Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psychic Sleuths Drive Gardai Mad

Comments

28064212 wrote: »
    Link? Name of anyone involved? Date range? Because a range of google searches for related terms is showing up nothing

As above

Im not going to give the info on the first one as its not in the public domain. For the second one , its up to that boardsie to tell the story. I do think they posted about it in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Im not going to give the info on the first one as its not in the public domain. For the second one , its up to that boardsie to tell the story. I do think they posted about it in the past.
    A simple "No, I have nothing to back up my bizarre claims" would have sufficed

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

44leto wrote: »
    That really is the crux of it. If any psychics, clairvoyants or seers did exist, with even a small ability, these people would be trillionaires. They could win every lottery or gamble and corner every stock and commodity exchange in the world. They could hire Bill Gates or Warren Buffet as their drivers..

Maybe Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are psychics :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

If psychics existed, they could prove themselves. And make money in the process.

James Randi offers probably the most famous prize for anyone who can prove their psychic claims: $1million. About 1000 people have taken the challenge in the 15 or so years of being on offer. It's still unclaimed.

Here's a list of other prizes. All unclaimed.

A simple "No, I have nothing to back up my bizarre claims" would have sufficed

Well i do have information to back up what i say, but i dont have to give that information. You could look it up yourself. But i guess that would be too much work for you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Well i do have information to back up what i say, but i dont have to give that information. You could look it up yourself. But i guess that would be too much work for you :rolleyes:
    Link? Name of anyone involved? Date range? Because a range of google searches for related terms is showing up nothing. As above

:confused:

If psychics existed, they could prove themselves. And make money in the process.

James Randi offers probably the most famous prize for anyone who can prove their psychic claims: $1million. About 1000 people have taken the challenge in the 15 or so years of being on offer. It's still unclaimed.

Here's a list of other prizes. All unclaimed.

James Randi is worse then psychics, he makes his money by saying something doesnt exist.

Already stated that I tried, with the vague, minimal information you provided, and found nothing.

But it's ok, I have evidence that all psychics are shams and none of them have any supernatural abilities whatsoever. I'm not going to post it here though, look it up yourself

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

James Randi is worse then psychics, he makes his money by saying something doesnt exist.

Until something is proven to or has evidence that it exists, the default position is that it doesn't exist. But thanks for ignoring the actual point of the post.

• Advertisement

Already stated that I tried, with the vague, minimal information you provided, and found nothing.

But it's ok, I have evidence that all psychics are shams and none of them have any supernatural abilities whatsoever. I'm not going to post it here though, look it up yourself

As you said you have "Evidence" that all psychics are shams. Its not proof is it ? You see im a skeptic and i only deal with proof.

As you said you have "Evidence" that all psychics are shams. Its not proof is it ? You see im a skeptic and i only deal with proof.
    WHHOOOOSSSHHHHHHHH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The Gardai should simply refuse to engage with them in any way.
    I knew you were going to say that. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Stop talking rubbish. You asserted 2 situations where psychics have directly provided information that solved cases however have failed to provide any details. You're giving me a headache and I can't find my healing crystals anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I did say it was a long shot but it may be worth a shot if a police investigation did not lead a to a satisfactory conclusion.

There is a fair probability that it may not help but why not?

If you're looking for a body, why not go to random forest and dig a hole? There's a fair probability that the body won't be there, but why not look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

This thread is made of 100% gold.
    All the ingredients for a great read.....

A small minorty of people who are stupid...
    A large minorty of genuinely funny intelligent people to make fun of the idots....
    Total lack of evidence to back up the minority...
    Overwhelmeing evidence to back up the majority....

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

If science is so strong why are the cases still unsolved?

Ah come on. That's the equivalent of grabbing stephen hawking by the neck and repeatedly slapping him across the face shouting "Your science doesn't help you now. Where's your science now, huh?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    The guards don't have to investigate anything they don't want to. If the family wants to take it up with the ombudsman they can. I smell fishiness.

Say I know for a fact where a body is buried. I could go to the guards claiming I'm psychic or go to a psychic and give them the cues to put two and two together and let them off to tell the guards.

The guards can ignore it but they also risk overlooking credible factual information dressed as psychic gobbledygook. That is kernel of the problem. If someone says they dreamt seeing a body in a field they may just have seen the bloody thing being put there and dress it up to (mistakenly) avoid the harder questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Isnt there a hitherto unclaimed huge prize that anyone that can prove their psychic abilities can claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Are you serious with that interpretation, he OFFERED 1 million to anyone who could prove they had extra sensory abilities, but he kept his money. BECAUSE nobody could prove they had.

