Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Popular Music Had Its Day?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

This is always thrown around.

The decades I listed below give the artists with the most US #1's from each decade and that lasted the longest time frame;

1958-1969 : The Beatles, Elvis Presley, The Supremes, The Rolling Stones, Bobby Vinton, The Four Seasons

1970s : Bee Gees, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Andy Gibb, Paul McCartney and Wings, Roberta Flack, the Jackson 5, Tony Orlando and Dawn, Barbara Streisand, Donna Summer, Debby Bonne, Three Dog Night

1980s : Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie, Paul McCartney, George Michael, Stevie Wonder, Madonna, Phil Collins, George Michael, Whitney Houston, Olivia Newton-John, Diana Ross, Daryl Hall & John Oates

1990s : Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, Monica, Puff Daddy, TLC, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Celine Dion, Brandy, Brian Adams, Elton John

2000s : Usher, Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas, Nelly, 50 Cent, Alicia Keys, Jay-Z, Mariah Carey, Rihanna

2010s (so far) : Rihanna, Katy Perry, Adele, Kesha, Bruno Mars, Calvin Harris, Enimem, LMFAO, Snoop Dogg, Lady GaGa, Lauren Bennett, GoonRock

So yeah pop is and always has been the prominent music interest worldwide and has always been the largest market.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭bnt

karaokeman wrote: »
    This is always thrown around.

The decades I listed below give the artists with the most US #1's from each decade and that lasted the longest time frame;
    Not sure what your point is. The charts tell you what is selling the most at any time, but the absolute sales numbers and revenues have plummeted (see here). Never mind that what sells, and what is good, are two different things entirely ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

bnt wrote: »
    Never mind that what sells, and what is good, are two different things entirely ...

I never said if music sells well its better than music that doesn't.

I was pinpointing the fact, pop will always be more popular than other genres and it will always dominate the charts.

Some of it is good and some is s***e, thats the way it is and thats the way it always has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mike65 wrote: »
    While the market is very fragmented Adele (whatever one thinks of her material) is a reminder that an act can still sweep all before them. Its grim that the popular touchstone is whatever Simon Cowell gives his imprimatur to but this is probably just another phase -like SAW in the 80/90s or "Chinnichap" in the 70s.

Adele is a great artist. Love her stuff. But when she speaks in that South Eastern English screech I just have to switch off. The English accent is bad enough, but hers......grrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

biko wrote: »
    AH->Music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I never liked " popular " music or the crap played on TOTP etc... so as a young lad I got into Punk and New Wave which was seen as an alternative at the time - but this too became popular music. Each generation has something new and alternative, but eventually it becomes main-stream. There will always be popular music.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Take a look at this for any decade, and you'll see that the vast majority of songs are fairly forgettable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_number_ones

The mid 60's seem to be an exception. Being a short period where everybody from music snobs to teenyboppers liked the same music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

The 80s when i was a kid was worse if anything,Stock,Aiken and Waterman,some of the worst pop music of all time that lot,horrible 80s production(80s pop was the low point of music imo,just dreadful)

Disagree strongly. SAW aside, I Think 80s pop was some of greatest pop created.

Advertisement