Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL Paper II 2012- What will you be learning?

• 25-03-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

So I said i'd set up this thread to find out what everyone else is thinking of learning for Paper II this year, I think it would be interesting to see people's opinions on what's too much to learn, what you should learn etc.

So, for the 3 sections on Paper II, i'm learning the following:

Hamlet:
    • Deception
    • Appearance V.S Reality
    • Theme of Love
    • Character of Hamlet
    • Character of Polonius
    • Character of Horatio
    • Characterisation of the Women in the play
    • Soliloquys
    • Imagery
    Comparative:
    • Literary Genre- Narrative Techniques, Key Moments
    • General Vision & Viewpoint- Key Moments, How GV+V is understood and how it effects my response to the texts
    • Theme & Issue- My response to how the major theme is illustrated
    Poetry:
    • Adrienne Rich (5 poems. Major themes, images, language used etc.)
    • Sylvia Plath (5 poems. And the same as above)
    • Thomas Kinsella (5 poems. " ")
    • Seamus Heaney (5 poems. " ")
    • Philip Larkin (5 poems. " ")
    Gosh, this worries me a bit! :eek: Extremely worried about Hamlet however, the questions are so broad! So, what's everyone else doing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Everything.

Lol no but I don't have it split into things so strictly, I'm learning all the quotes and writing a few sweeping essays on the poets covering everything they do. I'm doing 6/7 poems for everyone but larkin.
    Few things in hamlet I haven't done properly though, namely horatio, soliloquies and imagery/language. I highly doubt you'd get a whole question on polonius :S
    I'm doing theme and literary genre for my comparative, more or less write the same thing for those every time anyway then refer back to the question every now and again.

I don't find theres really a massive amount you can 'learn' for English, you learn the basics and then manipulate it on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I've absolutley nothing done for Hamlet. I'm actually gonna do so **** in the leaving. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I'm doing the following:

Hamlet
    1. Importance of Soliliquays
    2. Theme of Deception
    3. Themes of Loyalty and Betrayal
    4. Appeal to a modern audience
    5. An important scene and how it shaped the play (maybe)
    6. Should we admire Hamlet?
    7. The role of women in the play

The Comparative
    1. General vision and viewpoint : Just learning of one big essay I'll fit in, worked well in the mocks!
    2. Theme and issure - Key moments

Poetry
    1. Kinsella : His theme of death
    2. Plath : An essay on her poetic techniques and imagery
    3. Larkin : Essay on his poetic techniques and imagery
    4. Heaney : Ugh don't know, don't like him, just look over his poems in case disaster happens :P
    5. Kavanagh : Just going to look over his poems

Great idea for a thread btw, it'll be very interesting to see what everyone else is doing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I've absolutley nothing done for Hamlet. I'm actually gonna do so **** in the leaving. :(
    Yes, nothing done at alllll I'm sure despite your A2 :rolleyes: :pac: We're only revising Hamlet in class atm, calm yo tits!

For poetry I'm learning all except Kinsella because poetry is really easy to remember imo :) Comparative I'm doing Theme and GV+V but mainly GV+V, and for Hamlet, um...not sure. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Not doing Hamlet..
    Im basically just learning off essays.
    For poetry im learning Heany, Larkin and Plath, Ill just look over boland aswell
    For the comparitive im just learning off a general essay on theme or issue and vision and viiewpoint. Hoping for a C1/B3. Hope this will be enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

I'm doing Plath, Rich, Boland and Heaney. I'm just going to do one essay on each that deals with everything so I can then adapt it to the question in the exam (hopefully). I'm doing five poems on each.

I'm unsure on what to do for Hamlet, I have done nothbing for it so far, only read it in class in fifth year. I'm going to reread it now but just wondering what sort of essays I should focus on as theres not much time left? Someone told me that a question on a charactor always comes up so should I just focus on the charactors rather than themes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

When do they print the lc papers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Poets
    Plath
    Heaney
    Kinsella
    Kavanagh
    Rich

5 poems for each, under 3 or 4 themes. I've each poet summarized in two A4 pages, just have to learn those.

Comparative
    The Kite Runner - Inside I'm Dancing - Dancing At Lughnasa
    Literary Genre
    Theme or Issue

Just learning the things I need to compare e.g. dialogue, narration - presuming I can adapt to any question on the day.

Hamlet
    Character of Hamlet - tragic hero, soliloquies, why we admire him, etc
    Role of women
    Revenge/deception

Not sure what else yet. I might write an essay on Claudius over the next few weeks, just in case. I can probably wing it a bit in the exam if something else comes up.

When it's listed out like this, there actually isn't that much to learn for English. It makes it seem more manageable. I was a bit iffy about English before but after the pre I'm determined to do well in it.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Yes, nothing done at alllll I'm sure despite your A2 :rolleyes: :pac: We're only revising Hamlet in class atm, calm yo tits

Total fluke that Mock was! :confused:

Ahhhhhhhhhh.. I NEED this A2.. I have a funny feeling it mighn't happen! :( . Are ye guys learning essay plans or what for Paper II?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hotfuzz2

Are you guys learning off Hamlet essays? I thought it'd be easier and more skillful to know the text inside out and pick the aspects of the play that relate to the question and elaborate?

