Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Septic Tank Empyting/Cleaning recommendation for North Wicklow / South Dublin

• 25-03-2012 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

As above... any recommendations are greatly welcome (by PM, obviously.)

Also, can anyone give me an idea how much it usually costs these days to have and average sized household tank emptied in the above areas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

laois area my uncle a farmer gets a feww calls a month of neighbours to empty thanks they usually throw him 50 quid to clean each tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

laois area my uncle a farmer gets a feww calls a month of neighbours to empty thanks they usually throw him 50 quid to clean each tank

Thanks but it probably wouldn't be worth his while to come to Wicklow, even if I pay him for the extra diesel.

If it does then pm me his contact details please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

How much do the council charge him when he brings it to the local treatment facility??

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

reilig wrote: »
    How much do the council charge him when he brings it to the local treatment facility??

Do I detect a note of scepticism there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

For some reason I grinned when I read that!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Obviously less than a 50 spot anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Enviro Scientist

The above Regulations state,
    2) Subject to sub-articles (3) and (4), only treated sludge may be used in agriculture.

(3) Untreated sludge may be used in agriculture provided that it is previously injected or otherwise worked into land.

(4) Residual sludge from septic tanks may be used on grassland provided that the grassland is not grazed within six months following such use.

There are of course other parts of the waste regulations regarding NMP, metals collection and transport, but you are allowed to spread sludge on agricultural land. Some of the farmers bodies dont like it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

The above Regulations state,
    2) Subject to sub-articles (3) and (4), only treated sludge may be used in agriculture.

(3) Untreated sludge may be used in agriculture provided that it is previously injected or otherwise worked into land.

(4) Residual sludge from septic tanks may be used on grassland provided that the grassland is not grazed within six months following such use.

There are of course other parts of the waste regulations regarding NMP, metals collection and transport, but you are allowed to spread sludge on agricultural land. Some of the farmers bodies dont like it though.

Don't forget that it is illegal to empty a septic tank without a waste collection permit!!

Also, if you are importing sludge which did not originate on the farm, you need a permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Enviro Scientist

Correct on the first, you need a waste collection permit to remove it from the tank,
    with regard to the second if the end use is agriculture it is no longer considered a waste therefore no permit is needed other than to satisfy NMP for Nitrates Regs and Metals in Sewage Sludge in Agriculture Regs.

The country has not keep up to speed with the rest of europe on our enviro regulations and on our vastly increased and dispersed rural population, thus there are loads of apparent anomalies.

Advertisement