Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    how much was customs?

Haven't got the bill from fed ex yet. I am expecting it to be approx €130 based on the price on Amazon. I overpaid for the monitor on Amazon because I had vouchers available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,181 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there any other good cheap 120hz monitors out there besides the catleap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I'm planning to build my first proper gaming pc soon and these monitors look excellent. A while back I was using a 27'' iMac for college and loved the big screen, so would love to have one for my home computer. I just have a few questions though:

1) Which model would people recommend for gaming on? I get the impression the pixel perfect one is the one to go for, which model is that?

2) Where would I get it from? Greensum?

3) What kind of graphics card would I need to use this monitor for gaming on high settings? I'm still deciding on a budget but want to know what I might be getting myself into!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Reading the thread might help Doctor ;)

Andy!! wrote: »
    Reading the thread might help Doctor ;)

To be fair, it's a big thread and there's lots of people looking to use it for different things!

It's fine, most of the stuff I can find or figure out myself, the main thing I want to know is about the models.

When I look them up on ebay there's a lot of different models: SE, SEi, 2703 etc.

I'm just wondering which is the one people would recommend for gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Have a go, I did, very interesting thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    To be fair, it's a big thread and there's lots of people looking to use it for different things!

It's fine, most of the stuff I can find or figure out myself, the main thing I want to know is about the models.

When I look them up on ebay there's a lot of different models: SE, SEi, 2703 etc.

I'm just wondering which is the one people would recommend for gaming.

The models basically differ as follows :- with or without tempered glass (consensus is you want without, reports of dust under the glass), with or without extra inputs (base model comes w only a dual link DVI connection, this is the one gamers go for on the (belief?) that the other inputs add lag).

The different manufacturers then offer different stands/bezels (no consensus here, catleap is a nice bezel and stand, if you're going to mount and are ok with the white/black bezel go for Shimian as its easier to mount).

Finally, the ebay suppliers then add their own quality control options, Pixel Perfect or not - this means they will open the box and check for dead pixels for you. Hard to know if this is worth it, my preference would probably be for a supplier who didn't offer it at all, on the basis that one who does is presumably massively increasing the chances of getting a stuck pixel in the non-Pixel Perfect models (assuming they are re-selling the ones they open and find a pixel issue with).

As for card, go for the best gaming card you can afford that has a dual link DVI (any expensive card will!).

Finally, finally, just do it - I can't get over how lovely this screen is, makes sitting down at my desktop an absolute pleasure.

Thanks a lot Phibsboro! Appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Anyone around Maynooth have one of these? I've been thinking of a monitor upgrade for a while, but given my fairly bad eyesight, I'm not sure whether 2560x1440 in a 27" screen would be wasted on me or not, and I'd like to see one in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Serephucus wrote: »
    Anyone around Maynooth have one of these? I've been thinking of a monitor upgrade for a while, but given my fairly bad eyesight, I'm not sure whether 2560x1440 in a 27" screen would be wasted on me or not, and I'd like to see one in person.
    Would you not look at laser surgery for these bad eyes of yours?

• Advertisement

way too bad for laser. To give you an idea, some laser places say they'll do up to -5 or so. Any competent ophthalmologist will tell you they shouldn't go past -3 without risking serious damage (but they'll happily take your money and just tell you risk is part of it, etc.). I'm -12. ;)

way too bad for laser. To give you an idea, some laser places say they'll do up to -5 or so. Any competent ophthalmologist will tell you they shouldn't go past -3 without risking serious damage (but they'll happily take your money and just tell you risk is part of it, etc.). I'm -12. ;)
    Aw, pity, know a girl that had it done, €5000ish-->few years savings for her.

They asked could she see the time on the clock in the room before they did it, she couldn't make it out at all, no problem after.:eek:

Best money she ever spent.

