Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning French

• 25-03-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi,

I find languages (excluding English) to be very difficult to get to grips with. I've been learning my vocabulary and I've been doing my comprehensions and journal intimes but I'm still struggling.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on learning French as I would like to do well in it in the leaving certificate but I would also love to be able to speak it as a second language one day.

Thanks.

~Mulciber

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Learn off all your phrases and just know your grammar inside out! If you have a wide enough range of phrases it should cover all your written questions. For the topics just learn some good vocabulary and maybe some statistics you can stick in.
    For the comprehensions just keep doing them over and over. Do it without a dictionary first and then get a teacher to check your answers. Any words you don't know look them up because they could be useful :D that's what I'm doing anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 School of french

There are a number of things that you could do to improve your chances the day of the exam:
    1. Download the aural french on to your ipod and have it playing without necessarily actively listening.
    2. Go on to certain websites which give you easy to read articles in French and pick out 20 words a day that you put into sentences.
    3. A grasp of the subjunctive is key to a very good leaving cert. Look up the subjunctive in your book and learn off a few phrases that take subjunctive.
    4. Go over your exam papers and pick out the verbs and learn them every day.
    5. Be sure to give French about 40 minutes a day between now and the exam.
    Bonne Chance!!

Advertisement