Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

training cat to use the toilet

• 25-03-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

sorry if this has been posted...had a search but couldnt find anything

anyway this video shows you how to teach your cat to use the toilet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p943wK0tSWQ

anyone tried this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Ya, trained my male cat to use toilet using the litter kwitter kit. You will find it on zooplus. It's basically a cat litter tray you place on toilet and remove inner ring type trays week by week until they are using normal toilet seat.

It's quite easy once they manage to get balance but don't move through the stages too quickly as it can set them back if they slip.

Unfortunately, my fella stopped using it as often when he got siblings, he mostly goes outdoors. However, every so often I'll be in bed at night and I hear him come in and use the ensuite toilet. I think he feels he's too special to use the main bathroom. Just a pity he can't flush it afterwards :-)))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

My cat uses the toilet, I never trained her to do it, think she picked it up from years of watching us use it. I couldn't believe the first time I saw her do it. She has always been super clever though before she started using the toilet, if she was caught short she would go in the bath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

thanks guys!

ill give it a go so...

did you completely get rid of the litter once the cat was using the toilet or keep one around to be safe?

i found a cornetto shaped poo in the plug hole of the bath once as they were locked out of the litter by accident and was pretty impressed at the consideration that went into that :P

i never cease to be amazed by feline intelligence!

No need for litter once they realise the water in the loo covers the smell the same way as the litter does. Keep the litter in the removable trays til they have all the steps complete and then keep reducing it gradually in the last tray til its gone. They still feel the need to scratch something though but seem happy enough to just go through the motion (no pun intended) like my cat actually paws the toilet seat like as if he is covering, just habit I guess.

With that litter kwitter set there is a good video with the inventors own cat doing little demos. Funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

I wish I could get my little dog to do this! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I tried with the Litter Kwitter, he hated it, he's a very finicky cat and I think it messed up his routine too much. Might try with the kitten and see if that makes a difference to the older guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Yo, I've just started training my cat with the 'citikitty' it's going okay so far, but I'm afraid the litter than escapes from the tray seat thing is going to get backed up in the toilet. The site recommends that I use 'flushable' cat litter. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yo, I've just started training my cat with the 'citikitty' it's going okay so far, but I'm afraid the litter than escapes from the tray seat thing is going to get backed up in the toilet. The site recommends that I use 'flushable' cat litter. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Plenty of reasons not to go down that route (relating to marking, cat health etc.) but if you're mind is set on it this one is flushable.

Worlds best cat litter is one of the better ones but any of them wooden pellet types in pet shops are biodegradable as long as you are not flushing a pile at a time.

Marking and cat health? If you mean spraying, he's neutered some doesn't do that, and I can't see any adverse health reasons really...but am open to hearing about potentials as his welfare is my number one priority here, it'd just be nice to have a less smelly apartment.

Thanks for the tips guys, he's used it a few times today, the last time was unprompted and after he had finished he covered it with litter, hopped down off the toilet and diligently closed the lid. It was bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Thanks for the tips guys, he's used it a few times today, the last time was unprompted and after he had finished he covered it with litter, hopped down off the toilet and diligently closed the lid. It was bizarre.
    Sounds like he has better manners than most humans :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Marking and cat health? If you mean spraying, he's neutered some doesn't do that, and I can't see any adverse health reasons really...but am open to hearing about potentials as his welfare is my number one priority here, it'd just be nice to have a less smelly apartment.
    To be able to see how much/consistency (i.e. firm to runny)/color/blood etc. which all help to indicate if your cat has health issues.

If you got problem with smell I'd recommend to switch to closed toilet with wooden pellets and cleaned twice a day (either flush it or use a closed system such as litter champ or others) combined with toilet deoderants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm half tempted to try training Toby to use the loo. He has an obsession with the toilet for some reason. We leave the toilet lid closed in case he tries to drink from the loo, but he's started coming to the bathroom with me every time and climbs in the sink for a drink of water, he happily settles down on the rug for a nap then:D

Nody wrote: »
    To be able to see how much/consistency (i.e. firm to runny)/color/blood etc. which all help to indicate if your cat has health issues.

If you got problem with smell I'd recommend to switch to closed toilet with wooden pellets and cleaned twice a day (either flush it or use a closed system such as litter champ or others) combined with toilet deoderants.

As the cat can't flush the loo I'll still be able to see if there is blood present or the stool is pale or runny. As a nurse I know my sh*t quite literally, and don't see this as a reason not to toilet train him. Also, when I clean his litter tray I just dump the whole thing out...I don't inspect it.

So far so good but we're only two days in, will let you guys know how it's going if anyone's interested in doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Advertisement