Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which course should I choose? D:

• 25-03-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

I'm going to university (hopefully!) in Trinity next year. Unfortunately I'm a bit confused on what to do.
    I've decided on the college that I want to go to, and also the two courses that I would consider doing; but alas I can only choose one of them.
    I'm considering one of the following; Civil Engineering; Computer Science, Linguistics and Irish Gaelic; or Computer Science, Linguistics and German.

Firstly with engineering; I model structures for games in my free time, such as SimCity 4 and etc. I love geometry and always get between 90% and 100% in my classes in school for graphics. I also love transportation and efficiency.
    Secondly computer science, linguistics and Irish; I also mod games often. I can write C++ programmes that I self taught myself. I study linguistics from the internet as a hobby, and I am a polyglot [I speak multiple languages fluently and can learn languages very easily]. I translate games into the Irish language too. The course consists of learning Scot Gaelic as well as Irish.
    Finally with computer science, linguistics and German; I love the German language and am fluent. I have been to Germany many times, and have a neutral accent when speaking German. The course consists of as previously mentioned otherwise, except for the fact that German is the language that is learned.

I love all three, but I'm not too sure about job possibilities. Irish is a beautiful language, as is German too, but Irish is absolutely useless with regard to jobs. I don't want to be a teacher, and don't want to spend my life translating documents into Irish for the government. German has more opportunities.
    But in total, what could I get out of computer science with linguistics? Engineering would allow me to earn more, and I could just live in Germany. I'm so confused what to do, I want to do all three! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

What about electronic and computer engineering? Might be a way of combining both interests. Actually as far as I know the first year of engineering in Trinity is common, so you can switch to a different type of engineering after first year if you want. That could be a way of keeping options open.

Regarding the computer science with linguistics courses, I would definitely choose German over Irish, it would hugely improve your job prospects.

It's very difficult to advise you on which to do actually, you seem equally interested in both. Have you asked yourself which course you'd actually enjoy more? I think that's what it's going to have to come down to for me.

Advertisement