Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netopia router and VPN?

Options
  • 25-03-2012 10:01pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have eircom broadband and want to get a static ip address. Eircom say they won't provide one since I'm a residential customer.
    I also want to be able to print things remotely at home over the internet, to the office networked printer.

So could anyone recommend a VPN provider that gives a static ip address?

Obviously if its too slow than I would look for eircom alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,
    Don't get it...

You'll "need" a static IP address at office if you need to print from home to office networked printer,as you connect with a VPN client software-ise,not necessarily office-to-home permanent tunnel !
    Also,there are work-arounds if you do not have static IPs in both ends ,but that depends by hardware router or an inside client to update DynDNS information! Have a look at DynDNS...

Q:
    what router you have at office?
    what server do you have in the office?
    is it networked printer or shared off a PC or server ?
    what bband speed you have at home and at office ?
    do you have permission to "create" vpn connection ?

You can upgrade the Eircom package to Business entry level that allows for one static IP address !
    A cheap ,clean solution could be Logmein,that gives you access to local installed printer ! Files too...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,
    Don't get it...

You'll "need" a static IP address at office if you need to print from home to office networked printer,as you connect with a VPN client software-ise,not necessarily office-to-home permanent tunnel !
    Also,there are work-arounds if you do not have static IPs in both ends ,but that depends by hardware router or an inside client to update DynDNS information! Have a look at DynDNS...

Q:
    what router you have at office?
    what server do you have in the office?
    is it networked printer or shared off a PC or server ?
    what bband speed you have at home and at office ?
    do you have permission to "create" vpn connection ?

You can upgrade the Eircom package to Business entry level that allows for one static IP address !
    A cheap ,clean solution could be Logmein,that gives you access to local installed printer ! Files too...

Both locations have eircom Broadband at current and both are dynamic ip addresses.

The only server we have is an ip phone system which is at my home office.

The printer is networked to a router which is connected to other local computers and to eircom broadband in the main office.

At home I have a constant speed of 3mb, the office is dreadful at 1mb, which is to be upgraded to 5mb. I have permission to administer both networks.

I don't care about remotely printing its not my concern really, I can always use Teamviewer or whatever. What I need is a static ip address for the phone system for a provider for security reasons. Dyndns isn't an option unfortunately.

I was thinking about a VPN, but firstly its known to be slow and secondly you have to pay for it usually when you want a static ip so isn't suitable.

Do you know of any DSL providers that supply static ip addresses? I saw Digiweb but are they any good? There is mixed reviews on that.

I would like to network both offices sometime but the speeds I think aren't suitable, what do you think?

Thanks for your help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

We use vpn in work between 2 shops. We use a dynamic ip, using dyndns, and the vpn is on the netgear router. Works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

There are few ways of doing it,as you have described.
    But it requires access to personal and/or business information ,if you pass me by PM an email address ,i can give a free of charge professional advice.

Regards.

Pataman wrote: »
    We use vpn in work between 2 shops. We use a dynamic ip, using dyndns, and the vpn is on the netgear router. Works fine.
    What provider do you use or how is it setup do you know?
    rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

There are few ways of doing it,as you have described.
    But it requires access to personal and/or business information ,if you pass me by PM an email address ,i can give a free of charge professional advice.

PM sent.

Thanks all for the advice.

• Advertisement

Our setup is: Netgear DG834G at each end, eircom broadband, dynamic ip.
    There is a feature inbuilt in the DG834 for VPN. You set up with a dyndns account as the ip in the router, one for each site. One end is 192.168.0.1 and the other router is 192.168.5.1 and the computers at each end are subnet of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

I think vodafone offer static ip for €4 a month or something like that. Also Wi-max use static ip for free. I have cctv cameras setup with wi max and the ip has not changed in a year and a half....

You don't need to go to the expense of a static ip. We have used a free dyndns account for years with no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jibran

A static IP address is a number (in the form of a dotted quad) that is assigned to a computer by an Internet service provider (ISP) to be its permanent address on the Internet. Computers use IP addresses to locate and talk to each other on the Internet, much the same way people use phone numbers to locate and talk to one another on the telephone.
    If you feel the need to always know what your IP address is then you need a Static IP address, because it is constant.
    So i recommend you go with static ip. and best VPN service provider for static ip is PURE VPN
    Sorces:
    http://www.bestvpnservice.com/providers/30/purevpn.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Even if you assign a static IP Address your router or ISP perform NAT (Network address translation) on your IP address. you can give your home devices any IP address you want as long as they are on the same network as your gateway device inside port (LAN) and that doesnt make it a public IP address. You would need to have a Static NAT ip address that your chosen device (printer) would always have its IP address translated to in order for it to be accessed from a remote network. This is usually a paid for service offered via ISP's.

If there is another option I haven't studied it yet ;)

• Advertisement

I will just move from eircom and get two static ip addresses then open a port for the printer on the ip address and password protect the printer, and firewall the rest. Problem solved.

Advertisement