Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a basic tablet - recommendations?

Options
  • 25-03-2012 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭

I am having a few problems with my laptop and was thinking of getting a tablet as a backup for my surfing/emailing/browsing. This is really all it would be used for, no great interest in Apps or gaming or anything.

I have seen plenty of good deals out there for the likes of the Xoom or the Playbook, or Archos models, but these often get average reviews.

Would they be good enough for what I need it for? I don't think I need an all-singing, all-dancing one loads with features.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd check out the Android forum.

I don't like the Xoom. We have one at work, and while it might have great hardware specs, no-one here finds it particularly nice to use. I had a play with the Archos 101 a couple of years ago, and it felt very cheaply made. I don't know what the newer ones are like.

I have a Samsung Tab plus (7" screen), and it's not bad to use. I just wanted something extra portable. The screen isn't as good as the iPad, but it's not bad at all as a device. I got a refurbed model for about 250 on eBay.

What's your budget? You can get other 7" tabs for half that price if you're not too pushed. Whatever you do though, get one with a capacitive screen, not a resistive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

today's ibood has the HTC flyer for a little over 200 quid.

Advertisement