Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile phone package advice

• 25-03-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I am out of contract next week with Vodafone. Has anyone any advice for me on a good deal . I would like to get an I phone if I could ( pref for free !! ) I dont mind a contract provided it wont tie me for years . I have heard there are good deals with meteor and O2 but I have no experience with dealing with any company other than Vodafone. Or how good their coverage is . I would also have a need for a package with an internet allowance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

Hi Curly, maybe you could post more info about your usage ie how many calls & txt you send in a month, how much your average bill is, if possible what network you call the most ( i know this isnt easily measured but some people know what their friends are on), also may be handy to know what the coverage on various networks is like in your area. Answering these few question may help us recommend a suitable package and network for you.

Regards
    Dunny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Bear in mind, O2 have really small data limits so I would personally avoid them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭ofcork

One thing about o2 and the small data packages,in their t&cs you can buy extra data a gig is around 7 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

ofcork wrote: »
    One thing about o2 and the small data packages,in their t&cs you can buy extra data a gig is around 7 euro.

Just think they are very expensive in comparison to other networks. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

I am out of contract next week with Vodafone. Has anyone any advice for me on a good deal . I would like to get an I phone if I could ( pref for free !! ) I dont mind a contract provided it wont tie me for years . I have heard there are good deals with meteor and O2 but I have no experience with dealing with any company other than Vodafone. Or how good their coverage is . I would also have a need for a package with an internet allowance.

The iPhone is available, as a subsidised handset, on 3, Vodafone, Meteor, eMobile and O2.

You asked for the handset for free and no long contract. Not possible. All reasonable contracts with the iPhone are 18 months or 24 months.

3 have the iPhone 4S 16GB for 69 EUR on a 40.66 EUR a month plan for 24 months. This is one of the better iPhone deals out there.

You could always buy the iPhone sim free with Apple and go prepay or sim only bill pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

djdunny wrote: »
    Hi Curly, maybe you could post more info about your usage ie how many calls & txt you send in a month, how much your average bill is, if possible what network you call the most ( i know this isnt easily measured but some people know what their friends are on), also may be handy to know what the coverage on various networks is like in your area. Answering these few question may help us recommend a suitable package and network for you.

Regards
    Dunny

This may sound mad but to be honest I ve been on a company phone in a package for the last 10 years so I actually have no clue at all what my usage is ... I know that may sound crazy... but thats the way it is. I was lucky . I do use web texts where possible . I would call 087. 086 regularly but almost never 085. I am actually thinking about going top up with my current phone for a few months to see how it goes and maybe to try and work out my usage , non bill phone would have no internet usage though ? Presume as my phone is out of contract this week I can go top up with any company ?
    Thanks for the helpful answers and replies so far. I did queue in our local phone shop but the queue didnt seen to be moving and I had to bail .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 trazoo

Sorry to butt in on this but would any of you guys have any experience of 3 mobile. I know the customer service can be quite annoying but the deals seem quite goo. Transferring myself from o2 as I find their coverage is plop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,917 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This may sound mad but to be honest I ve been on a company phone in a package for the last 10 years so I actually have no clue at all what my usage is ... I know that may sound crazy... but thats the way it is. I was lucky . I do use web texts where possible . I would call 087. 086 regularly but almost never 085. I am actually thinking about going top up with my current phone for a few months to see how it goes and maybe to try and work out my usage , non bill phone would have no internet usage though ? Presume as my phone is out of contract this week I can go top up with any company ?
    Thanks for the helpful answers and replies so far. I did queue in our local phone shop but the queue didnt seen to be moving and I had to bail .
    If you want an iPhone you'll need decent data so I'd say forget VF and O2 anyway

That leaves 3 (infamous customer care but decent packages I guess) or meteor/emobile.

If you've been used to an "unlimited" plan (which by the sound of it you were effectively were on with your work phone), I'd suggest meteor or emobile (meteor but cheaper). Downside is that their data coverage can be crap outside the city but that may not be an issue for you?

I pay about €60 on emobile and get "free" calls and texts to every network and regular landlines (you can't go by someone's prefix to tell what network they're with these days with the ease of porting and keeping their number) as well as 15GB data for my Galaxy S2.

Now... that said I did have a lot of problems with their billing operations but got it sorted in the end but it was still better than dealing with 3's "robots"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    If you want an iPhone you'll need decent data so I'd say forget VF and O2 anyway

I always hear people say this...but not sure why exactly. Why does an iPhone require more data than any other smartphone (android in particular) ? Is it something to do with syncing music to itunes or something...or is it a scam to make iPhone owners pay more?

Advertisement