Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmm I'm gonna have a read about that thanks, might hold off even longer to see can they do it, or see if the hardware lads in work are bored. :p
    Now back to my massive monitor thread to read. It's either hold off or sell the shimian if that circuit board happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

They have been looking into that for ages now. How is it coming along?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh also the crossover is 354$ which is suppose to have a much better stand, in case anybody is interested.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I am now the proud owner of Dcully's Catleap.

Just hooked it up to my current PC and it works and it looks amazing!

Have a new PC ordered and on its way to go with it.

Another happy catleap owner! One dead green pixel which is a little annoying, but can only see it on certain backgrounds.

Just happy someone from this thread got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Bought the scratched Catleap from adverts for €160.
    It was actually a Crossover Gold LED which needs some work to the stand.

There was a lot of deep scratches which you could see while in general use but I could not see them while gaming. I deceided to remove most of them with a dremel and some Peek metal polisher.
    They are a very nice monitor I cant see any dead pixels but I have some black bleed at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

1. Get a lightly damp, warm cloth.
    2. Identify the exact area where the pixel is stuck.
    3. Turn off the monitor with the computer on (such that an image will display when you turn it back on).
    4. Apply a light amount of pressure with the damp cloth to the exact area the pixel is stuck.
    5. While pressure is being applied, turn on the monitor.
    6. Release pressure once you see an image appear on the screen.

Any one tried this? Bit scared to do it. The stuck pixel isn't too bad at all and don't want to damage anything else or make it worse!

And do I need to download a driver or anything? Couldn't see one on the net really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Any one tried this? Bit scared to do it. The stuck pixel isn't too bad at all and don't want to damage anything else or make it worse!

And do I need to download a driver or anything? Couldn't see one on the net really.

I think you would be better off trying the software 1st to get rid of the dead pixel....if that fails try something else.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I ordered my Crossover from bigclothcraft, I'm having some trouble trying to get them to ship supposedly more info is required but I've no idea how they've been trying to ask me for it.

how much? 350$ is the best I see.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

€335 when I ordered it, its the pivot version as well, it's my Christmas present from the Fiancé.

• Advertisement

Got a link? Nice pressie!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dcully wrote: »
    Just happy someone from this thread got it.

Why did you sell your one m8? sorry i was not in this thread for awile.

It was causing strain on his eyes, too many resolutions.

This is the one that I bought ebay, really looking forward to receiving it.

Looks nice! Stand having those features is quite good. I hate **** stands. I can't even raise mine.

That's why I went for the crossover instead of the catleap, the reviews say its got a much better quality stand than the others

Aye while gaming there wasnt a problem but for browsing and general pc stuff it caused some eye strain.
    Added to that the U2412 image quality and clarity was a tad better imho,thanks mainly to better contrast and brightness ranges.
    Obviously the catleap has the higher res but i found going from the Dells`1920X1200 to 1440 to be not much different in terms of in game gfx quality where as going from 1920X1080 was.
    It really boiled down to the U2412 suiting my needs more and i found it silly to have the catleap while i was leaning towards the Dell more and more while they were setup beside eachother.
    Also i missed the presets i have on the Dell,changing how things look on the fly and not having to open up nvidia control panel etc.
    Dont get me wrong the Catleap is fab but i just missed the U2412 while using the Catleap.
    The U2412`s colours,brightness/contrast range offered a more vibrant,clear image overall than the catleap to me and a few other people i asked to check it out.
    While gaming i found once i upped the brightness and contrast on the Dell the Catleap didnt look as good side by side,it was so much more dull even at max brightness [its really personal taste i suppose]
    The Catleaps screen real estate is amazing but the small text caused me issues, even when i upped the font size.
    Great monitor and value for what you get but for everyday use i felt the Dell suited me more plus id have no eye strain and I save a few quid too.
    I did love the Catleaps glossy screen thought even though i never liked them before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd never had a glossy screen before I got my potalion, i dont think I could use a matte screen now and be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Aye while gaming there wasnt a problem but for browsing and general pc stuff it caused some eye strain.
    Added to that the U2412 image quality and clarity was a tad better imho,thanks mainly to better contrast and brightness ranges.
    Obviously the catleap has the higher res but i found going from the Dells`1920X1200 to 1440 to be not much different in terms of in game gfx quality where as going from 1920X1080 was.
    It really boiled down to the U2412 suiting my needs more and i found it silly to have the catleap while i was leaning towards the Dell more and more while they were setup beside eachother.
    Also i missed the presets i have on the Dell,changing how things look on the fly and not having to open up nvidia control panel etc.
    Dont get me wrong the Catleap is fab but i just missed the U2412 while using the Catleap.
    The U2412`s colours,brightness/contrast range offered a more vibrant,clear image overall than the catleap to me and a few other people i asked to check it out.
    While gaming i found once i upped the brightness and contrast on the Dell the Catleap didnt look as good side by side,it was so much more dull even at max brightness [its really personal taste i suppose]
    The Catleaps screen real estate is amazing but the small text caused me issues, even when i upped the font size.
    Great monitor and value for what you get but for everyday use i felt the Dell suited me more plus id have no eye strain and I save a few quid too.
    I did love the Catleaps glossy screen thought even though i never liked them before.

