Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Floors & Underfloor Heating

Options
  • 25-03-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am planning on putting an engineered wooden floor into the bedrooms of a new build which will be heated by an underfloor heating system.

The intention was to use boards that were are quite wide (10 - 12 inches) but we have been given conflicting advice on whether or not these will warp over time. Some suppliers have said that they will be fine as they are engineered while other have said that each board will curl inwards as it is too wide & that we should instead use narrower ones.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Adam K
    No problem laying. Put 500g visqueen(Polythehe) on floor and turn up behind skirting. Then put a foam underlay on top of visqueen. Then fit your floor. Don't forget to leave an expansion gap around perimeter of floor and all fixed objects in room, like rad pipes/External corners. Check manufacturers installation instructions ( It think gap should be 3mm per running meter width of floor each side. just check it out for safety)
    NW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Please take this post as advice; and not as a condescending rant!

Have you done the figures regarding how UFH will perform within your heating budget, and how it will affect the BER?
    Is the building gone past the point of installing central heating?

Timber flooring shouldn't be laid over UFH from a thermal conductivity aspect and certain do not lay foam underneath.
    You would be basically heating the foundations and hollowcore structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mattwoodturner

I agree. Don't use an underlay. I don't see a problem with wide boards if they are engineered. I'd recommend gluing them to your floor with a proper adhesive for that application. Your supplier should be able to supply this too. Leave an expansion gap at the edges and you shouldn't have any problems. I have UF Heating running off a heat pump and I laid engineered oak timber floors. House is cosy and cheap to run. Good luck with it

Advertisement