He was well equipped to make such a proposition because he was a magician as well as a scientist. I watched him on tele do the Uri Gellor spoon bending trick.

I take it you are not one of those guys that sh!t green when David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hey Mr. Psychic Man - can you tell what I'm thinking now?

"Are you thinking 'All psychics are a bunch of fraudulent money-grubbing hacks'?"

Holy sh*t you're right! Maybe there's something to this after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

:o

You serious? Is this Psychic Sally?

'psychics' have been proven to be chancers. It's all been explained, just like many magic tricks. Unless of course you still believe in rabbits coming into existence in black hats? "TAADDAA!"

As you said you have "Evidence" that all psychics are shams. Its not proof is it ? You see im a skeptic child, and i only deal with proof plasticine.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Very funny. Three 'psychics' exposed on BBC3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4qGfNViVN8&feature=related

Gangsters and crooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭slimpickens

Im hearing something from a John... or Jonathan.

Yes?

He is asking about a pet that he had or you have

Were you sick or in hospital recently? maybe just visiting someone?...Yes?...he wants to know about that

Now im hearing a Mary...

Gangsters and crooks.
    LOL
    Class, brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I did say it was a long shot but it may be worth a shot if a police investigation did not lead a to a satisfactory conclusion.

There is a fair probability that it may not help but why not?

So if I approach a family desperate to find their missing relative and tell them I can help for a small(ish) fee and then randomly point to a location on a map you're ok with that?
    I don't have anything against the family who are vulnerable at the time but as a society it is our job to protect people in their moments of vulnerability and stop charlatans and frauds from scamming them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Wossack wrote: »
    !

he's a witch!

But I don't float.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

hightower1 wrote: »
    This thread is made of 100% gold.
    All the ingredients for a great read.....

A small minorty of people who are stupid...
    A large minorty of genuinely funny intelligent people to make fun of the idots....
    Total lack of evidence to back up the minority...
    Overwhelmeing evidence to back up the majority....

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

:D:D:D

The thread has potential but we'd need to bring in a few of the regulars of another forum around these parts that deals with the paranormal. I don't see it happening though. AH is a tough place for people who believe in nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Obviously the Gaurds wouldn't spend money if it wasn't working for them... oh wait a second. :pac:

• Advertisement

Gangsters and crooks.

Thats it case closed :rolleyes: I myself like Bill Maher preach "i dont know". Nobody on this forum will be able to produce conclusive proof either way.

Oh and by the way , the guy in that video Ciaran O'keeffe , i have met him on a number of occasions, is actually from the same street as me. If you ask him if psychics exist ? He would tell you "I dont know" Because there is no conclusive proof either way.

Thats it case closed :rolleyes: I myself like Bill Maher preach "i dont know". Nobody on this forum will be able to produce conclusive proof either way.

Oh and by the way , the guy in that video Ciaran O'keeffe , i have met him on a number of occasions, is actually from the same street as me. If you ask him if psychics exist ? He would tell you "I dont know" Because there is no conclusive proof either way.
    Lol, I can only assume you've never heard of Russell's teapot. I take it you can't prove that I don't have proof that all psychics are a total sham?

Any chance of those links you claim to have? You know, the ones that are explicitly relevant to the topic and would instantly produce some sort of useful discussion point?

Any chance of those links you claim to have? You know, the ones that are explicitly relevant to the topic and would instantly produce some sort of useful discussion point?

I could give you them but what would it prove ? Also why should i. The people i want to hear from are the people who are in the know like 44Leto who says this is catagorically "Crap" He oviously knows so maybe we can hear his findings. Again i could be wrong but he brings up science alot, i cant prove it but he could be a scientist. So 44Leto can you tell us how you came to the decision that psychics are crap, also was your test done under test conditions ??

People say it is crap because there is absolutely no evidence for it. You claim to have some but refuse to give it when asked.

You're asking why should you give it while asking for contrary evidence yourself.

Are you confused? Cause I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

There's a weirdo on another forum I'm on the claims to have solved "many cases" for her local police but can't cite any because the police won't admit they use a psychic :D

Professional bullsh*ter... as if they wouldn't go claim that million quid if they truly thought they could.

I could give you them but what would it prove ? Also why should i. The people i want to hear from are the people who are in the know like 44Leto who says this is catagorically "Crap" He oviously knows so maybe we can hear his findings. Again i could be wrong but he brings up science alot, i cant prove it but he could be a scientist. So 44Leto can you tell us how you came to the decision that psychics are crap, also was your test done under test conditions ??

