Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle after coming off the pill

• 25-03-2012 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey any advice welcome.

I have come off the pill this month for the first time in 8 years. I was told that it can take 6months for my cycle to get back to 'normal'. I have no idea what normal for me is though!! I am on day 18 and I have a discomfort in my right side since day 13. I also feel nauseous and wrecked. When I was on the pill I never felt sick or had any pains, I was very lucky with pms etc. Now that I am ttc I am super aware and paranoid. Anyone else have pain and nausea? Anybody willing to say how long it took their cycle to 'normalise' and or get pregnant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi td2012, I came off the pill in July 2011 after over 10 years on it, my cycles were pretty regular straight away again, varying from 28-30 days. Period pain was worse after the pill as with the pill you're not getting 'real' periods. The only thing i did notice was my perods were very short after coming off the pill, lasting only 2-3 days max. I am now 19 weeks pregnant so I conceived in November. I was lucky at how quickly my body regulated itself again and hopefully you will be too! Best of luck, lots of babydust to you ****

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

That sounds like ovulation pains - they can be quite sore if you arent used to them and if you have been on the pill for nearly a decade, you wouldnt have ovulated.

Some months I got it and it was nearly as bad as period pains - its all good signs though - that your body is getting back to normal. You can keep track of the pains in a diary and it will give you good cycle information for maximum baby-making planning. :)

I cant comment on how soon it took for me off the pill to get pregnant, as we had assistance from Clomid after 1.5 years of no luck. But I do know that fertilty can return right away or can take up to a year to settle down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i came off the pill in jan, had very confused cycle for first 30 days bled 3 times. 40 days later got my positive so it could be anything. I didnt think things would settle so quickly i was on the pill for 12 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

When I came off the pill it took 9 months for my cycles to become normal. By that I mean that I was tracking my temp, cervix position and mucous consistancy and it was 9months before all 3 indicated that I was ovulating. I got pregnant that month. I used the techniques in the "How to take control of your fertility" book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cream Cake

I was on the pill 8 years and im off it 7mths now (start of oct) and nothing is happening.
    My periods are regular- cycle of 32days down to the button now with some painful ovulating pains.
    Im thinking of going to the doctor next month if nothing is still happening.
    When i was on the pill i used always take a month or 2 break from it a couple of times a year.
    Naive as it sounds i thought id get pregnant straight away allowing 1 mth off the pill.
    How long does it take to get pregnant after coming off the pill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

I was on the pill about 12 years too. Came off it in december. Since then i only had 1 period, on the 1st of March. I'm starting to get a bit worried... I had irregular periods before the pill, but never this bad. I know it takes a bit of time, but with this irregularity it's impossible to track anything at all!!
    Any advice anyone? Should i go to the doctor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Cream Cake wrote: »
    How long does it take to get pregnant after coming off the pill

There unfortunately is no right answer to this question. Some women are very fertile when they come off the pill and fall pregnant very quickly. Others take much longer. I am off it 14months now and still nothing but I dont think the pill is blame here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

yellow hen wrote: »
    There unfortunately is no right answer to this question. Some women are very fertile when they come off the pill and fall pregnant very quickly. Others take much longer. I am off it 14months now and still nothing but I dont think the pill is blame here.

I was with my GP recently and as I'm hoping to start TTC in the autumn I discussed coming off the Pill with her. I've been on the Pill 12-14 years with only 3 breaks for surgery and I was concerned that it would take forever to have any degree of normality. The GP said that in her experience women tend to fall pregnant quickly after coming off the Pill as they are almost hyper fertile.
    Kinda wish she hadn't said that as I know I'm going to be really disappointed if it doesn't happen quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I was with my GP recently and as I'm hoping to start TTC in the autumn I discussed coming off the Pill with her. I've been on the Pill 12-14 years with only 3 breaks for surgery and I was concerned that it would take forever to have any degree of normality. The GP said that in her experience women tend to fall pregnant quickly after coming off the Pill as they are almost hyper fertile.
    Kinda wish she hadn't said that as I know I'm going to be really disappointed if it doesn't happen quickly.

Both my sisters were pregnant immediately after coming off the pill so I assumed I would be the same but alas no!!!! I dont think its anything to do with the pill though, just one of those things.:(

Advertisement