Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Down Gilet or Down Jacket?

Options
  • 25-03-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi, as the title says thinking of getting a down jacket / gilet - not sure which to go for.

Will be mainly used when camping / resting when hiking / leisure walks.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

If its for resting when hiking I'd with the jacket, it'll weigh slightly more but it's be a massive difference when you on an exposed mountain.
    I've used both and have to say they are great, definitely worth the money warmth wise. If its just for Irish use they might be a bit overkill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I agree with Gillo.

If it is for Irish use then stay away from down and go with synthethic as you can throw it on over your wet hardshell and it will still keep you warm even when wet.

A down jacket is virtually useless once it gets wet. Down is best kept for cold dry weather or snow whereby snow in it's nature will not soak through the fabric of a down jacket.

I have a rab belay jacket, look here for their latest offerings

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/primaloft_1.html

Most outdoor brands do a synthethic jacket starting from about €70 up to €200. Mine was €130 and never go on a hike without it. My down jacket is in the press for alpine trips/dry weather camping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Here's some independent reviews of synthetic jackets.

Sparrowcar explained it better than I did, but the other thing is good quality down is expensive, it'll last you years but it can be big money.

Advertisement