Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish oral!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

ah feck it sure lads go in try fit as much of your pre learned stuff in as you can which is my plan because if she asks me stuff I don't know or can't understand i'm just going to say that's not a very good question why don't I tell you about my hobbies ;) I know they'll rephrase it if you ask them to but i'm betting I still won't have a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

What difficult topics are people learning for the oral?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Josh93

Wesc. wrote: »
    One other thing, did anyone here have a really abstract conversation? Ours was extremely basic with all the simple questions and I'm a bit puzzled in that will the actual thing be like this?:confused:

There will almost certainly be 1 or 2 questions that haven't been prepared, so we've been told, particularly if you're doing higher level. Like for my mock oral I was just talking about school and then I was asked do I think if girls perform better than boys in state examinations! I'm not saying it'll be that extreme, but just be aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Does anyone wanna post a list of what theyre learning? I just sort of rely on my vocab and it works fine...but i'd feel more comfortable with a list :P

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Does anyone wanna post a list of what theyre learning? I just sort of rely on my vocab and it works fine...but i'd feel more comfortable with a list :P

A list off hand would be:
    Me Fein, Mo Chlann, Mo Chaitheamh Aimsire
    Mo Scoil (3 A's - Atmaisfear, na hAbhair, Aiseanna), Mo Cheantar
    Telifis, Idirlion, Scannan, Leabhar
    Sport, Ceol
    Post Partaimseartha, An Bhliain seo chugainn
    Coras Oideachais, Coras Slainte, Fadhbanna Soisialta
    Laethanta Saoire thar lear, Idirbhliain

That's just what I can remember really but if you need more just message me :)

• Advertisement

Nah thats fine! Thank you! :)

With the picture sequences do they pick one out you go through each picture and then ask you qs about each one or just three questions in general about it? and what sort of qs do you ask them? am very confused wish i'd never signed up to do this feckin oral :(

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Do we pick the tense when we start talking? I'm doing ordinary, and realised I got 20 of these to learn by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bettyboop1

hey all, just a quick question for some of you regarding the picture sequences for honours irish.
    did anybody hear that pictures 1-10 are for pass and 11-20 for honours? i am doing irish again as a mature student and thats what has been suggested by other students, but i dont think theres any evidence to suggest this apart from the fact the latter seem a bit more complicated? has anyone else heard this from reliable sources eg teachers etc?
    also have you been recommended to do pictures in aimsir caite or aimsir laithreach?im planning on doing past tense, purely because i find it easier.

and final question are ye making the stories about yourselves or about random people? thanks for all your help and good luck to all of ye

i just posted the same question! would like to know the answer to this also, i think we can pick our tense, but would like to know the general consensus!!20 pictures is ridiculous, even ten would be difficult to remember!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Is féidir leat cloí leis an aimsir chaite nó an aimsir láithreach. Tá sé do rogha féin. Is fearr liomsa úsáid a bhaint as an aimsir láithreach. Ní mór duit cloí leis an aimsir ina thosaíonn tusa.

you can use either the present or the past but you must not switch tenses adhere to the tense you begin with . good luck :)

Definitely not true. The examiner wont know your level and you have to pick it at random from envelopes.

I do mine about random people in the present tense but what you're doing is fine too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

frulewis wrote: »
    With the picture sequences do they pick one out you go through each picture and then ask you qs about each one or just three questions in general about it? and what sort of qs do you ask them? am very confused wish i'd never signed up to do this feckin oral :(

You dont "sign up" to do the oral - you just have to do it.
    As far as I remember you ask them a few questions and then they ask you. It can be really random stuff like what is on the poster on the wall, or how old do you think someone was. It doesnt matter what you ask, they are just testing your ability to ask stuff.

no i'm a mature student I didn't actually have to do the Irish at all I thought it would be fun to learn it again sorry didn't make myself clear there, ah don't mind me am only stressing out!

thanks for your help.and finally does anyone have 3 good generic questions you are planning to use for all pictures? like "do you like this story", "what is happening in this picture" etc....like them only worded better!! thanks

bettyboop1 wrote: »
    and finally does anyone have 3 good generic questions you are planning to use for all pictures? like "do you like this story", "what is happening in this picture" etc....like them only worded better!!

