Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertility testing

Options
  • 25-03-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a way to get tested when you're not actually trying to have kids.

I'm 26 years old and not trying to get pregnant, but having children is incredibly important to me and I have this somewhat irrational fear of having fertility problems. Both my grandmothers had hard times conceiving babies, (both of my parents are only children). Though my mother had no problems and I am one of three children I still have this fear that if I leave having kids to my thirties it'll be too late?

I know that this is not totally rational and odds are everything is fine, but I'd still like to get tested to be sure.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

There really isnt a definative test - You can get many different tests done - such as blood tests for your hormone levels, testing for STD's (which could affect fertilty) AMH tests, Ovarian reserve etc. and check out fine, and still have difficulty, or your tests could highlight something that in theory should make it more difficult to conceive yet you end up getting pregnant right away.

You must remember that you are only working with 50% of the genetics that your future child would have. Even if you checked out perfectly, whoever you end up having children with may have sub-standard fertility.

Also, in your grandmothers day, they wouldnt have had the knowledge on their fertiity that we have today - we know so much more about our cycles, our hormones, our fertile days, even overall nutrition and exercise awareness that your grandmothers simply didnt have.

There have been amazing advances in the realms of assisted reproduction that simply was not available in your grandparents era. For instance, they may not have been tested for Rhesus Negative blood type, there are medications that assist and improve chances of getting and staying pregnant, long before IVF needs to be considered.

My aunt struggled for years to get pregnant, where her sisters popped them out - my aunt and her husband were chain smokers, and I think that was a huge factor.

While it is correct to say that your fertility declines somewhat in your thirties, it only declines significantly after 35 so you have a bit of time yet. I was 33 when I started trying, and we had unexplained infertility - all our tests came back perfect, yet 3 cycles of Clomid and I was sorted.

I'd suggest that you go to your GP to get the tests available done. Its no harm to see everything is in good working order. However, you'd need to come off hormonal contraceptives if you are taking any - they cant test you for ovulation if your pill supresses it for example. Then the rest is up to you - good diet, regular exercise, healthy weight, moderate alcohol, quit smoking etc. helps an awful lot. There is a book "taking charge of your fertility" which seems to be quite good. (I havent read it myself, so am only going by what other forum users say)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

You can do all the tests in the world, all come back clear adn still never get pregnant. It happened to my friend and her husband. they could find nothing wrong but it just never happened for them.

Unfortunately, you never know if you can get pregnant until you are pregnant.

Advertisement