Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left Uni At End Of 2nd Year - How To Return?

Options
  • 25-03-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation here. I studied a Level 8 Degree course in Law + Accounting at UL for two years - dropped out just before 2nd year exams in May 2010 due to family issues.

I was hoping to pursue another Level 8 degree last year but was informed by the local city council that as I used up two years of my grants, I was liable for fees for 1st + 2nd year, and from then on I was covered. Does anybody know how the process of readmission works? - I passed all my exams up until the 2nd year summer exams, which were not attempted due to dropping out.

I am currently about to finish a Level 5 Fetac course in Business (I've been told that I'm looking at mainly distinctions across the board), and am wondering are there any ways to reenter uni without having to pay basically 12,000 euro in fees? I've heard that if I wait 3 more years, I can reapply as a mature student, and avoid fees.

However, I did further research and found that students who do not qualify for free fees will have the course fees waived if they are progressing from a Level 6 certificate course - as in I could do a Level 6 course in September 2012, and then go straight from level 6-level 8 in September 2013.

Does anybody have any help regarding my situation? I know it's actually really complicated. I actually did a great LC and have the necessary points for most courses, however, unfortunately I just don't have the money for fees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

I've never heard of anyone who can go from a level 6 to a level 8 after doing 2 years previously at level 8. You are looking at paying fees for the first two years of your level 8 course.
    In order to get funding again, you would need to be a second chance student and that means you need to be out of education for 5 years NOT 3 years.
    The fact that you have gone back to education to do a PLC course means that you have to start counting the years after the end of your PLC course. A loan seems to be your only way out I'm afraid. The colleges have a student fund but it would be pittance.

Advertisement