Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RJ45 to Socket wiring

Options
  • 25-03-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

I've had a few Ethernet wall sockets wired up in the house by a guy who knows what he is doing. What I need to do now is to stick an RJ45 connector on the opposite end of the wall socket cable which will then be plugged in to a switch. I've tried a couple of wire configurations but I'm obviously doing something wrong.

What should the wiring configuration for the RJ45 plug end ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

There is a standard RJ45 cable ( i know ,there are another 2,3..but what are the chances of getting them installed in your house !?? ).
    If u've tried a cable from a local shop,normal straight thorugh RJ45,then i suggest going back to the guy that knew what is doing and ask for his assistance !
    Could be his "known" cabling/termination of those RJ45 ends...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

rolion wrote: »
    There is a standard RJ45 cable ( i know ,there are another 2,3..but what are the chances of getting them installed in your house !?? ).
    If u've tried a cable from a local shop,normal straight thorugh RJ45,then i suggest going back to the guy that knew what is doing and ask for his assistance !
    Could be his "known" cabling/termination of those RJ45 ends...

I think you may have misunderstood. I'll try to be more specific.

PC --> network cable --> ethernet wall socket --> network cable --> "RJ45 plug" --> Switch --> network cable --> Router.

The "RJ45" plug is the bit I need to wire up to the end of the ethernet cable the other end of which is already wired up to the ethernet wall socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

ethcable568b.gif
    Try "B" type first as this would / should have been the wiring standard he used.
    Best to check by unscrewing and checking / redoing the punch downs if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Nelbert wrote: »
    ethcable568b.gif
    Try "B" type first as this would / should have been the wiring standard he used.
    Best to check by unscrewing and checking / redoing the punch downs if necessary.

Cheers Nelbert, I'll give that setup a bash tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

So did u check and terminate the rj45 plugs correctly and get them to work from the switch??

• Advertisement
Advertisement