Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with advice on a hedge

Options
  • 25-03-2012 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi , I have a hedge between my neighbour which has become overgrown on their side. They wanted to remove it but I refused as it has been there 25 years and has been maintained on my side. They have proceeded to thin it back and it is nearly see through now. Will it thicken back up or is there a danger it may die? I was thinking of cutting it from the top about a foot to see will it help it to thicken again. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you considered a Brazillian?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

mail wrote: »
    Hi , I have a hedge between my neighbour which has become overgrown on their side. They wanted to remove it but I refused as it has been there 25 years and has been maintained on my side. They have proceeded to thin it back and it is nearly see through now. Will it thicken back up or is there a danger it may die? I was thinking of cutting it from the top about a foot to see will it help it to thicken again. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

You could compare what your 'lovely' neighbours have just done with remedial pruning of a hedge to reduce width.

Did it go something like this- They pruned it back harshly last year on their side while you trimmed it lightly like you usually do.

If you guys were doing this on purpose to reduce the hedges width-

it would be your turn to prune your side back to about 8 inches from the main trunk while the 'lovely' neighbours lightly pruned their side BUT if they have inconsiderately hacked their side back, I would be cautious as to how much to cut back your side this year..

You would be right to lightly prune the top of the hedge to stimulate growth further down.

MOST IMPORTANTLY- make sure the hedge is fed because the 'lovely' neighbours certaintly didn' t consider it from what I can read- each time a hedge is pruned nutrients are lost so mulch it with a bag of well rotted manure or give it a liquid feed suited to general purposes, i.e. not tomato feed.

What type of hedge is it and post a pic if you can. :)

Advertisement