Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which are the best parts?

Options
  • 25-03-2012 4:41pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey so I have an old PC I want to upgrade:
    Antec NSK 4480 case
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (4MB L2 Cache)
    Patriot 2GB PC6400 (800MHz)
    ATI HD 4870 1GB
    motherboard is nForce 650i Ultra
    PSU Corsair TX 650W

So I started out looking for some ram and ended up buying a full pc(:pac:) and want to combine the best of both and sell the other pc.
    Antec 300 case
    Quad Q8300 (2.33ghz I think)
    4gb ballistix ram 800mhz 4-4-4-12
    gigabyte GA-eg45m-ud2h mobo
    asus HD 5770 1gb
    oryx hercules 750w

So what do you think would be the best of each?

I am thinking maybe all of the second pc with the psu of the first is best?
    Second case seems better?
    The 5770 actually seems a little slower than a 4870 but has dx11?

Also I have a stock cooler for the q8300(says delta .60A on it) and one for a 2500k(says nidec 0.20A), would these be different at all? Apart from the 2500k one is new so I should stick that in?

need some screws for hdds and the GA-eg45m-ud2h, would maplin be the best bet?
    Do they have decent thermal paste?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The PSU in the second one looks like rubbish anyway. The 4870 would have a little edge over the 5770 although most likely noisier and less efficient.
    Hard to tell with the motherboards without the exact model but it's likely there's not a whole lot of difference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ok so psu in the first it is.

noise is fine, so just concerned with which is beter, the 4870 seems to be a little faster and the 5770 seems to have dx11 support, or so a quick google says :-p

The exact model is nforce 650i ultra rev A2. The gigabyte one certainly looks a lot shinier but I have no idea how to compare em.

so I think one is this: http://www.evga.com/articles/356.asp
    and the other is: http://ee.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-eg45m-ud2h_10/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well i agree with above. keep second pc and keep psu from your old pc.

if you can sell the rest, then try getting second 5770? quite efficient and would perfectly for ya.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks, will either keep one 4870 or try and get the second 5770 if I kept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

Can your mobo crossfire the 4870 and 5770? That would be your best bet I'd say!

• Advertisement

Neither of the boards support crossfire.

Markd250 wrote: »
    Can your mobo crossfire the 4870 and 5770? That would be your best bet I'd say!
    Is that even possible on a board that supports xfire?
    Monotype wrote: »
    Neither of the boards support crossfire.

haha that's that sorted, 4870 it is.

On the other hand, the 5770 would have a few extra features like eyefinity... not that you'd be gaming with 3 monitors on that card, but it would useful.

So more raw power vs newer features.
    Is that even possible on a board that supports xfire?

There's three ways that you can mix cards with crossfire that I can think of.
    1) Hybrid crossfire - crossfiring with onboard graphics. Usually with select chipsets and only with lower end cards.
    2) Crossfiring within a series. You can usually crossfire things like a 4850 with a 4870. There's a table on the AMD forums outlining this but it's usually only within a subseries of cards that are already very similar.
    3) Lucid Hydra chipset where you can pair up any cards - even AMD with nVidia.

Advertisement