Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If it has a DVI-Dual link port it should work - contact the manufacturer maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5970/pages/ati-radeon-hd-5970-overview.aspx#2

According to AMD it can do 2560x1600 over Dual like DVI so as GCD suggested make sure you have a Dual link DVI output on your card and your set. The cards listed on those ebay sellers pages aren't complete, it must be a list of cards they have personally tested with the monitor or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Okay my first issue :(

Does anyone lese notice a very slight flicker on a white back ground or on the likes or Boards.ie? I just plugged this straight into my 6870 without changing any setting - have I missed something?

EDIT: Ah it seems its a known issue when you reduce the brightness - back to the blinding light of God for mine then. Got up last night - couldn't sleep wiggles the mouse and "arrrrrgggrggggrrrrrrrG!" I thought I was blind. That was with it turned down :P

Get some LED backlights for your monitor so that it doesn't seem so harsh.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90192071/

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/11/bias-lighting.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

My only criticism is the same as everyone else's - the stand is some for of perpetual motion machine - fart near it and it wobbles for about an hour. Looks cracking though imo! Its actually a bit tall (I'm 6'2") lol I kinda have to look up at it.

Wall mount time :)

Wall mount time :)

There's no accounting for taste but I actually really like the aesthetics of the stand!

• Advertisement

Picked up that Aldi mount, hopefully will get it fixed up tomorrow.

Also spotted a slightly fancier one in Tesco for €40 (tilted left/right as well as up/down) but neither have pivoting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 54,180 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That looks pretty darn sweet.

Id be more confident buying that than those Asian ones. I wonder what is the story with warranty and dead pixels etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

We find that the monitor has a number of connectivity options which are not available in the Achieva / Catleap / Yamakasi units (which just use DL-DVI).

well that's just blatantly untrue for a start

I'm not quite sure why you'd pay $450 - why not buy a Catleap at $300 and use $150 toward a video card to support it.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    That looks pretty darn sweet.

Id be more confident buying that than those Asian ones. I wonder what is the story with warranty and dead pixels etc

This monitor is probably made by one of the same companies that does the eBay ones, I really doubt it's any better quality. So you're mainly paying for warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Just ordered one of the Yamakasi's from amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008FUB3BM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?tag=fczbkkcom-21

Should be here by Friday, works out around €290 with free delivery plus if there's an issue amazon are good to deal with. Will let ye know how I get on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

seklly wrote: »
    Just ordered one of the Yamakasi's from amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008FUB3BM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?tag=fczbkkcom-21

Should be here by Friday, works out around €290 with free delivery plus if there's an issue amazon are good to deal with. Will let ye know how I get on.

You're not actually buying from Amazon though so I'm not sure how helpful they'll be if something does go wrong.

You're not actually buying from Amazon though so I'm not sure how helpful they'll be if something does go wrong.

Yes I realise that but it is bought through them so would give me some confidence. Hopefully I won't need to go back to them!

I thought they were coming from the UK - which would have saved €55 in VAT when it lands - its sill coming from Korea though so expect to be hit with that - which makes it a bit more expensive than ebay.

Either way its a bloody good display and you'll be very happy with it. So far only one person has had any issues and they were resolved at the sellers expense so can't really complain.

I thought they were coming from the UK - which would have saved €55 in VAT when it lands - its sill coming from Korea though so expect to be hit with that - which makes it a bit more expensive than ebay.

Either way its a bloody good display and you'll be very happy with it. So far only one person has had any issues and they were resolved at the sellers expense so can't really complain.

I actually thought it was coming from the UK as well (maybe it was the seller name: AccessoriesWhole-UK!!) but you're right, it seems to be coming from Korea.

My aim was to get away with the VAT charges by buying here but looks like that's out the window! Will see what happens!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hey guys, im currently using a nice spec 32" tv @1920X1080 and everything. Everything looks and plays excellently certainly a lot better than my old 24"lcd 1080p monitor.
    Anyone that sees the thing in action comments on the image quality.
    These catleaps got me thinking just how good can they possibly be?
    If i was to make a purchase wil i see much of an image quality improvement? will it be worth sacrificying my current 32" of monitor real estate?
    Also will my HD 6950 cut it?

Im considering a new gfx card, maybe a GTX670 but not sure i want to splash out on both a new card and one of these monitors.

It comes down to the sharpness - really for games a good TV v Catleap - some people will tell you its the best thing since slided bread some will take it or leave it.

For work aspects I love it - I couldn't use a TV for Word/Emails etc. The screen real estate for windows work is brilliant as well.

6950 should be grand my 6870 wasn't bad tbh.

what part of kildare you in?

i'm in castledermot, if you have a car you can nip down here and take a look at my screen to see if it's something you'd be interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Nollog

Dcully wrote: »
    Hey guys, im currently using a nice spec 32" tv @1920X1080 and everything. Everything looks and plays excellently certainly a lot better than my old 24"lcd 1080p monitor.
    Anyone that sees the thing in action comments on the image quality.
    These catleaps got me thinking just how good can they possibly be?
    If i was to make a purchase wil i see much of an image quality improvement? will it be worth sacrificying my current 32" of monitor real estate?
    Also will my HD 6950 cut it?

