Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to study on Sundays!!!

• 25-03-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I was just wondering, how do ye study on Sundays or even Saturdays? As in, do ye make timetables and things like that.... or where do ye study so you don't become distracted? I'm currently swinging around in my chair throwing a ball into a bin and I really can't get myself to study! It's fine on weekdays just not on weekends!

So, how do you study on weekends? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

First of all, how do you study at home on weekdays? If you study in the same place on weekends it should make it easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

I used to have the same problem as you. What I began to do was get up early (8/9 am) and go for a jog, come home, eat breakfast and then set out a list of things I was going to have studied during the day. By this stage you should be wide awake and ready for studying because of your jog. So you sit at your desk and start studying. Every time you achieve a study goal that you can tick off on your list, give yourself a 5-10 min break as a reward. Then at the end of the day give yourself a 1 hour break to wind down before going to bed.

It's not easy but you just have to be strong willed and persistent.

Good Luck! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

A 5-10 Min break??? An hour at the end of the day to wind down??? You obiously must be aiming for extremely high points. What about people who have other commitments such as work or sport. I know these have to be cut out in the weeks before the exams but if you continue to study the way you are your going to be burnt out

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lausie93

Well i babysit on a Saturday from 6 until 7 and try to get an hour or two done during the day and i had been taking a Sunday off (in case i 'burn out' from all the hard work i've been doing) Then i realised i have to study Sunday because i really need to. I think if you think about how much you want to do that course in college or whatever after school it helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Usually I'm up at 9, get dressed have breakfast watch something on TV and start for 10. Then I do three hours with no breaks, go have lunch, then do another three hours then I'm finished unless I decide to come back at 6 or 7 for an hour or so. I don't really think theres much point doing more than 6/7 hours on a day off because study is a lot more intense than school and thats longer than a school day.

• Advertisement

bobjimmy wrote: »
    A 5-10 Min break??? An hour at the end of the day to wind down??? You obiously must be aiming for extremely high points. What about people who have other commitments such as work or sport. I know these have to be cut out in the weeks before the exams but if you continue to study the way you are your going to be burnt out

Well, it's working for me so far. I play an instrument and on Saturdays I play in a brass band from 6pm to 10pm. That's my break really. I don't have a job or sports so the rest of my time is really open to just do study and homework. That's just my opinion of how to get high marks and it's the way I structure my homework/study. I'm an A/B student who's in the top of most of his classes and I would like to achieve high points in the LC because I'm an academic type of guy.

mulciber wrote: »
    Well, it's working for me so far. I play an instrument and on Saturdays I play in a brass band from 6pm to 10pm. That's my break really. I don't have a job or sports so the rest of my time is really open to just do study and homework. That's just my opinion of how to get high marks and it's the way I structure my homework/study. I'm an A/B student who's in the top of most of his classes and I would like to achieve high points in the LC because I'm an academic type of guy.

That makes more sense, it came across like you were up at 8 in the morning jogging then studying until 10 at night. :P

Chuchoter wrote: »
    That makes more sense, it came across like you were up at 8 in the morning jogging then studying until 10 at night. :P

Haha, I wish I was that regimented. =L I do about 6-7 hours of homework/study on the weekend days and and about 3-4 on weekdays. =)

mulciber wrote: »
    Haha, I wish I was that regimented. =L I do about 6-7 hours of homework/study on the weekend days and and about 3-4 on weekdays. =)

Lol we're the exact same then. God I was worried there for a minute, maybe be I should be doing 15/16 hours a day too!! :P

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Lol we're the exact same then. God I was worried there for a minute, maybe be I should be doing 15/16 hours a day too!! :P

That would be overdoing it a bit. =P Maybe 2 or 3 weeks before the LC though. =L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I leave one day at the weekend as a rest day which is usually Saturday I do try and do a few hours . Then Sunday
    I usually do 2/3hours at least so I've done something. I have to wake up early otherwise I'll get distracted. If I was to spend the whole day like 6 hours. I'd take a break halfway after 3 hours maybe go for a walk and get fresh air or the gym then I come back feeling focused . I also block my distraction websites such as facebook for the amount of time I want to study for which helps. Then I just use the internet if I need to check e-xamit or examinations. I usually set an alarm on my itouch for each time of study and then when it goes off I know it's time to move on to the next subject and I don't need to worry about checking the time. My phone stays upstairs or out of view.

If you have a mac self control is a good website blocker and if not then stayfocused on google chrome is quite good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

I really don't understand how some people can dedicate a whole 6 or 7 hours to study :/ I've been doing two hours of evening study after school Mon-Thurs since September and have only recently started studying at the weekends - which is really just 3 hours in the library on a Saturday and then an hour or two on Sunday (if even..) Homework comes somewhere in between all of that. I never bring my homework with me to evening study, that way I have to do it when I get home afterwards.
    Hopefully this is enough for me, it's managed to get me just about what I need points-wise but obviously I'll up my game after Easter.
    Any form of study on a Sunday no matter how much, is an achievement in my books!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lausie93

Is anybody doing all honours subjects?? And hoping for around 500 points??
    Does everybody use timetables? I just can't, find them pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I really don't understand how some people can dedicate a whole 6 or 7 hours to study :/ I've been doing two hours of evening study after school Mon-Thurs since September and have only recently started studying at the weekends - which is really just 3 hours in the library on a Saturday and then an hour or two on Sunday (if even..) Homework comes somewhere in between all of that. I never bring my homework with me to evening study, that way I have to do it when I get home afterwards.
    Hopefully this is enough for me, it's managed to get me just about what I need points-wise but obviously I'll up my game after Easter.
    Any form of study on a Sunday no matter how much, is an achievement in my books!
    On a Weekend? I would easily spend at least 5/6 hours on a Saturday studying. Probably about 3 on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sarahm1994

I don't bother with timetables either, can't stand them and would probably spend more time decorating the timetable than adhering to it! I usually structure it around going out or a tv programme i wanna watch (sad i know). I love the voice on rte on sundays so i try get up and study like mad all afternoon (say 12-6.30 with a break for lunch for 30mins). It's easier cause all day I'm thinking "oh better hurry up and finish this subject or I'll miss The Voice"...... Man I sound cool right now. But it works for me :D

Advertisement