Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Mine was perfect apart from being blinded by it the first time I used it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Heretofore

Dcully wrote: »
    DHL just rang me and stuck me with a bill for €57 , paid by cc.

So total of €352 for the monitor, fingers crossed its a good one.

just paid mine aswell, they got me for €56.52

• Registered Users Posts: 27 numbskull20

Has anyone bought from the seller, accessorieswhole? They seem to be the cheapest. I was looking at the spreadsheet. What happened with Peneau's purchase?

Would anyone recommend the Crossover? The stand doesn't look as cheap as the Catleap.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CROSSOVER-NEW-27QD-LED-BLADE-2560x1440-DVI-D-Dual-LG-S-IPS-27-Speaker-Monitor-/120972653693?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c2a88347d#ht_19447wt_1094

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

Mine is still in germany at the moment .. just hope not to have many dead pixels ... looks like where getting dearest ones and the price is gone up again ??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Has anyone bought from the seller, accessorieswhole? They seem to be the cheapest. I was looking at the spreadsheet. What happened with Peneau's purchase?

Would anyone recommend the Crossover? The stand doesn't look as cheap as the Catleap.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CROSSOVER-NEW-27QD-LED-BLADE-2560x1440-DVI-D-Dual-LG-S-IPS-27-Speaker-Monitor-/120972653693?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c2a88347d#ht_19447wt_1094
    His last post on thread:
    peneau wrote: »
    Just thought I'd post this FYI for the curious. I went ahead and bought the Crossover 27" Monitor and although my graphics card the SAPPHIRE HD 5970 2GB GDDR5 PCIE is listed on many of the seller's of this monitor ebay pages, as having no support for this card, I can confirm that this is not the case I've just hooked it up to my card using the supplied DVI cable and voila no problems display fired up and I have to say is looking absolutely gorgeous and every cent a circa €700 (or whatever) monitor. In work I use the Apple 27" display and I have to say this can certainly hold its own against it. Had a quick look and I appear to have been lucky, can't detect any dead/stuck pixels, monitor shipped on Monday from S.Korea and arrived Dublin, Thursday afternoon (Fed Ex) no additional charges as of yet, but will post back if I get any unwelcome requests in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cully stick up a few pics of the badboy when you get it.....I am seriously interested in getting one. I have a 6990 and wonder if it would be good enough to power this playing BF3 etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

This i suffix is just that they allow 20 dead pixels too.

Looks like the boat may have sailed.

wow **** that. 20 dead pixel policy is a joke. Q270SeI is to be avoided so.

I love how he also mentions December discount... then puts up the price.

Cully I would consider €350 a decent price these days.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Cully stick up a few pics of the badboy when you get it.....I am seriously interested in getting one. I have a 6990 and wonder if it would be good enough to power this playing BF3 etc.....

I had a 6990 and it was excellent at this resolution. it'll run BF3 at ultra settings and never drop below 60fps if you drop to 2xAA. min fps in F1 2011 @ ultra was 72fps.

6990 is still a beast by today's standards. it holds its own against the 7970 / 680.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Tea what fps do you get now with the 690 on bf3?

I've no idea actually. everything is set to ultra but vsync is on cause I get some occasional stuttering in the jet if its off. I'd test fraps now but the last update corrupted my game, and a repair won't fix it. its probably around 100fps going by the single player benchmarks @ 120fps.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    wow **** that. 20 dead pixel policy is a joke. Q270SeI is to be avoided so.

I love how he also mentions December discount... then puts up the price.

Cully I would consider €350 a decent price these days.

I had a 6990 and it was excellent at this resolution. it'll run BF3 at ultra settings and never drop below 60fps if you drop to 2xAA. min fps in F1 2011 @ ultra was 72fps.

6990 is still a beast by today's standards. it holds its own against the 7970 / 680.

Nice but I really really love the look of the nvidia 690 cant really justify the price of it when I have a 6990, is there much of a performance increase over the 6990?
    Reason I ask is I am currently in the middle of building a new PC so my 6990 will be getting sold me thinks. Just trying to sort out what to get for my new build and get the stuff ordered before xmas Inlcd my new montior.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Its out for delivery as i type so should get it today.
    Fecking worried about pixels now tbh.
    I forsee a stressfull 10-15 mins while i make room and set this thing up for first look.

The following was linked to me by someone who knows the guy who posted and swears by his knowledge,apparently he works with in the business.
    Might help those considering the jump to 2560X1440.
    Its copied from the "1440p and Above Gaming Club" on overclock.net.