• Advertisement

Guys, do you think if I learned a Sample answer off really well for all of the Comparative Modes (LG, GV+V, T/I) do you think i'd get a question on the day where I could morph exactly what I had learnt to fit the question at hand? I'm fairly comfortable with LG, we started GV this week and it seems handy enough and T/I is just ridiculously easy!

Guys, do you think if I learned a Sample answer off really well for all of the Comparative Modes (LG, GV+V, T/I) do you think i'd get a question on the day where I could morph exactly what I had learnt to fit the question at hand? I'm fairly comfortable with LG, we started GV this week and it seems handy enough and T/I is just ridiculously easy!

Yes! The Comparative is one of the few aspects of Leaving Cert English that you can learn off, according to my English teacher anyway. Know key events and scenes of each text, answer question at the end of each paragraph, keep to one scene/event per paragraph and you're sorted imo!

Total fluke that Mock was! :confused:

Ahhhhhhhhhh.. I NEED this A2.. I have a funny feeling it mighn't happen! :( . Are ye guys learning essay plans or what for Paper II?
    I'm sure youll be fine :) My teacher is backing me for an A2/A1 and he doesnt make us learn things off, its a bad idea for English - know your stuff and do it on the day is the best way to do it. However, onto your next post:
    I didnt do LG but GV+V is so so so easy. I learned off one answer and it came up in my christmas test and mocks, and we did pretty good comparatives so that always helps but I got 64/70 and 65/70 respectively by studying the night before. Its by far the easiest part of the course and for the most marks thats excellent. I dunno, I'd avoid LG if I were you tbh - its so different to the other two and so wishywashy imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Single Text - A Doll's House
    One of the few schools not doing Hamlet as the single text. It's a short play so there's not much to it really. I'll be focusing on character studies, themes of power, lies and deception, role of men/women, significance of the title, cultural context, things like that.

Comparative - Hamlet, Inside I'm Dancing, How Many Miles to Bablyon
    We haven't done LG yet so I'm not sure about that but I'll definitely be learning Theme and GV&V. We do suffering as our theme so a lot of what I can say for that ties in with GV&V as well.

Poetry
    Here's where it gets risky :p So far we've done Plath, Larkin, Heaney, Kinsella and we're halfway through Kavanagh. I'm definitely studying Plath and Larkin, but I find it so hard to study the others because I haaaate them. :pac: I don't know if we'll be doing another poet after Kavanagh, so sadly I'm probably stuck with that lot. I doubt I'll leave any poets out but I'll probably study Plath and Larkin very well, Heaney and Kinsella reasonably well, and then just be able to answer on Kavanagh in case of an emergency. Not the best strategy, I know, but it's probably what it'll come to.

Won't be learning anything off because I feel it's a waste of time. As my English teacher always says, if you know your texts inside out, you can answer on anything they give you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Hamlet - Imagery
    Poetry- I have a horrible feeling Plath wont come up:(

haro124 wrote: »
    Hamlet - Imagery
    Same, apparently its gonna be 2010/Boland all over again :eek:

Or it could be like the 2011 Boland and be a ridiculously hard question that people scored really bad on!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Don't say that, If neither Heaney or Plath comes up I'm screwed..:eek:

Or it could be like the 2011 Boland and be a ridiculously hard question that people scored really bad on!
    Do you think it was that bad? My teacher went through it with us and it was the only time I've ever gotten 50/50 and he never gives that :pac: It's so handy, you can trawl through the poems and pick out all the images! But on the spot...that'd be hard yeah. Plaths poetry is so haunting though, youd be grand :P
    rkeano5 wrote: »
    Don't say that, If neither Heaney or Plath comes up I'm screwed..:eek:
    Learn Larkin too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

FinnD wrote: »
    When do they print the lc papers?

Middle of january, they're long done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Do you think it was that bad? My teacher went through it with us and it was the only time I've ever gotten 50/50 and he never gives that :pac: It's so handy, you can trawl through the poems and pick out all the images! But on the spot...that'd be hard yeah. Plaths poetry is so haunting though, youd be grand :P

Learn Larkin too!

We didn't do Larkin... and teaching myself would be far too much like hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Poetry:
    I'm hoping to have five/six poems done for the following poets
    Rich, Heaney, Plath, Larkin.. Might do Kavanagh but he's just frustratingly boring!

