Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on Postgrad Application

Options
  • 25-03-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if anybody has any pointers or suggestions on writing up the statement aspect of my postgrad application. I'm coming from an Arts background and applying for a conversion MSc in Computer Science, it's aimed at those with no previous experience - yet, the statement window requests info on any previous experience which may be applicable to my application...

So, I'm doing up a rough draft and have covered all the usual such as any related interests which may overlap with the course, work experience (I'm a mature student so I've 10 years of that to discuss), previous elements of my degree course work which might be of use, personal skills, examples of initiative and so on. Is there anything else that I've missed? - cause it's kind of hard to write about relative experience for a course that's specifically aimed at those who have none....?!

The quota is 32,000 characters - is it ok to fall short or should I try and at least get close to that amount?

Sorry for the long post, would really appreciate it if anyone has any ideas - thanks in advance folks!!

J ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

JayC5 wrote: »

The quota is 32,000 characters - is it ok to fall short or should I try and at least get close to that amount?

I don't know how many words that translates to, but in general one A4 page would be more than enough for a personal statement (in general - I don't know about that course specifically). Reviewing applications is hard work, and reviewers don't want to read huge amounts of text (if it's long, they might not bother at all). I would stick to key points and keep it concise.

Advertisement