- 4GB/3GB of vram is NOT needed for running a single 1440p/1600p monitor and is for people running 1440p/1600p eyefinity/surround setups period.

- 2Gb of vram is more then perfect for any SINGLE 1440p/1600p monitor and will run with zero hiccups

- 1GB/1.5GB of vram is good enough to run 1440p/1600p easily, BUT there are the exception of a few games when AA is turned on you will run into a vram cap, so if no AA is on you will run 1440p/1660p fine
    **AA is not needed for 1440p/1600p because of the amount of pixels, AA is needed at 1080p**

- Ok now the touchy subject MODS, i am someone who does not care for mods, so all of the above are true and apply to me. for those who decided they like running excessive texture mods in games like skyrim for example, 2GB of vram will get you by with a few decent texture mods on 1440p, not 100% sure about 1600p. for those wanting to run excessive amount of texture mods purchase a 3GB/4GB card and you will have no issue with hitting the vram cap. users using 1GB/1.5GB of vram dont really recommend running texture mods because your will hit the vram cap fairly easily.

- Lastly for those running under 1GB of vram you will be able to run the 1440p/1600p monitors and even game on them as long as ANY texture/shader settings are turned down to low/med settings.

@iARDAs please sticky this, im tired of seeing countless questions on weather the "X" amount of vram will run 1440p/1600p screens.. now they have there answers

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Heretofore

Its out for delivery as i type so should get it today.
    Fecking worried about pixels now tbh.
    I forsee a stressfull 10-15 mins while i make room and set this thing up for first look.

Did you get it yet? Mine is now showing up 'delivery attempted, recipient not at home'. Had somebody in the house waiting all day and they havent moved!

Well she just arrived,first few observations:

The stand sucks :( I have a rock solid desk,very heavy, was an expensive yoke and i can see the monitor wobbling slightly as i type or click on one of the brightness buttons etc on the monitor itself.

I definitely have 2 dead pixels,one is absolutely tiny the other could be two together as its a tiny bit bigger, both are near the center of the screen :(
    But its only noticeable when displaying either very bright or very dark.
    They are so small i doubt ill notice after a while,just a shame they are in the center area,but they really are tiny,when i showed the wife she said im too fussy lol.

Now on to the positives, WOW just WOW! Everything is just so crystal clear, from text to gaming just amazing.
    Im able to run BF3 multiplayer @ Ultra and not drop below 55fps @ 2560X1440 with my card.
    Granted its not locked at 60+ fps with ultra settings but it looks so incredibly sharp who gives a damn tbh.
    Just for the lols i dropped down to low settings with no AA in BF3 and everything was just so crisp and clear @ this res it looked better than Ultra with 8XAA @ 1920X1200 :eek::eek:
    Im telling ya guys, high resolution beats everything else after experiencing this.
    Im keen to try far cry 3,Planetside2, etc as BF3 was the first game i tried.
    So far so good, if this thing proves reliable ill be more than happy with my purchase.

Finally i did notice some very slight input lag compared to my Dell U2412M IPS but after 10 mins i was fragging with the best of them.
    Here again ill take this resolution above anything else from now on :)

Just a quick photo taken with my phone.

WP_000737.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

2 dead pixels in the centre is a pain in a gap allright :(. its even worse when you KNOW its there so you always see it.

still a very god dammit good xmas present for yourself! :D i got 400eu put away for my xmas present and stll not decided what to go for...

i would like to get that overclockers 1440p monitor but no way i will pay 490eu for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sorry to hear about the dead pixels. That is one thing that is stopping me getting a catleap. I like things exact and having dead pixels in the middle of the screen would drive me nuts. Does look cool on the desk there I have to say. Well wear

The dead pixels really are tiny though lads, you would need to go very close and squint to see the smallest one, the other is also tiny.
    I honestly have to look for it to see it even though its near the middle of the screen.
    That photo doesnt do it justice, the detail on that wallpaper for example is just incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

Sorry to hear about the dead pixels but it still looks beautiful :)
    Got hit with 23e of customs so it looks like a complete lottery.
    Any one know if dhl deliver on a sat if not looks like I'll get it on Monday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

have fun looking for 1440p desktop wallpapers

precious few of them around that are any good (scantily clad asian women), it's all vistas and cityscapes

technically 2 dead in centre is faulty. i believe some sellers will pay/refund the return postage fee when you exchange it, but it also takes a while (2 weeks + return delivery time?).

might be something to keep in mind. that said, if youre happy, theres no point. and im so glad im not the only one whos now obsessed with resolution. once you go 25*14, going back to 1080p looks terrible. my housemate was playing LoL @ 1024*768, and i just laughed. you can barely see any detail on the map.

