Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Household Charge on a rented property - tax deductible?

Options
  • 25-03-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭

I think I can guess the answer to this question:rolleyes:

Can landlords use the household charge as an expense? I know the NPPR charge can't be used.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

NIMAN wrote: »

Can landlords use the household charge as an expense? I know the NPPR charge can't be used.

Interesting point. I would have thought both these charges / expenses could be written off as an expense before tax as they are "expenses wholly and necessarily incurred in the pursuit of the business"? Anyone know for certain.....are you sure the NPPR charge is not tax deductible? Thats like double taxation so, as in order to pay the government the €200 NPPR charge (tax), landlords would have to pay it out of after tax income. Seems a bit unfair. You could well be right though, I do not know. Interesting point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I read many forums discussions that were unsure about the NPPR and whether it qualified.

Eventually it seemed to be accepted that it wasn't, so would imagine that HC will be the same. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bobbyg

NIMAN wrote: »

Not deductible from the looks of things.

Household charge
    Revenue confirmed that the €100 charge will apply to both owner occupier and investment properties (residential). In addition, the charge will not be an allowable deduction for Case V purposes. This follows similar treatment for the NPPR charge.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitione...tes-091211.pdf

Advertisement