Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Trust me Wonda , your jaw would need to be scraped off the floor once you see one in the flesh.
    Ive read countless pages of over 900 on the overclock.net catleap owners club and one thing almost everyone says is its got to be seen to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It is very nice. Not quite as good as the 2410, but certainly excellent (at least by my standards) though I don't have Catleap to compare it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well it will be the 1st week or so in Jan again I order one......I will have a read through the forums on clockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    the SEi has a 20 dead pixel policy, so avoid like the plague.
    Phew, that's good to know, thanks.

Final question for you knowledgeable folks;
    Any thoughts on this YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q271 for €356 VS my original choice YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 for €307?

From what I can see the Q271 seems to use more power; 83 watts compared to 63 watts for Q270,
    also the Q271 has HDMI & DVI whereas the Q270 has just DVI (not bothered about this as I'll be using DVI only).
    Other eBay ads seem to suggest the Q271 is some kind of Retina LED screen,
    but personally I think that's just marketing talk and the Q271 is just Yamakasi Q270 with extra HDMI.

What do you think?
    Is the Q271 worth the extra €50 or should I stick with the Q270 for €307? (ex duty of course)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Personally, I'd almost pay for the HDMI one. I use HDMI for my PC anyway, and when I do pick up a console, would be nice to see gorgeous games like Journey etc. on an IPS!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the q271 seems like most of the "multi" versions of the various brands out there

I kinda wish I'd gotten one of them. they're meant to have significantly higher input lag but I can't see that being an issue unless you're among the best at a fast paced competitive fps. for normal users I doubt it'd be an issue at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you don't want hdmi, which I don't, then I think it's a waste of money. Sounds like that for you moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Moon54 wrote: »
    Phew, that's good to know, thanks.

Final question for you knowledgeable folks;
    Any thoughts on this YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q271 for €356 VS my original choice YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 for €307?

From what I can see the Q271 seems to use more power; 83 watts compared to 63 watts for Q270,
    also the Q271 has HDMI & DVI whereas the Q270 has just DVI (not bothered about this as I'll be using DVI only).
    Other eBay ads seem to suggest the Q271 is some kind of Retina LED screen,
    but personally I think that's just marketing talk and the Q271 is just Yamakasi Q270 with extra HDMI.

What do you think?
    Is the Q271 worth the extra €50 or should I stick with the Q270 for €307? (ex duty of course)

The panels in the Q270 and Q271 are the same, they are all LG panels. The Apple Cinema displays use these LG panels (they are deemed Retina displays, only because of their DPI, not resolution).

They might be from different batches and have slightly different quality because they are all A- minus panels (panels with minor flaws, usually unnoticeable to people without extensive testing equipment).

The Q271s have a scalar and thus more input lag. They also will not have any chance of containing a coveted 2B variant of the motherboard that allows 120hz refresh rate - this is a Q270 thing only. Although if you do source a motherboard you can gut a Q271 and use the panel from it to get 120hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Heretofore

A few Catleap woes to report!

So after getting my catleap i was getting the flashing green monitor light (no signal being recieved) and black screen. I purchased a new dual dvi cable (one linked to earlier on this thread) figuring the flimsy cable supplied was the problem, it wasnt, monitor now flashes green and ocassionally flashes red before going back to green. So far i have tried the cable in every port on the computer, reinstalled the cd gpu drivers (i had the most current AMD drivers installed). The power supply seems okay (solid green light), but will voltage test this later. I read that it might be worthwhile rolling my gpu drivers back to catalyst 11.8 as these definetly work with the Catleap, will try this tonight. After that my only option is to take the back off and check for loose cables. I am using windows 8 with a RoyalKing 7950. The monitor is being detected in device manager as Generic Non PnP Monitor and a quick scan for updating drivers tells me my driver is up to date.

Anybody had this issue and have any ideas? Im dreading hearing the word 'dud' so thread softly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Thanks Tar, Gotham and everybody else for their solid advice.

I just ordered this YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270, yippee :)

One thing I noticed was that when I went to pay for it in euros the PayPal price went up to €319...
    So I selected the "change currency" option at the PayPal checkout and opted to pay in Sterling for £250.

Hopefully I saved a few quid by letting the credit card do the currency conversion.
    Looking forward to getting this.

• Advertisement

Heretofore wrote: »
    A few Catleap woes to report!