really nice to get a clear opinion from someone who has both. these dells are really damn good monitors. ill wait with whole 1440p now. maybe some more affordable panels will come out and 1440p will be more mainstream thing.
    so far my good old 2312hm's work for me great! :) i would maybe get a third one, because old LG monitor looks just horrible when all of them side by side :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i'd never had a glossy screen before I got my potalion, i dont think I could use a matte screen now and be happy
    this. so much this.

seriously, the most understated point of these monitors.

everyone shies away from it when I mention the dullness of the u2312hm, but it's so true. im spoilt in that i don't have a window behind me, but glossy makes colour come alive. most people don't realise what they're missing cause everything is matte anyway. it's a shame what they're missing.

edit: to visualise it, put some Vaseline on your glasses. that's matte.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    this. so much this.

seriously, the most understated point of these monitors.

everyone shies away from it when I mention the dullness of the u2312hm, but it's so true. im spoilt in that i don't have a window behind me, but glossy makes colour come alive. most people don't realise what they're missing cause everything is matte anyway. it's a shame what they're missing.

edit: to visualise it, put some Vaseline on your glasses. that's matte.

I dunno, the colours,vibrancy on my U2412 is better than the catleap and its a matte finish.
    When both are turned off you can see the difference alright and the U2412 looks more dull but when powered on the U2412 looks more alive, a lot more vibrant.
    I wonder does the U2412 have a semi matte screen maybe? and the U23 full matte?

Just reading some more it seems the contrast ratio might be whats making the difference and why the U2312HM looks dull compared to the catleap but for me the Catleap looks dull compared to my U2412M.

According to TFT centrals reviews the U2312HM has an average contrast ratio of 848-1 where as the U2412M has 1139-1.

Im far from and expert so any of the above may well mean feck all lol but it might go some way in explaining why the U2312HM looks dull to the catleap for tea bag and why the catleap looks dull to me compared to my U2412M, jaysus im not good with figures and comparisons right in the middle of the xmas holidays :)

I dunno, the colours,vibrancy on my U2412 is better than the catleap and its a matte finish.
    When both are turned off you can see the difference alright and the U2412 looks more dull but when powered on the U2412 looks more alive, a lot more vibrant.
    I wonder does the U2412 have a semi matte screen maybe? and the U23 full matte?
    I've honestly never seen the u24, but I don't think it'd be very different.

not to doubt you, but are you sure the brightness settings were similar?

I just don't see how matte can compare to glossy, even on the same screen.

I've honestly never seen the u24, but I don't think it'd be very different.

not to doubt you, but are you sure the brightness settings were similar?

I just don't see how matte can compare to glossy, even on the same screen.

Yeah mate, i put brightness and contrast up full on the U24 and brightness on the catleap, the other buttons to left of brightness done nothing.
    Same settings for both monitors in nvidia control panel again as above purely for comparisons.

Just to be sure i got the missus, my son and two friends to check them out side by side and all agreed the U2412M was more alive than the catleap in terms of colours/vibrancy.

see above mate where i edited in some contrast ratio results from TFT central, could make a big difference? again im no expert :)

well if everyone agreed, I guess the u24 must be better than the u23.

I can tell a huge difference between 19*12 vs 25*14 though. maybe it's cause I work in Excel and word, but I'm much more preductive on the higher.

well if everyone agreed, I guess the u24 must be better than the u23.

I can tell a huge difference between 19*12 vs 25*14 though. maybe it's cause I work in Excel and word, but I'm much more preductive on the higher.
    Isn't the U23 1920x1080 native ? I'm not at PC at the moment so can't check.

I think it is yeah cos I use it in work and seem to recall that was the res.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

u23 is 1920x1080 u24 is 1920x1200.

u23 is one dpi higher :)

correct. I was more referring to 2560 vs 1920 though. the fact I can view 2 perfectly acceptable workbooks next to each other is of massive benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Pixel-Perfect-ACHIEVA-Shimian-QH270-Lite-Quad-HD-2560x1440-DVI-Free-shipping-/221120082842?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item337bc8b39a#ht_9047wt_1111

worth a punt @ €290?

hmmmmm, input appreciated. have read entire thread and done some googling but still undecided!

• Advertisement

Finally cleared the being asked questions stage, hopefully the monitor will ship in the next day or 2, was hoping to get this while i'm off work for Christmas but will probably be January now. Guess a trip to Finglas will be in order.

Advertisement