Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I have a 670GTX, if I want to run a second catleap, I need another card?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think that both DVI connectors are dual link on the standard 670. So you could run two from the one card.

That's a lot of pixels though. More than 3 HD monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Sweet, got the go ahead from my landlord to put in the rawl plugs for that Aldi monitor mount. Will be a nice load off my desk which is already going to have to cope with a 30 kg CRT alongside the Catleap :D

Ah crap, the VGA for the CRT and Dual DVI are on the same DVI-I port on my 6850.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Brian wrote: »
    Ah crap, the VGA for the CRT and Dual DVI are on the same DVI-I port on my 6850.

Any suggestions?

No amount of adapters are going to solve your problem. The logical upgrade would be another 6850 but you want to do your research before buying another card. That way you can crossfire them for a performance boost, instead of just getting a monitor to work.

• Advertisement

The 6850 doesn't seem to have come down much in price since I bought it for €150 a year and a half ago... still retailing for over €100. If I were to sell mine for €100 is there a sub-€200 card I could get that would do both monitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

guys, how much in general catleap works out with customs? ( i know customs are different, but average of all bundle in the end? )

and any more news on 120hz version?

i play a lot of EVE online and that would be the game, which would benefit A LOT from 1440p resolution.

The 6850 doesn't seem to have come down much in price since I bought it for €150 a year and a half ago... still retailing for over €100. If I were to sell mine for €100 is there a sub-€200 card I could get that would do both monitors?

This chart is a pretty good guideline:
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Possible cards:
    GTX 480
    GTX 560 Ti
    Radeon 7870
    Radeon 7850

Check out the ports on the back though, each brand will have their own combination.

I have a low profile 6450 ... don't think I'll be able to Crossfire it though. Might work.

Actually I have an HTPC-style low profile 6450 which has a VGA port, might see if I can Crossfire that.

Cool, at the very least you will be able to get them both working without much hassle, I think the Catalyst drivers will just pick it up.
    I don't think you can crossfire them properly though, and whatever games you run, will be running off the card they are displayed through.

• Advertisement

Ah, really. I found out that they must be of the same hundred-series, ie 6850 only works with 6850 and 6870 in Crossfire. But I don't really need Crossfire if I can just run the Catleap off the 6450 (apparently it has Dual DVI) for browsing and the CRT off the 6850 for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think if you were to run it in crossfire, you'd have to have them connected from the same card. Having two cards in the system separately should probably work though.

I just collected a Q270 2B from DHL.
    I was lucky enough to catch it from 120hz.net before they sold out.
    I just checked it, it's pixel perfect and no colour bleed - standard shoddy stand.
    I'll be able to test the 120hz later when I get home from work.

http://i.imgur.com/J3rft.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

excellent. how much did it work out to be? do you have a standard catleap to compare it to?

The 2Bs PCBs were only manufactured for two months in early 2012, currently there is also a shortage of panels in the industry right now. Because of this, their availability is really low and I paid a premium to get it.

I paid $775 for a pixel perfect including shipping (I originally paid $650 but a balls-up on their side meant that I either had to upgrade or get a refund).
    I got diddled with the exchange rate, it came close to €600 before vat.
    I didn't ask for it, but the price seems to have been marked down a tiny bit, VAT was an extra 90 euro.
    I didn't have to pay any import fee's, but the box wasn't marked with any TARIC codes which I requested on the box either.
    In the end it might seem like a lot, but considering this is the only monitor in the world that runs 1440p@120hz I didn't care.

It's pixel perfect, I cant find any bleed problems with it, the colour is a little less yellow than I expected (2Bs were more yellow than 2Cs or 2Ds). I can get 120hz on it no problem, but some games need console commands to run higher than 60. I can actually put it higher than 120hz, but after about 124hz I can notice some blue horizonal-line artefacts across the screen with the stock cable (only in games mind you), I have yet to try a thicker gauge cable.
    Stand is a bit wobbly, I might consider replacing it.