So after getting my catleap i was getting the flashing green monitor light (no signal being recieved) and black screen. I purchased a new dual dvi cable (one linked to earlier on this thread) figuring the flimsy cable supplied was the problem, it wasnt, monitor now flashes green and ocassionally flashes red before going back to green. So far i have tried the cable in every port on the computer, reinstalled the cd gpu drivers (i had the most current AMD drivers installed). The power supply seems okay (solid green light), but will voltage test this later. I read that it might be worthwhile rolling my gpu drivers back to catalyst 11.8 as these definetly work with the Catleap, will try this tonight. After that my only option is to take the back off and check for loose cables. I am using windows 8 with a RoyalKing 7950. The monitor is being detected in device manager as Generic Non PnP Monitor and a quick scan for updating drivers tells me my driver is up to date.

Anybody had this issue and have any ideas? Im dreading hearing the word 'dud' so thread softly!

get in touch with the seller. it's so soon since you bought it there's a good chance they'll cover postage back and for the replacement, although you might get stung for customs again on the replacement I guess

if you take the back off, you screw any hope of them honouring whatever warranty they offer

had a quick google and one of the comments suggests it's an internal power supply issue on the monitor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYf5wYUJdCY

get in touch with the seller. it's so soon since you bought it there's a good chance they'll cover postage back and for the replacement, although you might get stung for customs again on the replacement I guess

if you take the back off, you screw any hope of them honouring whatever warranty they offer

had a quick google and one of the comments suggests it's an internal power supply issue on the monitor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYf5wYUJdCY

That video sums me up last night. Sent off an email to Green-sum so hopefully will hear back soon. I'll leave the back on just in case then.

Ok lads, after a full day of testing on top of a weeks use of the catleap ive decided to sell it on.
    Shock Horrror !! i know but read on.

Today i set up another PC beside mine to run my U2412M in direct comparison to the Catleap because the last few days while both monitors were set up beside eachother and while ive had time to do put many hours into it i found myself constantly going back to the dell to run games and general browsing.

Why? you may ask.

Well it was one of my biggest concerns going to 2560x1440 that being my eyesight :(
    I have poor eyesight and wear glasses for reading, tv, computer etc.
    My condition cannot be corrected via surgery unfortunately, here the catleaps higher res hurts me in a big way, the text is very small, too small for me infact for every day use.
    The early part of the week I started to get mild eyestrain after prolonged periods using the catleap but all is well since i went back to the dell.
    While the increase in res was fantastic initially , my head tells me the the wise thing to do would be to stick with the dell.
    Ive increased the font size on the catleap etc but it just looks wrong and way out of sync with the catleaps native res.
    I would keep it and possibly put up with it but the fact i have a perfectly great U2412M here which just seems to suit my needs more.
    It seems to have a better colours and its brightnesss/contrast range.
    As ive said the jump to 2560x1440 from 1920x1200 wasnt hugely noticeable once gaming away in the thick of the action to me.
    Both fantastic monitors, but alas my heart says stick with the higher res but my head says save myself the eyestrain and stick to the dell.
    Ive mulled over this decision the last 3-4 days or so and its with a heavy heart ive decided to let it go and try to recoup what i paid for it.

Im going to put it up for sale on adverts tonight [I have credit on my adverts account that expires tomorrow so i can use it for a the premier add] but ill leave this post for a couple of hours beforehand as i thought id give the guys on this thread first dibs.

If interested just pm me,but please, only genuine interest will be entertained guys.
    I dont wish to screw people and make a tidy profit, all i want is to recoup what i paid for it.

Sorry mods if this is out of order but i thought id offer to the lads here since its a hot topic and sought after piece of kit, id rather someone from this thread got it than some randomer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Very nice of you putting it up sure, doubt they would mind. Pm sent :)

Real pity about your eyes because I know how excited you were!

Have you tried increasing DPI or font size etc?

Eyestrain may be caused by PWM dimming. Modern LED-backlit monitors are often notorious for it.

The DPI difference on your Dell vs the Catleap is 94 vs 109 which is a pretty minor change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think the dell u2412m has some of the worst PWM so it's probably not that.

tuxy wrote: »
    I think the dell u2412m has some of the worst PWM so it's probably not that.
    Yeah but ive heard of some of the Korean monitors having even slower PWM. Its something of a crapshoot like most things with them.

Lads id hate to over estimate the eyestrain issue, trust me im hyper sensitive and trying to focus on smaller text over long periods just felt uncomfortable to me personally and as i say mild eyestrain.
    I had a friend here today helping and he didnt notice a thing and says im too fussy.
    My wife also wears glasses for tv,reading used it the other day for a few hours and didnt notice a thing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cristobal

Hey,

I've recently just finished a self-build and the final piece of the puzzle doesn't seem to fit...

The monitor is one of these Korean IPS monitors from ebay, not a catleap, but a very similar Qnix qz2700, but all I can get it to do is light up.

