Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About Applying to Queens

Options
  • 26-03-2012 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Is it definitely too late to apply for this september? I don't understand how the equivalent of the CAO in the UK works, if anyone could help me out and give me information for next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Hiya,

www.ucas.ac.uk has all of the information you need. It might not be too late.

What kind of courses are you applying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acorn1702

Really open to a lot of courses, primary choice would be Law. Looking at universities in scotland and NI because I want to be part of a UOTC (university officers training corps)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It's not too late to apply for this year however the Jan 15th deadline was the date up to which you were guaranteed your application would be considered by your chosen universities - between then and 30th June your application will only be considered by your chosen universities if they still have places available. There's a link here explaining and the deadlines are broadly similar each year (handy to know if you decide to apply for 2013).

After that point there's a process called 'Clearing' which is when whatever spaces are left (once people pick 1st choices and decline other choices etc.) are freed up again for applicants who meet certain eligibility criteria listed here.

If your chosen course is very popular it's unlikely (though not impossible!) that there'll be many places left for late applications or freed up through Clearing.

Any other questions ask away :)

My five choices right now are (all in queens):

Applied Mathematics and Physics
    Physics and Computer Science
    Psychology
    Criminology
    Law

Haven't decided order yet. I think Law is a very popular course so I might not bother putting it in if it's not going to be my first choice. Really hope I do not have to wait until next year, I have six honours subjects and I'm going for three As and three Bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

acorn1702 wrote: »
    My five choices right now are (all in queens):

Applied Mathematics and Physics
    Physics and Computer Science
    Psychology
    Criminology
    Law

Haven't decided order yet. I think Law is a very popular course so I might not bother putting it in if it's not going to be my first choice. Really hope I do not have to wait until next year, I have six honours subjects and I'm going for three As and three Bs.
    If you call the university admissions number they will tell you which courses are likely to be full.

• Advertisement

I have, she basically told me wouldn't comment on what might be open just said everything except medicine and dentistry is open to applications.

Anyway, got my application done submitted it on friday. How long does it usually take for them to get back to you?

I have, she basically told me wouldn't comment on what might be open just said everything except medicine and dentistry is open to applications.

Anyway, got my application done submitted it on friday. How long does it usually take for them to get back to you?
    Queens take ages. Since you're only applying now it will probably be right before results.
    With this in mind you need to have your mind made up about what you would apply for in clearing if you don't get in.

Queens take ages. Since you're only applying now it will probably be right before results.
    With this in mind you need to have your mind made up about what you would apply for in clearing if you don't get in.
    What do you mean by 'in clearing' ? If I don't get it I will either repeat and apply again next year if my results are lower than expected and if they are as I hope for but still don't get accepted to Queens I will probably take one of my CAO choices.

What do you mean by 'in clearing' ? If I don't get it I will either repeat and apply again next year if my results are lower than expected and if they are as I hope for but still don't get accepted to Queens I will probably take one of my CAO choices.
    If you have no offers by the time Alevel results come out (around 22nd August) you go in to clearing.
    This is when remaining places in courses are filled. I think the CAO equivalent is Admission Rounds.

Advertisement