I don't have other catleaps right now, I worked with some a while back but I don't have access to them anymore. Comparing my existing 60hz screens to the catleap's 120hz is a little depressing, the smoothness between them on a multidesktop setting is night and day. I played some Dota 2 on it last night, it uses ScaleForm properly (which is essentially flash technology embedded in games) and the UI is crystal clear, I had to set_maxfps 120 though. Not my picture, but here is an example of how clear the mini maps and hud can be: http://www.abload.de/img/dota2-4qbku4.jpg

I regret nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

lol, bonersurprise

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

lads looking in to get one for these and was just wonder is a 2gb hd7850 ok for it
    will it be able to work with it ??
    and which are the best sellers to get it off
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

lads looking in to get one for these and was just wonder is a 2gb hd7850 ok for it
    thanks

I have a similar question,
    Will this card be ok to run a 120hz catleap?
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=66982&agid=1942
    It's a 3d Radeon 3gb HD7980

Thanks

thanks

A standard Catleap will run on any modern card that's priced above 150 euro, but gaming on one is a different story. Big Cloth craft on ebay is very reliable. Also Greensum, but hes become expensive.
    trackerman wrote: »
    I have a similar question,
    Will this card be ok to run a 120hz catleap?
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=66982&agid=1942
    It's a 3d Radeon 3gb HD7980

Thanks

That's a 7950 btw, 7980 does not exist yet. It will fair well on a 2B. Check 120hz.net, the guys there use GTX 680s and they say it's fine.
    You can buy 2Bs from 120hz.net (out of stock now) or Greensum, but greensum.com might be blocked as of late to increase a monopoly. The 2Bs are not on greensums ebay. The 120hz capable boards were only made for a limited time by Witech so they may never be made again, you might be better off looking for a second hand one from 120hz.net or www.overclockers.com since the waiting list on 120hz might be a bit long. Expect to pay in excess of $800 for one.

Most cards from 2 years ago will "run" a 120hz Catleap @ 120hz.
    It's what games you run on it that you need to be concerned about.
    I'm using 2 GTX 480s to run my Catleap, Most games will hit 120 just fine with one card, but the newer games like Max Payne 3 will only go just above 60 on highest settings. Using 2 cards can introduce microstutter.

At this kind of output (over 400mhz pixel clock, that's a lot of pixels per second), everything matters, even the quality of your cable (which wouldn't normally matter to anyone). Your CPU and motherboard are going to need to be good to put up with a newly released AAA title, they have a higher chance of bottlenecking you.

If you're looking for some king of milestone chart:

230729.jpeg
    230730.jpeg
    230731.jpg

boards.ie catleap owners list and info google doc - credit to witnessmenow and his post here
    add yourself here if you havent already please!

Note: some GPU's listed as unsupported do work. eg, 5850, 5970. ask if youre unsure though!

Specs:

-Size : 27"
    -Panel Type: IPS
    -Resolution : 2560x1440 WQHD
    -Screen Ratio : 16:9 WIDESCREEN
    -Static Contrast Ratio 1,000:1
    -Brighness : 380cd/m2
    -Response Time : 6ms
    -Viewing Angle : 178"/178"
    -Input Signal : DVI-D Dual Link ONLY (unless otherwise stated/multi)
    -Power Supply Voltage : DC 24V 5A (all you need is a kettle lead)
    -Power Consumption : 63W(ON), 0.6W(Stanby, off)
    -Product Size with stand : 648mm x 505mm x 259mm

FAQ:
    • These are purchased on eBay from South Korea. Suggested sellers are Samsung_Korea, GreenSum and BigCloth

• 2B models (READ: those shipped in February 2012 and 120hz.net exclusive limited runs) Catleap monitors can be overclocked to run 100hz+

• Newer Catleaps seem to have a top OC limit of 65-67hz.

• A PCB swap is possible to make newer Catleaps OC to 100hz+ and 120hz.net has been looking for a factory to produce the PCB, but its a difficult job, and only expected in 2013. The PCB when produced is expected to cost $50-$80 and will be in a very limited supply.

• No 240V/120V step down transformer or EU adapter needed. All you need is a generic PSU cable (AKA kettle lead)

• It's a glossy display, no AG coating

• Inputs will vary depending on the model you purchased. Dual DVI, audio, power, and HDMI are the only inputs (most will have power/DVI only.)

