Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL Paper II 2012- What will you be learning?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acorn1702

I actually enjoy hamlet.. If you get involved with the play and start to study the characters in detail it actually becomes easy to transfer the information for broader questions.. even somewhat enjoyable! I don't have much done for the comparative unfortunately.. As for poets I will be doing Plath and Larkin in detail and maybe Heaney and Kinsella to a lesser extent.

BTW In Mock I got 78 in paper 1 and 40 in paper two... says it all really :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

I know 5 poets, just general introduction and theme answers
    1. larkin
    2. heaney
    3. plath
    4. frost
    5. kinsella

I know all three comparative modes, Keynotes is a Godsend for this section

Hamlet is a slight issue at the moment.
    I've covered
    1. Polonius
    2. Soliliquys
    3. Women
    4. Deception
    5. Hamlet's character

I think it's safe to ignore a Claudius question this year, it's hard to see what else I'd need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Anyone doing Laertes for Hamlet? I've suddenly become very paranoid that they might ask some Hamlet/Laertes/revenge question, no idea why...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Reprazent

Hamlet
    Deception - Appearance/Reality
    Role of Women
    Hamlet character question
    Revenge
    Fillial Duty
    I have a heap of notes, I like Hamlet and I find it easy.
    Comparative
    Casablanca, Wurthering Heights, Oedipus
    Literary Genre - just overall points, not hard to structure an answer for this on the day
    Gen Vision + Viewpoint - Same as my Lit Genre, I find comparative to be the easiest part of the course

Poetry
    Plath - Everything there is
    Heaney - Everything there is
    Frost - I'll skim over him the night before for safety, wont put a lot of effort in him
    Boland - Such a handy poet, Ill revise her enough to answer any question
    Kavanagh - Everything there is also.

I'm quids in on Plath, Heaney and Kavanagh!

Paper 1
    I read the sunday times every weekend and listen to This American Life every night while I go to bed. I would like to think my language standard is improving but I'm still consistantly getting B's and more so C's in class. Only got a C3 in mocks it was very disappointing.

Hoping for a B at least in the real thing but I'm not to positive about it. Got 310 overall in mocks :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Namlub wrote: »
    Anyone doing Laertes for Hamlet? I've suddenly become very paranoid that they might ask some Hamlet/Laertes/revenge question, no idea why...
    My Revenge (Theme answer) discusses and contrasts Hamlet, Laertes and Fortinbras as characters and avengers in the play, i'd say I could morph it if it came up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Any tips with how to learn off Hamlet quotes? an the soliloquies? we don't need to know the whole soliloquy just the important parts right? I haven't seen the play or watched the movie. I have the movie on dvd but always find it boring.

I was thinking of either rewriting them out a few times on a page and learning the others with my notes. I currently don't know any of the quotes as I only picked up Hamlet last year I did fine in the essay but I had the quotes in front of me.

How many essays a week is everyone doing to practice Hamlet or the comparative or the poetry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Any tips with how to learn off Hamlet quotes? an the soliloquies? we don't need to know the whole soliloquy just the important parts right? I haven't seen the play or watched the movie. I have the movie on dvd but always find it boring.

I was thinking of either rewriting them out a few times on a page and learning the others with my notes. I currently don't know any of the quotes as I only picked up Hamlet last year I did fine in the essay but I had the quotes in front of me.

How many essays a week is everyone doing to practice Hamlet or the comparative or the poetry?
    If I get a Comparative Essay for the weekend I only usually do that. If I get any other essay, be it Paper I, Hamlet, Poetry I usually do 2 essays!

My Teacher's a bit of a joke though, 3 of us gave her a General Vision essay on Monday (the other 17 people were too lazy too even attempt it). I was hoping to get it back before the Holidays so I could revise over my mistakes etc. I said it to her today had she got them corrected yet? 'I'm far too busy these, days I haven't even looked at the beauties' was her reply! Thanks for that! :P

If I get a Comparative Essay for the weekend I only usually do that. If I get any other essay, be it Paper I, Hamlet, Poetry I usually do 2 essays!

My Teacher's a bit of a joke though, 3 of us gave her a General Vision essay on Monday (the other 17 people were too lazy too even attempt it). I was hoping to get it back before the Holidays so I could revise over my mistakes etc. I said it to her today had she got them corrected yet? 'I'm far too busy these, days I haven't even looked at the beauties' was her reply! Thanks for that! :P

That reminds me of my geography teacher I handed him a copy of work 2 weeks ago to correct hes still not given it to me back...

Oh my teacher usually just gives us 1/2 essays as we complete each poet , comparative , Hamlet etc. Then thats all she gives us. She usually gives us a week or sometimes a few days. Most of the time I'm one of the only few people who hand work up even though I sometimes go over the deadline she sets I always hand work up. The comparative essay takes me too long to write the 70 marks question. My teacher isn't focusing on paper 1 until we come back. I probably need to try and learn Patrick Kavanagh as I wasn't in the class when she did those poems.

Haha maybe she'll give it to you by Friday. What essays are you going to do over Easter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Hamlet
    Role of women
    Hamlet
    Hamlet's relationship with Claudius
    Hamlet's relationship with Gertrude
    Hamlet's relationship with Ophelia
    Deception
    Revenge
    Love
    Polonius/Ophelia/Laertes

Comparative
    Emma, The Great Gatsby, How Many Miles To Babylon

Poetry
    Heaney, Kinsella, Plath, Rich, Larkin.

I'm going to learn Plath and Larkin REALLY well (despite my two favourite poems by each of them not being on the course), Heaney fairly well, and be able to answer on Rich and Kinsella just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

RIP Adrienne Rich !:( I don't no if theyre able to change papers this late but if they are very high chance she'll come up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Did she just die today? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Namlub wrote: »
    Did she just die today? :eek:
    Yep :( and in no way am I trying to be disrespectful to her! She was a great poet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Just wondering, how do you guys study for English? I write essays but I feel its really timeconsuming :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Just wondering, what type of questions are ye studying by a Hamlet character question? Like his change, is he a noble hero, but what else?

Oh and is everyone using key notes? I really hope not but from what I've heard half the country use it! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Just wondering, how do you guys study for English? I write essays but I feel its really timeconsuming :S

Yeah I'm the same but its got to be done innit.

Well, for poetry I just learn off an essay on poetic techniques and/or the main theme and that's it. For comparitive I learnt off an essay on V&V and just fit it in :). For hamlet I (admittedly copied PictureFrame's idea) write out essay plans.

God that probably didn't help much but dinner's ready so I had to write quick. :pac:

Wesc. wrote: »
    Just wondering, what type of questions are ye studying by a Hamlet character question? Like his change, is he a noble hero, but what else?

Oh and is everyone using key notes? I really hope not but from what I've heard half the country use it! :eek:

I haven't got key notes was going to get it but they didn't have the version I wanted when I went to look they just had Macbeth. I just use the notes my teacher gave me and other sample essays that I have and try and use certain points.
    I must be one of the few that hasn't got key notes.

Does anyone else use Poetry Notes? I find this book to be really helpful when writing answers. I use it a long with my poetry book.

Advertisement