Comparative:
    Gonna do GvvP and Theme or Issue.. We haven't even done Lit.Gen in class but it doesn't look very appealing tbh :rolleyes:

Single Text-Hamlet:
    Haven't really studied Hamlet at all but got a good mark on this question in the Mocks. By the end of Easter I'm hoping to have these essays written up and to have at least half studied well:
    Theme of Deception
    Theme of Revenge
    Theme of Love
    The Characterisation of women in the play and their dramatic importance.
    The Importance of Soliloquys
    Character of Hamlet
    Character of Claudius
    Character of Horatio

Got the highest in the year in English in the mck so really pushing for the A1 in June :D

Poetry:
    I'm hoping to have five/six poems done for the following poets
    Rich, Heaney, Plath, Larkin.. Might do Kavanagh but he's just frustratingly boring!

Comparative:
    Gonna do GvvP and Theme or Issue.. We haven't even done Lit.Gen in class but it doesn't look very appealing tbh :rolleyes:

Single Text-Hamlet:
    Haven't really studied Hamlet at all but got a good mark on this question in the Mocks. By the end of Easter I'm hoping to have these essays written up and to have at least half studied well:
    Theme of Deception
    Theme of Revenge
    Theme of Love
    The Characterisation of women in the play and their dramatic importance.
    The Importance of Soliloquys
    Character of Hamlet
    Character of Claudius
    Character of Horatio

Got the highest in the year in English in the mck so really pushing for the A1 in June :D

Lucky you! Did you get an A1 in the mocks? Oh and what do you mean by "studying" those essays? Are you going to learn off the main points of each paragraph? I'm not sure if I should be learning essays off like everyone else :(

Would LOVE if Heaney came up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

hotfuzz2 wrote: »
    Lucky you! Did you get an A1 in the mocks? Oh and what do you mean by "studying" those essays? Are you going to learn off the main points of each paragraph? I'm not sure if I should be learning essays off like everyone else :(
    No, the English was marked ridiculously unfairly so I only ended up with 78%. Was really disappointed and the teacher offered to recorrect the paper because she said she reckoned from looking through it that it seemed to be A2 standard but I decided against it. The way I look at it the grade I got will give me the kick up the arse I need :pac: I think learning essays off is fairly counter-productive unless you're good at manipulating them because if you go into an exam and spew out a learned answer you might not be answering the question fully. I'm just gonna learn off the main points and structure of my essays and just know all the texts inside out! :D

No, the English was marked ridiculously unfairly so I only ended up with 78%. Was really disappointed and the teacher offered to recorrect the paper because she said she reckoned from looking through it that it seemed to be A2 standard but I decided against it. The way I look at it the grade I got will give me the kick up the arse I need :pac: I think learning essays off is fairly counter-productive unless you're good at manipulating them because if you go into an exam and spew out a learned answer you might not be answering the question fully. I'm just gonna learn off the main points and structure of my essays and just know all the texts inside out! :D

Yeah thats exactly what I'm going to do. Oh and btw my teacher done the exact opposite. She marked mine ridiculousy easy, she just put ticks everywhere with no comment so now I have no idea where I'm at :( and she gave me a much-undeserved A2, I should've gotten like a B3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Hamlet - Imagery
    Wouldnt you love the title to be ' A personal response to the poetry of Sylvia Plath '! I'm learning kinsella seeing that he hasnt come up in years :(

Wouldnt you love the title to be ' A personal response to the poetry of Sylvia Plath '! I'm learning kinsella seeing that he hasnt come up in years :(
    It will never be that again, and thank god! I hate those types of essays...theyre way too broad, I prefer to get one that makes me think and show that I know the poet, not a learned off thing that any old eejit could waffle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Hamlet
    - I'll try and go over all the past papers and write an essay on each.
    -I'll definitely learn all the solioquays

The Comparative

-How Many miles to Babylon , Dancing at Lughnasa , Inside I'm Dancing .
    -Theme or Issue and General Viewpoint and Vision. I don't like LG.
    -Learn off my notes.
    -Learn the different compare and contrast words.

Poetry
    -Eavan Boland (but she came up last year so not sure shes not on next years course though)
    -Adrienne Rich
    - Sylvia Plath
    -Seamus Heaney (doing him next)
    - Patrick Kavanagh(I need to look over his poems as the class had already finished him)
    -Maybe Philip Larkin too..

I'll just try an know the 4 poems with the poet and practise different questions.

I haven't sat the english paper mock as I'm repeating and I did ordinary last year . I've done fairly well in my essays quite high grades I just need to learn everything well now. I need a B1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Emm

Comparitive:

The Great Gatsby
    Dancing At Lughnasa
    Casablanca

GV&V and Theme/Issue (There kind of similar aren't they?)

Poetry:
    Larkin & Kavanagh (Done reasonably well)
    Heaney & Kinsella (Working on these as my main 2)
    Plath (Haven't done any work on her yet)

4 Poems for each should be enough? maybe 5 or 6 on some of them

Hamlet

Really need help here we haven't done anything but read the play tbh

Character Of Hamlet and the Role of Women maybe?

Got 78 in the mock but I have no real indication of where I am at as I never get any feedback off the teacher

Advertisement