• It's an 8 bit display.

• No OSD (on this basic "Lite" model), just LED backlight brightness (and volume as applicable).

• It has an LG IPS LCD panel, the same one found in 27" iMacs. The Dell u2711 uses the LM270WQ2, these use the LM270WQ1.

• Yes, it's fine for gaming. Due to the lack of any extra inputs input lag is on par with a 720p TV. only the very best FPS players could argue for a lower GtoG lag time. I went from a 2ms panel to this and I cant tell a difference, aside from the catleap being incredible.

• It's 60hz default, not 120hz.

• Monitor has a VESA mount (3" square). a portion of plastic at the rear is easily removable for easy access to it.

• There may be a valid manufacturer's warranty, but it requires you to ship the monitor back to Korea (roughly $130 shipping.) Some sellers have started offering 14 day returns (same deal with shipping costs though.)

• The stand does tilt back and is pretty wobbly.

• Some sellers ship FedEx others EMS. EMS, once it enters the Ireland, is handed over to An Post.

• There are more models, similar to Catleap out there, They're using the same panel but different stands etc. other are the Achievia Shiminay etc Only the catleap has the potential to overclock.

• expect to be hit by customs anywhere from €50-€80. budget for it. Fedex usually posts you the letter a week after you receive it, but may hold it and expect customs upfront, as well as proof of purchase.

• Delivery is usually between 3-6 days to Ireland.

Suggested readings and credits go to:

overclock.net yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club [colour profiles can be found under its respective headings]

very in-depth review here and lots of pics

more here

120hz.net

ToastyX for all the work he's put into OCing and colour profiling.

• Advertisement

thread OP updated to the above template. if anyone wants me to add anything let me know. thanks solitaire and cherryghost.

Gotham wrote: »
    A standard Catleap will run on any modern card that's priced above 150 euro, but gaming on one is a different story. Big Cloth craft on ebay is very reliable. Also Greensum, but hes become expensive.

so what ur saying is i should be grand for most games bar new one like battlefield and the likes?

so what ur saying is i should be grand for most games bar new one like battlefield and the likes?

If you want to play games on it, then you should buy a card for the type of games you wish to play. The GTX 570 is a pretty good price to power ratio, any GPU in the top 15 of this list is going to run most games fine including BF3 on medium:

So, I'm saying don't worry about getting a card that will "run" the Catleap, they all will - get one that will run the game at 1440p. Remember, that's double the resolution of 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    boards.ie catleap owners list and info google doc - credit to witnessmenow and his post here
    add yourself here if you havent already please!

Awesome, didn't see that spreadsheet before. Looks like I win on price! Think the exchange rate was ok at the time and I didn't get caught at customs! I added in some details about light bleed anyway.

Gotham wrote: »
    If you want to play games on it, then you should buy a card for the type of games you wish to play. The GTX 570 is a pretty good price to power ratio, any GPU in the top 15 of this list is going to run most games fine including BF3 on medium:

So, I'm saying don't worry about getting a card that will "run" the Catleap, they all will - get one that will run the game at 1440p. Remember, that's double the resolution of 1080p.

AH u see i have already got the 7850 i am think will my games run on it.. sounds like they will just have to tone done the settings tho thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Can you only get these Catleaps on Ebay? there is so many different ones, I haven't a clue which to get

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there's a seller on amazon.co.uk but afaik it's just one of the ebay sellers who has a storefront on amazon

someone did buy from them and I think they were happy, dunno how many pages back but it's not that long a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

I will have a look, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

there's a seller on amazon.co.uk but afaik it's just one of the ebay sellers who has a storefront on amazon

someone did buy from them and I think they were happy, dunno how many pages back but it's not that long a thread

i think the only one reason why that person bought from amazon, because he had vouchers. it was a lot more expensive then ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

i think the only one reason why that person bought from amazon, because he had vouchers. it was a lot more expensive then ebay.

That was me, and yes it was a fair bit more expensive via Amazon. Can't find it on Amazon when I look now so he might not be there any more.

Advertisement