The "cad a tharla sa phictuir seo" type of questions are pass standard apparently. Good generic questions for honours would be stuff like "conas a bhraith siad" (how did they feel) or "meas tu, ar bhain siad taitneamh as" (do you think they enjoyed it)

Defo go with An dóigh leatsa go bhfuil ano cheacht le foghlaim as an sraith seo ?

Another handy mayb overused ha is cén cuma atá ar aghaidh an fhir/na mná/an bhuachalla/an chailín

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

The thing that annoys me about the sraith is that, even though you pick them at random, there's a massive gap in standard between them. Seriously, compare something like An Cluiche Riomhaire to Tuairimi Eagsula Faoi Dheagoiri...

Namlub wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me about the sraith is that, even though you pick them at random, there's a massive gap in standard between them. Seriously, compare something like An Cluiche Riomhaire to Tuairimi Eagsula Faoi Dheagoiri...

I def agree.... heres hoping i get 1st sraith, Tá sé in am tosú ag obair :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

So... In Honours...basically I haven't touched the Sraith Pictúirí and there's 20!! Don't want to learn 20 SP's, So any tips on how to cover them quickly? Just vocab and facial expressions? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

I just realised that ive got no notes on "An Spailpin Fanach" (Spelling?) :eek:
    Is their any notes online at all because I cant seem to find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

I was just wondering about the pictures in the oral. Basically, I've heard two stories; one is that we are given a choice of eight by the examiner and we pick one of those, and the other is that all of them are upside down on a table and we select one at random, without knowing what it is.

I was hoping someone could tell me what is the procedure for the pictures. Do we get some bit of choice or are we to choose completely at random, without any idea of what we might pick? Thanks in advance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

I was just wondering about the pictures in the oral. Basically, I've heard two stories; one is that we are given a choice of eight by the examiner and we pick one of those, and the other is that all of them are upside down on a table and we select one at random, without knowing what it is.

I was hoping someone could tell me what is the procedure for the pictures. Do we get some bit of choice or are we to choose completely at random, without any idea of what we might pick? Thanks in advance. :)

As far as I know it is completely random :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

As far as I know it is completely random :)

:eek: Nooooo that's not good. :'( Oh, well! Hopefully I'll get lucky and pick an easy one. Thanks for the prompt response. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

Hi All, north side Dublin start this week and south side are next week, im the 25th so hoping I have enough time to get the cupla focal up.
    Im an external candidate.

Had an oral day last Thursday and the teacher explained
    you have 2 mins for pictures. If you go over 2 mins
    for description = no questions and you lose those 10 marks.

lines per picture 5=A, 4=B, 3=C and 2=D

you are NOT allowed to ask open questions, they are being extremely strict on the examiners for the 15 minutes.

They don't care what you say as long as it is fast and has the story for the pics ;)

I am stressing and trying to learn but sure its tough, all you can do is your best. No one can expect more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

5 lines per picture? Fuuuuuck sake

Namlub wrote: »
    5 lines per picture? Fuuuuuck sake

That would be for an A, people from the gaeltacht in their mother tongue would be able, that is our competition! sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Three questions. Do we talk all the way through the whole six pictures without the examiner saying anything or does the examiner ask questions? Do we just keep moving on to the next picture or are we told to? Do we ask the examiner questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

GarIT wrote: »
    Three questions. Do we talk all the way through the whole six pictures without the examiner saying anything or does the examiner ask questions? Do we just keep moving on to the next picture or are we told to? Do we ask the examiner questions?

Keep talking until you have explained what is happening in the entire sequence. If the examiner has to say anything it means that you have stopped talking and they are trying to move you on. The questions are at the end of the sequence: You ask 3 and you answer 3.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »

They say here's a pic, look at it for 30 seconds. Then they say ok you can start.

Go through each pic and say what you see and use 1 tense, whichever you want unless you say "she said to him come home now" thats ok

You have 2 mins for pictures. If you go over 2 mins for description = no questions and you lose those 10 marks.

lines per picture 5=A, 4=B, 3=C and 2=D

you are NOT allowed to ask open questions, they are being extremely strict on the examiners for the 15 minutes.

my mock, you ask 3 questions then they ask you 3 questions, they will tell you what way though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement