Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Human Body Exhibition

Options
  • 25-03-2012 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Heading to Dub this Friday for a bit of retail therapy with the other half...

Because he isnt that keen on shopping, Im after booking into a hotel for the night and getting tickets for the exhibition for Saturday as a surprise for him, its something hes really into...

Just curious if anyone has been and did you enjoy it???

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Hey OP, I went a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic. It is not for you if you are squeamish, and can smell a little bit "meaty" at times, but it is very interesting, and honestly I would go again.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Anyone know how similar this is to the one that was on a few years ago? Really enjoyed that one but wouldn't be bothered if its much the same

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Ok, that meaty mell has put me off a bit haha...

Will defnitely go anyway... Tickets are ordered now and he would come to a Westlife with me:D so i think il cope for a few hours!!

Cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

I went a couple of weeks back! It is interesting if you are into that sort of thing so i loved it but the person with me wasn't pushed on it and found it all a bit boring. No meaty smell at all that i got, everything is so preserved that it almost feels like the bodies aren't real at all! I did enjoy it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

Anyone know how similar this is to the one that was on a few years ago? Really enjoyed that one but wouldn't be bothered if its much the same

The bodies are in different postures this time and that's about all the differences!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You'll only be in there for a half hour I reckon, you'd do well to spin an hour out if it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Is this better/worse than The Bodies Exhibion in Dublin a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Is this better/worse than The Bodies Exhibion in Dublin a few years back?

I was at this and I was about as underwhelmed as a person could be when in a room of dead bodies! Some interesting facts and views. But very quick to get through. Dare I say, we need more dead bodies?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Did this a couple of weeks ago, you should have it done in around 30-40 mins.

Was interesting in parts but NOT worth €20 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 newtodub

Agree with some of the other comments,

Was interesting, but wouldn't go again, not for €20 I was there for maybe 30 minutes, maybe a little longer just felt it was a fair bit pricey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I've been looking online for a closing date, and can't find one definitive one...

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They'll probably run it until the attendances drop below a certain level. Think thats how the ambassador works

Bambi wrote: »
    They'll probably run it until the attendances drop below a certain level. Think thats how the ambassador works

well... im planning ahead as far as mid may :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi guys,

Heading to Dub this Friday for a bit of retail therapy with the other half...

Because he isnt that keen on shopping, Im after booking into a hotel for the night and getting tickets for the exhibition for Saturday as a surprise for him, its something hes really into...

Just curious if anyone has been and did you enjoy it???

Thanks ;)

I believe the bodies are all Chinnese, more than likely executed crimminals like those looking for civil rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

eldwaro wrote: »
    I've been looking online for a closing date, and can't find one definitive one...

any ideas?

They just extended it to the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Can you buy tickets at the door or do you have to buy them from Ticketmaster online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

CWF wrote: »
    Can you buy tickets at the door or do you have to buy them from Ticketmaster online?

Buy at the door.

I found it interesting but regret going into the fetus corner because if I ever have a miscarriage all I'm going to envision is those instead of the friendly little hand drawn diagrams in pamphlets :/ I'm not over sensitive and I am pro choice but it was not educational at that point for me i found it hard not be be disturbed by that but a person sliced no bother, strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I believe the bodies are all Chinnese, more than likely executed crimminals like those looking for civil rights?

Yeah, I was really interested in going until I read about this. The whole thing leaves a very bad taste in my mouth :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Yeah, I was really interested in going until I read about this. The whole thing leaves a very bad taste in my mouth :(

1. France:
    http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=12597
    "Encore Productions, the local French organiser of the exhibition, was unable to prove – on grounds of medical confidentiality - that the Chinese group that provided the bodies had not procured them from prisons."

2. Ireland:
    [url] http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0130/breaking50.html [/url]
    The Irish Curator says that "all bodies were provided to the Hoffen biotechnique laboratory at the Medical University of Dalian in north-east China by the city morgue."

Apparently medical confidentiality is a flexible concept :rolleyes:. The whole thing stinks if you ask me.

The exposition is deadly though. Went there on a date :D.
    (If went well, since you're askin')

Sinfonia wrote: »
    They just extended it to the end of July.

excellent news!

hopefully they do a student rate...€40 for two tickets for about 40mins of exhibit time isnt great value!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Its a really bad rip off of Gunther Von Hagens "Bodyworks". I seen it in Frankfurt and the one in the Ambassador even copied the poses of the bodies.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Its a really bad rip off of Gunther Von Hagens "Bodyworks". I seen it in Frankfurt and the one in the Ambassador even copied the poses of the bodies.

ah yeah but i havent seen that!

so if i forget your comment..its all good :P

but on a serious note...people are saying this is a rip off price wise and that.

i think students can get in for €16....is that decent value?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Does anyone know, if the exhibition in wheelchair accessible? If yes, how much would you pay? (Wheelchair user, plus PA)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Does anyone know, if the exhibition in wheelchair accessible? If yes, how much would you pay? (Wheelchair user, plus PA)

It is, yeah; Not sure if there's a concession for the wheelchair user or not, but the attendant would go free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sinfonia wrote: »
    It is, yeah; Not sure if there's a concession for the wheelchair user or not, but the attendant would go free.

Cool, thanks. I might give it ago again, I went there decades ago in Germany, it's worth a look, but the guy, I'm looking after, never went before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I was thinking of going next weekend but I didn't realise it was €20. A few people I work with went and enjoyed it but a few mentioned they saw the whole exhibit in a half an hour. The linked articles about the bodies have totally turned me off it now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

Have always been interested in heading to one of these exhibitions. Is it worth it from an educational perspective?? I love anatomy but to be honest I don't think I could go to it alone and can't see many volunteers offering :D

After reading those links, Cringe :eek: Don't think my dinner would go down too well too soon afterwards
    KTRIC wrote: »

The same guy that was involved in the Channel 4 documentary, right??

Advertisement