Both Windows and catalyst control panel can detect the monitor, the resolution is also correct (2560 x 1440) but still no luck. I can get the pc to work on my tv through the graphics card's hdmi port, its just this monitor thats causing problems. I'm also using the dual link dvi d cable that came with the monitor, mind you, the surge protector/adapter was faulty so maybe the cable was too. Additionally, the card I'm using is an XFX radeon hd 6950.

Maybe someone here has had a similar experience, but I'm completely stumped at this point, so really, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

you'll really have to try a different dual link dvi cable, see if that helps. I saw a couple of people mention they had issues with the one that was supplied with the screen

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Ok lads, after a full day of testing on top of a weeks use of the catleap ive decided to sell it on.
    Shock Horrror !! i know but read on.

Today i set up another PC beside mine to run my U2412M in direct comparison to the Catleap because the last few days while both monitors were set up beside eachother and while ive had time to do put many hours into it i found myself constantly going back to the dell to run games and general browsing.

Why? you may ask.

Well it was one of my biggest concerns going to 2560x1440 that being my eyesight :(
    I have poor eyesight and wear glasses for reading, tv, computer etc.
    My condition cannot be corrected via surgery unfortunately, here the catleaps higher res hurts me in a big way, the text is very small, too small for me infact for every day use.
    The early part of the week I started to get mild eyestrain after prolonged periods using the catleap but all is well since i went back to the dell.
    While the increase in res was fantastic initially , my head tells me the the wise thing to do would be to stick with the dell.
    Ive increased the font size on the catleap etc but it just looks wrong and way out of sync with the catleaps native res.
    I would keep it and possibly put up with it but the fact i have a perfectly great U2412M here which just seems to suit my needs more.
    It seems to have a better colours and its brightnesss/contrast range.
    As ive said the jump to 2560x1440 from 1920x1200 wasnt hugely noticeable once gaming away in the thick of the action to me.
    Both fantastic monitors, but alas my heart says stick with the higher res but my head says save myself the eyestrain and stick to the dell.
    Ive mulled over this decision the last 3-4 days or so and its with a heavy heart ive decided to let it go and try to recoup what i paid for it.

Im going to put it up for sale on adverts tonight [I have credit on my adverts account that expires tomorrow so i can use it for a the premier add] but ill leave this post for a couple of hours beforehand as i thought id give the guys on this thread first dibs.

If interested just pm me,but please, only genuine interest will be entertained guys.
    I dont wish to screw people and make a tidy profit, all i want is to recoup what i paid for it.

Sorry mods if this is out of order but i thought id offer to the lads here since its a hot topic and sought after piece of kit, id rather someone from this thread got it than some randomer.

That is a pisser Cully....especially since you really like the monitor. I will give you a €200 giftcard for specsavers for the 2nd hand monitor! ;)

you'll really have to try a different dual link dvi cable, see if that helps. I saw a couple of people mention they had issues with the one that was supplied with the screen

I've just come back from work with a new cable,(dual link dvi, just as is recommended) and that doesn't work either...

Has anyone got any ideas? I'm tearing my hair out after building this for the last 6 months to have it all come crashing down because of the one thing I took a "risk" on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Have you tried both DVI ports?

yep. One port does nothing, and one port causes the monitor to power/light up, but not show anything

cristobal wrote: »
    yep. One port does nothing, and one port causes the monitor to power/light up, but not show anything

It sounds exactly like the problem I'm getting. Tried everything, drivers, cables, ports etc. at this stage I figure its just faulty. Backlight flashes on and off so I'm thinking its a power problem.

Jaysus sorry for the hassle lads, glad I did not order one just yet...I too would be having a bitch fit. At least I have a good 24" monitor I deffo keeping as backup.

After playing 3d batman arkham city, **** the catleap for a while anyway :D amazing

Would the 120hz catleap work with nvidia vision 3d?

If I don't get Dcully's, what do people make of this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-Q270-SEi-White-27-LED-S-IPS-2560X1440-6ms-DVI-D-PC-Monitor-/140864588158?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20cc2f097e

If I can get 3d on the 120hz one, I could wait for another batch of them. 120hz is hard to leave...

This one looks quite cheap?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA-27-LED-2560x1440-WQHD-S-IPS-Quad-HD-Monitor-QH270-Lite-/150784137898?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item231b6f5aaa

EDIT: the seller seems to accept offers also, so could potentially get it for 300$ or less, as they have sold it for that low recently.

• Advertisement

Would the 120hz catleap work with nvidia vision 3d?

Unfortunately IPS response time is still far too slow for active 3D.

Advertisement