You don't have to be a scientist to know that this is categorical crap, ghosts and spirits have no mass or energy and exist only in the mind of man. We make them with our imagination and that is all they are, imagined spectres of now real world substance.

Scooby doo always snared them they were always the fairground caretaker dressed up. Whhoooo now don't get nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I have a fool-proof test which shows whether a psychic is lying or not.

I look at the psychic.

If they're talking, the test is positive.

RichieC wrote: »
    There's a weirdo on another forum I'm on the claims to have solved "many cases" for her local police but can't cite any because the police won't admit they use a psychic :D

Professional bullsh*ter... as if they wouldn't go claim that million quid if they truly thought they could.

As someone mentioned earlier, if psychics were real, there would be zero unsolved cases. And they'd be millionaires

So I take it you didn't look up Russell's teapot? If you had, you might realise that the burden of proof lies upon the person making the scientifically unverified claim.

Can you tell us how you came to the decision that using monkeys to randomly point at a map and start digging was not a good use of police time? Was your test done under test conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I know a girl who says all this psychic stuff used on police cases has been scientifically proven to work.

I should've rang the Gardaì and reported her brain was missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I could give you them but what would it prove ? Also why should i.

You should because you made the claims. If you aren't willing to back them up we'll dismiss them as crap.

That's how rational thought works.

So I take it you didn't look up Russell's teapot? If you had, you might realise that the burden of proof lies upon the person making the scientifically unverified claim.

Can you tell us how you came to the decision that using monkeys to randomly point at a map and start digging was not a good use of police time? Was your test done under test conditions?

"The body is buried near a tree, by a river, near the coast".

That seems a good psychic prediction and when or if the body is found and it is found near a tree, by a river, near the coast. The psychic usually says "see I told you so". You can use broad descriptions to predict anything, astrobollicky does it all the time.

It's not so much as a lot of posters suggest that people who claim to have psychic abilities are all fraudulent and charlatans some falsely and delusionally believe they have such gifts but never go on to make a living out of them. But the ones that do, for them its a living out of a magicians trick. An unfortunately lucrative one for a depressingly gullible public.

Last year I predicted Dublin would win the All Ireland, I even won money on the bet. See I am a seer.
    But I have been predicting they would win the all Ireland since 1995 and lost my bet each year,,,ehh I am predicting we will do it again.
    If you only met me last year you would be impressed, but if you knew me for a while, you wouldn't. Its as the saying goes a stopped clock is right twice a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

if even one of them is genuine why not collect the 20 grand keith barry has on offer for a genuine psychic?

he still has his money.........mmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I've had direct experience with psychics in a missing person case that absolutely ruined my relationship with the parents of the missing person. As I was the last to see my friend, naturally a lot of attention was on me. So a few weeks after he went missing they contacted some famous psychic from the states who described me 100% then went on to tell the parents that I know where he is bla bla bla. Other psychics locally in Ireland began saying the same stuff. His best friend knows where he is and is hiding him etc.

That and the misleading leads, searching forests and lakes for his body guided the families search methods, at the time it gave them hope, but gave me an awful headache.

So for me psychics I steer clear of as the damage they can cause can be very hurtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

But I don't float.

Well then you'll have a proper christian burial. But if in fact you do float, I'll kindly request that you politely bob back over to the angry mob, to be burned at the stake

• Advertisement

And some more proof that psychics don't work. If they did, police detectives wouldn't exist. Every policeforce in the world would have a team of psychics. Every murder case and every missing person case would have a team of psychics working on it.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    And some more proof that psychics don't work. If they did, police detectives wouldn't exist. Every policeforce in the world would have a team of psychics. Every murder case and every missing person case would have a team of psychics working on it.

This is incorrect. If the "psychic ability" had been proven to exist. This means you would have to go by this persons word. You still need evidence for the conviction. Also who's to stop the psychic from lying. It would never work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

This is incorrect. If the "psychic ability" had been proven to exist. This means you would have to go by this persons word. You still need evidence for the conviction. Also who's to stop the psychic from lying. It would never work.

Since when did you need evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

ITT someone grasps at every straw they can to justify their belief in charlatans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

You see im a skeptic and i only deal with proof.

Ehm...hate to point this out to you but you can't be a 'skeptic' and only deal in 'proof' and believe in psychics as that would require having actual, unrefutable....well....(wait for it).....PROOF.

And just in case you're a bit hazy on what proof is :

evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement