Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas - right to stop you and check tickets on the platform?

• 25-03-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭

I see on the Luas website that:

"Please be advised that ticket checks occur on-board & on stop platforms when a passenger has alighted a tram.

Tickets are checked by uniformed & plain clothes staff.

We will always show you an identification card prior to your ticket being checked."

I'm curious - obviously they have a right to check your tickets while you are on the tram - but do they really have a right to stop you outside it - is the platform their property like the tram or is it public space etc etc?

Edit: Answered my own question - Luas bylaws:

4. (1) A passenger, on entering a light rail vehicle, who is not in possession of a valid ticket, is liable to pay the standard fare.

(2) Where an authorised person observes an individual alighting from a light rail vehicle they may request that the individual produces a valid ticket for inspection on the stop platform.

(3) A passenger alighting from a light rail vehicle, who is not in possession of a valid ticket, is liable to pay the standard fare.

(4) An individual at a stop platform is not taken to be travelling on a tram service unless they came there by alighting from a tram.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its not unreasonable.

If you are at a stop and there is no tram, you should either have a ticket or be buying one, otherwise you are loitering.

If you've just got off a tram, you should have a ticket.

The platforms are RPA property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Seems they changed the bye-laws, it usen't to have (2) as stated in the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Victor wrote: »
    If you are at a stop and there is no tram, you should either have a ticket or be buying one, otherwise you are loitering.

That's a bit harsh, you could be waiting to pickup someone who is on a tram that's due to arrive soon. The by-laws acknowledge that not everyone standing at a stop is required to have a ticket.......

(4) An individual at a stop platform is not taken to be travelling on a tram service unless they came there by alighting from a tram

If I was standing inside Heuston Station (i.e. on Iarnrod Eireann property), not in possesion of a rail ticket but simply waiting for someone off the Galway train, would I be 'loitering'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chopp

I see on the Luas website that:

"Please be advised that ticket checks occur on-board & on stop platforms when a passenger has alighted a tram.

We will always show you an identification card prior to your ticket being checked."

I'm curious - obviously they have a right to check your tickets while you are on the tram - but do they really have a right to stop you outside it - is the platform their property like the tram or is it public space etc etc?

Edit: Answered my own question - Luas bylaws:

4. (1) A passenger, on entering a light rail vehicle, who is not in possession of a valid ticket, is liable to pay the standard fare.

(2) Where an authorised person observes an individual alighting from a light rail vehicle they may request that the individual produces a valid ticket for inspection on the stop platform.

(3) A passenger alighting from a light rail vehicle, who is not in possession of a valid ticket, is liable to pay the standard fare.

(4) An individual at a stop platform is not taken to be travelling on a tram service unless they came there by alighting from a tram.

I got asked for a ticket at fatima and just walked on, I don't see any reason how they could stop you if the STT aren't there, the STT are the only ones that could stop you because they're the only ones with batons.

Chopp wrote: »
    I got asked for a ticket at fatima and just walked on, I don't see any reason how they could stop you if the STT aren't there, the STT are the only ones that could stop you because they're the only ones with batons.

So you'll only comply with a legitimate request because they're carrying weapons. Do you expect ticket inspectors on Dublin Bus to carry guns?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They are not talking about ticket checking everyone on the platform, just the right to check those that have alighted the tram. People who got off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Can I ask you two questions?

1) Why would you not show your ticket when requested?
    2) Were you in possession of a valid ticket at the time of this request?

BTW the ticket inspectors can detain you if they wish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Loitering is a bit harsh. You could easily be waiting for some one who is travelling on a tram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm sure the difference between the two can be readily ascertained with the particular individual(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

I think they have bins on platforms, which may result in some people jumping to the conclusion that it is safe (or even intended) to would dispose of your ticket at that point.

• Advertisement

Its not unreasonable.
    coylemj wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh, you could be waiting to pickup someone who is on a tram that's due to arrive soon. The by-laws acknowledge that not everyone standing at a stop is required to have a ticket.......

(4) An individual at a stop platform is not taken to be travelling on a tram service unless they came there by alighting from a tram

godtabh wrote: »
    Loitering is a bit harsh. You could easily be waiting for some one who is travelling on a tram.
    I'm sure the difference between the two can be readily ascertained with the particular individual(s).

There's not much point in an inspector walking up to someone on the platform and asking to see a ticket if "I'm waiting for someone" is considered an acceptable answer - won't fare evaders just give that answer and thereby render the spot check an exercise in futility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

There's not much point in an inspector walking up to someone on the platform and asking to see a ticket if "I'm waiting for someone" is considered an acceptable answer - won't fare evaders just give that answer and thereby render the spot check an exercise in futility?

I don't think they are aiming for fair evaders on platforms more to move along the Junkies and the wineos who use it as a nice dry seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭An Udaras

Just to confirm in no way do STT private security carry any batons or other offensive weapons. They are private security who wear PSA ID Cards. They do not even carry handcuffs.

They however carry Maglite torches on a duty belt and a radio,first aid pouch and notebook along with a overt Black stab vest.

And as far we've been previously been able to determine STT are not Authorised persons under he LUAS Byelaws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I don't believe it's aimed at moving certain people off platforms. It's aimed at people who alight from a tram and may have used the excuse of "you can do nothing I'm not on one of your trams".

It means that people could in theory be checked as they disembark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

BrianD wrote: »
    I don't believe it's aimed at moving certain people off platforms. It's aimed at people who alight from a tram and may have used the excuse of "you can do nothing I'm not on one of your trams".

It means that people could in theory be checked as they disembark.

This is definitely the reason. I had my ticket checked once coming off a tram. But from the crowds of people on the platform, who were all being checked, I don't believe the ticket inspector had any clue whether I'd come off a tram or was passing by.

The idea that you have no business on a Luas platform if you're not getting the Luas is rubbish in many areas - St. Stephens Green, Abbey Street, Jervis.

Advertisement