Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Council Recognition

• 25-03-2012 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

I have recently become aware that my qualification is only recognised by the Teaching Council for teaching business and not also accounting and economics as I originally thought. Considering the jobs market is already tough as it is, trying to get a job with only business could be near impossible but I really feel passionate about getting into teaching and dont want to give up.
    My question is, how important is teaching council recognition? Is it possible to get a 'foot in' with only one subject and then teach others? Or is it a necessity to have recognition for all subject you teach?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Chris007 wrote: »
    My question is, how important is teaching council recognition?

Principal told us all today to sort out our registration/garda vetting as Dept wont be paying non registered teachers next sept (dunno if this is from a circular though so could be not 100% kosher).
    I'd say register away with the one subject, after that it's up to the school to allocate to you whatever subjects they see fit. Of course other teachers might be a bit miffed if you get hours considering you're 'unqualified'.
    Is it possible to get a 'foot in' with only one subject and then teach others?
    Yes technically, but ya gotta beat off the competition too!! (Do you have pull eh?)
    Or is it a necessity to have recognition for all subject you teach?
    No but it'd be nice. Might come down the line in future though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

Thanks for the reply! Bit of a sticky situation, I really want to get into to teaching but i'm cautious about forking out the €€€'s for a PGDE then to find i'm practically unemployable with only one subject :/ damn council...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

When I was doing my HDip I only had recognition for one subject and was allowed to have full registration. I luckily got a full time job after it and have subsequently qualified in a second subject. So it is possible, but I wouldn't really recommend it at the moment because getting a job with 2 subjects is unlikely, never mind only having one!

Advertisement