Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor not as advertised

Options
  • 25-03-2012 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I purchased a pc monitor that I'm not happy with. On the box and on the manufactures website it says it supports 1080p.
    The aspect ratio is 16:10 and the native resolution is 1900x1200
    I figured it should show a 1080p resolution(1900x1080) with black borders top and bottom. There is even an option for this in the setup menu.
    However no matter what I select it will stretch a 1080p image out to 1900x1600.
    Which means games on my xbox and movies on my blu ray player look distorted.
    Picture displayed from my pc is perfect as my graphics card supports 1900x1200.

After searching online I found out this is the way the monitor is and not just a fault with mine.

I got the monitor from a local shop.
    Does it sound like I would be entitled for a full refund? I checked and they have no other monitors I'm interested in.

I will ring them soon but would like to have some idea of what my entitlements are beforehand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Are u using a hdmi cable and can the cable support 1080p. Seeing alot of people with the issue on boards and its down to the hdmi cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

spookwoman wrote: »
    Are u using a hdmi cable and can the cable support 1080p. Seeing alot of people with the issue on boards and its down to the hdmi cable

Yes to both questions. I have tried a standard 1080p hdmi cable and the hdmi to dvi cable that was supplied with the monitor. My xbox detects 1080p and that's what I have selected. Even if the output was 720 it should not stretch the image like it does as I have selected for it not to do this in the monitors setuo menu.
    I have searched for as much info as I can on the net and many people have the same problem and have been unable to find a fix.
    The monitor advertises 1080p but does not fully support it.

The shop actually has a website too and advertises the monitor as 1080p video format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes to both questions. I have tried a standard 1080p hdmi cable and the hdmi to dvi cable that was supplied with the monitor. My xbox detects 1080p and that's what I have selected. Even if the output was 720 it should not stretch the image like it does as I have selected for it not to do this in the monitors setuo menu.
    I have searched for as much info as I can on the net and many people have the same problem and have been unable to find a fix.
    The monitor advertises 1080p but does not fully support it.

The shop actually has a website too and advertises the monitor as 1080p video format.

get them to show it you working as you need, if they cant you may have a case for recourse, however if they have one that does fit your need you may have to take it as they can offer a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If it was missold then you don't need to take a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

cookie1977 wrote: »
    If it was missold then you don't need to take a replacement.

doesn't appear as if the OP asked for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I'm not sure you have a case for return - if it says it supports 1080p, that doesn't mean it is 1080p native resolution.

Worth a try returning it anyway but if the product didn't explictly state 1920x1080 then you won't legally be entitled to return it on the grounds of it not being 1920x1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

what monitor is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

get them to show it you working as you need, if they cant you may have a case for recourse, however if they have one that does fit your need you may have to take it as they can offer a replacement.

Not if the OP never informed the retailer of his requirement that the monitor must work with his X-box and in full HD. It doesn't matter what the OP needed it for if he didn't relay that need to the retailer before purchase, in which case he has no recourse other than the good will of the retailer (assuming there's nothing wrong with the monitor).

Advertisement