I've heard the other side of the coin; people that have got it from supposed experts, and had nothing but problems a while afterwards. One girl I know ended up going blind because of it. Even if it did get to a point where they could do something with my eyes, I wouldn't go near it for ten years anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I got to see a friends catleap over the weekend,lovely monitor for sure but not much better than the one i chose instead.
    I feared dead pixels etc after the same friend had almost an 8 week wait after receiving his first monitor which had dead pixels to get his replacement.
    I went with a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24" instead and am delighted with it, hand on heart there isnt as much of a difference as i was lead to believe.
    When my friend saw my monitor in the flesh a few weeks ago he said there wasnt much of a difference,i couldnt comment as i hadnt seen his in the flesh until the weekend but after gaming on it i wasnt really anymore impressed than the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M.
    Dont get me wrong, its a lovely screen but coming from the Dell to it i wasnt anywhere near as impressed as i expected.
    Considering i wear glasses for reading and tv i thought the dell was a better choice as its very user friendly, their presets seem perfect for the job at hand be it browsing or gaming.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've heard the other side of the coin; people that have got it from supposed experts, and had nothing but problems a while afterwards. One girl I know ended up going blind because of it. Even if it did get to a point where they could do something with my eyes, I wouldn't go near it for ten years anyway.

I was pretty settled on getting it done (provided at my next exam my eyesight hasn't deteriorated) and now I read about your friend going blind. Now I'm scared. :D

With regards the monitor, surely, it doesn't matter how poor your eyesight is as long as glasses are able to correct it.

With regards the monitor, surely, it doesn't matter how poor your eyesight is as long as glasses are able to correct it.

Not quite. I have the usual thing of blurry vision, needing glasses, but I've got a few other eye conditions as well. It would take too long to explain, but the end point is it's just one of those things I'd have to see first, before I shell out the €350 (or whatever they're going for now) to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

-12? I'm -2 and I think I'd be lost without my glasses/ contacts. Jaysus, sucks for you :(.

"Supposedly" a great exercise for eyes is...

Stand beside a window and look at something outside off in the distance and then refocus your eyes on the window glass and then back off into the distance.

Don't know if it actually improves anything but was reading that eyes like everything else need a bit of exercise and thats the best.

Feck off now and no laughing.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

"Supposedly" a great exercise for eyes is...

Stand beside a window and look at something outside off in the distance and then refocus your eyes on the window glass and then back off into the distance.

Don't know if it actually improves anything but was reading that eyes like everything else need a bit of exercise and thats the best.

Feck off now and no laughing.:p

Yeah, very relevant advice to the people in this thread in particular whom I'm assuming are all very heavy computer users. I've been making a great effort recently to blink more often when using my PC, too soon to say if it's helped though. I have nearsightedness that's definitely been brought on from protracted screen use.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

We need a thread here: how many eyes you got? 2 or 4? :D

I was thinking myself of laser surgery, but I am way too afraid of it. Plus I will feck it up again as I spend **** loads of time in front of 3 monitors....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,181 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i was thinking of laser surgery but i learnt that i cant be like cyclops from xmen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you can pop over and have a look at mine if carlow's any good to you

i dunno how far away maynooth is from carlow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

ever in Limerick?

headshot is unsure if he needs one. someone convince him.

Thanks for the offers lads, but unfortunately I'm almost never anywhere other than Maynooth or Dublin. I think I drove through Limerick once, and not sure I've ever been in Carlow. :P

I'm not sure if he needs a Catleap, but if he's running anything TN-based, he sure-as-hell needs to get his ass in gear and at least upgrade to an IPS or VA panel.

its a 32" TN TV. with gtx670 SLI.

He needs a f*cking Catleap.

couldn't have said it more elegantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

has anyone used one of these screens with an external player?

i tried plugging my blu ray player into it with a hdmi/dvi adapter but couldnt get it working. it was a tight tight fit with the adapter so I guess it might not have been making a connection but anyone used a console/external media player with one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The monitor uses Dual-DVI which is only found on PC GPUs. You will not be able to use it with anything else, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Brian wrote: »
    The monitor uses Dual-DVI which is only found on PC GPUs. You will not be able to use it with anything else, as far as I know.

HDMI has the same bandwidth as Dual Link DVI (near enough), and passive adapters can work.
    Check out Single Link DVI limits and you'll see that basic HDMI surpasses it.
    HDMI has a dual link variety too (1.3).

Advertisement