Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple TV

• 25-03-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Any experts out there that have an apple tv I would appreciate if you could let me know how I can get the most out of it (feel free to private message if discussion on some aspects is not allowed). At the moment all I fing it useful for - if even - is watching Netflix (European version which isn't great) and renting the odd movie from iTunes so reallyI don't think a whole lot about it and a bit of a waste of 120 euro. Any tips much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

hi, i would be wondering the exact same... i barely use mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

[snip]

you can also jailbreak it (as long as your software version is not 5.0) and install xbmc which can playback almost any file format streamed to it. you can also do other things with xbmc which cant be discussed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

you can also jailbreak it (as long as your software version is not 5.0) and install xbmc which can playback almost any file format streamed to it. you can also do other things with xbmc which cant be discussed here.

What he said...:D...make sure its not 5.0 for JB

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

There's more, if have an iOS device you can control the ATV via the remote app, you can also AirPlay videos and music to it, and mirror your iPhone 4s or iPad 2 or higher's display to your tv (tv FaceTime calls anyone?) or stream any iTunes compatible media from your computer to your ATV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

indeed
    the airplay function from the ipad is useful even without mirroring which for me isnt a runner with an ipad1.

you can beam any video (pretty much) from the ipad/ iphone/ ipod touch onto the tv at pretty decent quality.

the media playing capabilites are also possibly useful as you can play your tunes from the comfort of your couch without needing to plug the computer into anything (hifi or tv)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Ur[s]uS

There's more, if have an iOS device you can control the ATV via the remote app, you can also AirPlay videos and music to it, and mirror your iPhone 4s or iPad 2 or higher's display to your tv (tv FaceTime calls anyone?) or stream any iTunes compatible media from your computer to your ATV.

Playback with mirroring has been frustrating for me; with dropped frames every 30 seconds (or more). I have this problem with BBC iPlayer (Global) and Blinkbox (cannot find Danish version of The Killing TV series anywhere else!).

These are pumping mere standard definition video over wifi-n, to ATV3. Same problem whether ATV3 is wired or wireless. I just use HDMI adapter instead.

For me, it's all about waiting for seas0npass or similar to let me get XBMC on the hockey puck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Folks, I'm going to remind you again that we no longer allow discussion on how to circumvent geo-blocking. Thank Sean Sherlock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

i dont see the point in having apple tv and not hacking it for xbmc .i use mine every day and love it best money i ever spent tbh:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mattek

There's also one more way of extending capabilities of ATV. Get an iTunes gift card for US version of the store (on ebay for example) and create an account there to claim it. The selection of shows and movies is much better. The only thing to be careful about is not to fall for "incredible offers" on ebay such as a $50 gift card sold half price. These are usually obtained using stolen credit cards. There are plenty of legit sellers though, just look at the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

can it handle 720p mkv (stored on a network) streamed to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Since a jailbreak for the ATV3 hasn't been found yet, the answer would be no.

However, I had no problems streaming 720p mkv files to my old ATV2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've an ATV2. I got it as a present so it didn't cost me the €119.

I find it great. I can rent a movie when I feel like it at any time. No going to the video library and no need to return it (or rewind the tape :D).

Yes, I could probably do more with it but I don't feel the need. I rent about 2 or 3 HD movies per month so it doesn't burst my Eircom download limit. Picture and sound quality is quite good.

I find AirPlay quite good especially as I use my iPhone as a remote to my iTunes library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

To get the most you need to geo unlock it.

Due to that rat Minister Sherlock we can't tell you how on here.

A quick google search should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

bigpoppa wrote: »
    can it handle 720p mkv (stored on a network) streamed to it?

If you install Firecores aTv flash on it and the file is not too large then yes you can. Firecore is a one off payment (€30 i thimk) but it is well worth it for the media player alone. Im streaming mkv from a NAS. Large files it cant handle but im hoping that when (if) ATV3 is jailbroken the better processor and extra ram will make this possible.

Played around with the eden version of XBMC last night and it is very stable and excellent. This also does it and is off course free

Advertisement