Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe from redundancy?

Options
  • 25-03-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi All,

100 staff are to go from my employer. Luckily for me, I was advised officially by phone (as I was on days off) that there would be no affect on me and that my Job was safe. This was due to some of my department being seconded to an office abroad, therefore removing some pressure on the numbers.

However, that secondment has fallen through.

My question therefore is can my employer now turn around and tell us we ARE in fact being made redundant, despite being already told we were safe?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Of course: they can decide at any time that your role is no longer required. What they said yesterday can easily change today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sadly, yes. Just heard the news about Munster Glass going under. 87 jobs lost.

Employees were told on Friday their jobs were safe as a buyer had been found. This morning, they were told the deal fell through and the jobs were lost with immediate effect. 41 today, and the remainder over a period of time until the factory's wound down completely.

In these recessionary times, NO-ONE'S job is redundancy-proof. Not even traditionally safe roles like the Civil Service, HSE or Gardai.

Advertisement