Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma and Irish Pollen Count?

Options
  • 25-03-2012 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

My wife has severe asthma and something is triggering it over the last few days. I suspect it may be the mild weather and a subsequent rise in pollen. However I can't find any Irish pollen count online - the one on met.ie seems to have stopped last august and the one on the Irish Asthma Society also seems to be gone?

Has anyone any information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Get an allergy test done, pointless guessing when for a small fee you an put your finger on the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Get an allergy test done, pointless guessing when for a small fee you an put your finger on the cause.

Large fee to most of us and if it is plants then no help. wearing a mask if outdoors helps. Yes it will be pollens. My first year down south here saw bad times with new allergens but this year is easier thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

My wife has severe asthma and something is triggering it over the last few days. I suspect it may be the mild weather and a subsequent rise in pollen. However I can't find any Irish pollen count online - the one on met.ie seems to have stopped last august and the one on the Irish Asthma Society also seems to be gone?

Has anyone any information?

I get the pollen count on the regional forecast on met.ie every morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Hello bits and bobs,
    Has your wife changed her make up in any way over the past few days.
    Some one I know did this recently and found that her eyes were running and it was like she had a bad head cold.
    This might be the reason why she is having problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I thought I had hay fever, but it turned out to be dust mites, which is common as hell and more prevalent when it gets warmer. Without an allergy test you really are just guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

The pollen count has actually been very low all week so it may well not be pollen that's causing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Apologies - the OP was back in March.

I just checked met.ie and they have the pollen count back up and running:

09 May 2012 - Resumption of Pollen Forecasts
    Pollen forecasts have resumed for the 2012 summer season. They will be produced daily until August 7th (this covers the peak grass pollen season which is the main source of pollen in Ireland) and will consist of a separate forecast for each of the provinces plus the Greater Dublin Area.

We have done all the tests and she is allergic to pollen, though has a much more severe reaction to dust (the pollen reaction measured 50/300 while the dust one was 296/300(!!) - can't remember the name of the test).

One way or the other we are hoping for a much lower pollen count than last summer which was a complete disaster, so that her allergic levels are ok to start a course of immunology.

Advertisement