Im happy so far tea bag, i just hooked up my U2412M again for a direct comparison and i still say its a fantastic monitor,dont get me wrong there is a big difference between 2560X1440 and 1920X1200 but not as much as 1920X1080 and 1920X1200 which surprised me, yeah i grabbed my sons 1080 monitor and hooked it up too for the lols, i actually enjoyed going between the 3 of them to compare.
    Having spent the last hour or so comparing them , yes i agree going back to 1080 would be hard to take, the gap back to 1200 however is closer than i expected.
    TBH im not sure ill sell the U2412M afterall, 8 weeks old only i know but what id get for it would be worth more to hold onto it for peace of mind if this catleap ever went tits up.
    Had another game of BF3 multiplayer on 64 man server and noticed i didnt turn off 2XAA earlier, turning it off gives a huge fps increase @ 2560X14440, it doesnt drop below 60 fps now @ ultra with AA off and hovers about the 70-110 mark :)

• Advertisement

As the OP said any dead pixels would drive me mental.....it does not matter that you cannot see them just knowing they are there...GRRRRR. In fact as I type this I am curling my toes in my shoes thinking of YOUR dead pixels. It is the only thing keeping me from biting the bullet right now on this bad boy.

Thanx for the pix cully...now make a vid of BF3!

and upload it to youtube @ 1080p lol

TBH lads i only notice the dead pixels while browsing with a white background,hand on heart when gaming its simply impossible to see them.

Also jjust to make a correction, i only have 1 dead pixel, nothing a quick wipe of a soft cloth couldnt sort ;P

Part of the clarity/sharpness improvement from your U2412 will of course be just going from anti-glare to glossy. The DPI is higher but not massively so.

IPS coating tends to be all or nothing so they're either full glossy or they've got really heavy coating that drives a lot of people nuts. Its one of the biggest complaints about the U2412M, along with the IPS glow and backlight bleed.

TBH lads i only notice the dead pixels while browsing with a white background,hand on heart when gaming its simply impossible to see them.

Also jjust to make a correction, i only have 1 dead pixel, nothing a quick wipe of a soft cloth couldnt sort ;P

One pixel.....MIGHT ASWELL BE 100!!!!!! ARGGGGH :eek:

Congrats on the screen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

do you not realise just how small the pixels are on this monitor?

I have 2 or 3 on mine, I know cos I vaguely remember mentioning it when I got the monitor

ive been looking for the past couple of minutes trying to find them and I've had no luck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Im happy so far tea bag, i just hooked up my U2412M again for a direct comparison and i still say its a fantastic monitor,dont get me wrong there is a big difference between 2560X1440 and 1920X1200 but not as much as 1920X1080 and 1920X1200 which surprised me, yeah i grabbed my sons 1080 monitor and hooked it up too for the lols, i actually enjoyed going between the 3 of them to compare.
    Having spent the last hour or so comparing them , yes i agree going back to 1080 would be hard to take, the gap back to 1200 however is closer than i expected.
    TBH im not sure ill sell the U2412M afterall, 8 weeks old only i know but what id get for it would be worth more to hold onto it for peace of mind if this catleap ever went tits up.
    Had another game of BF3 multiplayer on 64 man server and noticed i didnt turn off 2XAA earlier, turning it off gives a huge fps increase @ 2560X14440, it doesnt drop below 60 fps now @ ultra with AA off and hovers about the 70-110 mark :)

Didn't your post back there say you didn't need AA?

"**AA is not needed for 1440p/1600p because of the amount of pixels, AA is needed at 1080p**"

everyone says that, and yet i can comfortably see the difference between the 2. BF3 looks smoother on anything up close.

If not the catleap what else is there, nothing I suppose in that price range.

• Advertisement

there are similar alternatives. identical screen but different makes. potailon, achieva shiminay, crossover etc but all come with the same dead pixel policy.

something a more expensive and better DSR ability is the DGM from OCUK, then the hazro 27" versions, but they get a bit expensive.

then in a whole other price bracket you get the DELL u27, an Asus and a BenQ something or other iirc. theyre all pretty much the same price the last time I checked (when I bought my catleap) but the Dell is pretty much the best of the bunch.

Advertisement