Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacking out solo

Options
  • 25-03-2012 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi All
    Just brought a broodmare back into work.She is now reasonably fit and needs some roadwork.The problem is that when she leaves the arena she immediately tries to turn back.We can drive her down the road with somebody behind her with a lunge whip and the rider working hard. Dont want to have to pair her up as she will have to do a lot on her own during the Summer. Any ideas would be very welcome.Her saddle and tack are all fine and she works really well in the arena.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 godolphin55

Hi Poppo,
    My tip is try to bring her out on a circuit ,rather than walking 2 miles down the road and then turning around because you will find that she will pick up bad habits very fast , All i would recommend trotting her (if possible for the first 10 mins) it will take the fight out of her. But my top tip is not to let her have her way because if that happens she will think she is the boss all the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'd agree with godolphin in enforcing your way and not letting your horse doing what it wants. It may take a bit of work at the start but she will learn eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Poppo

Thanks for that folks. Yea Im long enough around horses to know not to let them away with it what I am hoping for is some time saving relevations and even better if they didnt involve sticks and wavin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I had this problem a few years back with a returning broodmare.
    I long reined her out the gate and down the road and then rode her back. After a few days I got up on her once we were out of sight of the yard and rode away.
    Then I just tried it from th yard in the second week and away she went.

Advertisement