Im considering a new gfx card, maybe a GTX670 but not sure i want to splash out on both a new card and one of these monitors.

The catleap has a higher resolution which should make it look better.

• Advertisement

what part of kildare you in?

i'm in castledermot, if you have a car you can nip down here and take a look at my screen to see if it's something you'd be interested in

Thanks for the offer mate, i might try fit that in soon, will contact you if so.
    Im in Monasterevin btw.

@ /\/ollog yeah im aware of this mate, im just wondering if its really noticeable and worth the cash for me personally is all :)

The other thing is if you get it and don't like it you'll easily get what you paid for it on adverts. One went up and was gone in a day after someone got it and had eyestrain issues.

I will call that one out actually as I had mild eyestrain with it until I got used to it and adjusted it a bit.

The other issues is if you're using it as a HTPC as well as a PC (like I was) is that there is no adjustment on the monitor at all (save brightness that I wouldn't touch because of flicker) so all adjustments have to be done by the GPU which will then show up on the TV too.

The other thing is if you get it and don't like it you'll easily get what you paid for it on adverts. One went up and was gone in a day after someone got it and had eyestrain issues.

I will call that one out actually as I had mild eyestrain with it until I got used to it and adjusted it a bit.

The other issues is if you're using it as a HTPC as well as a PC (like I was) is that there is no adjustment on the monitor at all (save brightness that I wouldn't touch because of flicker) so all adjustments have to be done by the GPU which will then show up on the TV too.

Hmm this eye strain slightly concerns me, ive got pretty sensitive sight and have had issues in the past.

Thanks for the offer mate, i might try fit that in soon, will contact you if so.
    Im in Monasterevin btw.

@ /\/ollog yeah im aware of this mate, im just wondering if its really noticeable and worth the cash for me personally is all :)

cool, next week sometime is good for me i'm away this week but send me a pm a night or two before you want to call down and it'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 54,180 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hmm this eye strain slightly concerns me, ive got pretty sensitive sight and have had issues in the past.

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/13815/:D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Hey guys,

I've got a fairly beastly computer in works; I figure it needs a good monitor, and with all the good things I've heard about the catleaps there can be no other choice.

Problem is... I really haven't a clue who I should buy from.

I have seen wide variations in price between the main sellers - even identical monitors with the same specs.

I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I also want to make sure that I don't get shafted when it comes to quality... so who would you suggest I buy from? I'd really appreciate links to individual auctions if you have a moment!

I noticed there are white versions going too. While I wouldn't bother paying above the odds for one, I could easily be tempted to go for one as my case is a white NZXT 410

1Phantom410.jpg

The best one to go for for gaming in the Q207 SE

The Multi and other ones have extra ports you dont want.

Does your video card support DVI Dual link?

Should be around $309.99 from green-sum inc delivery. Will come to about €310 with customs charges.

The best one to go for for gaming in the Q207 SE

The Multi and other ones have extra ports you dont want.

Does your video card support DVI Dual link?

Should be around $309.99 from green-sum inc delivery. Will come to about €310 with customs charges.

Cheers for the reply.

Can I ask what particular advantages the Q207 SE offers for gaming?

-- the extra ports on the multi versions, are they simply extra inputs (HDMI / etc?), as I have an xbox 360 and one or two things lying around which I might like to hook up to the screen.

Fairly sure my card supports DVI dual link - it's a 4GB GTX 670 https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards+-+GPUs/Graphics+Cards+-+NVIDIA/GeForce+GTX+670/EVGA+GeForce+GTX+670+4096MB+SC+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+w%2F+Backplate+?productId=50350

EDIT! Been looking at this, price seems lower than a few others - would this be a good bet or am I missing something? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-Q270-SE-27-LED-2560X1440-WQHD-DVI-D-Dual-Computer-Monitor-/140738200221?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20c4a6829d

-- I notice it doesn't mention pixel perfect, but I'm not sure if that matters. Does this guarantee that there will be dead pixels? Or could the monitor still be without any dead pixels?

Thanks so much again,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Nollog

vard wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply.

Can I ask what particular advantages the Q207 SE offers for gaming?

-- the extra ports on the multi versions, are they simply extra inputs (HDMI / etc?), as I have an xbox 360 and one or two things lying around which I might like to hook up to the screen.

The more ports you have, the more laggy the image can get, is my understanding. Due to scalers and whatnot.

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    The more ports you have, the more laggy the image can get, is my understanding. Due to scalers and whatnot.

Thanks!

I've been looking around at the similarly priced alternatives; Crossover / shimian's - do you know if these are these superior/inferior or identical products?

Advertisement