Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

jive wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Pixel-Perfect-ACHIEVA-Shimian-QH270-Lite-Quad-HD-2560x1440-DVI-Free-shipping-/221120082842?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item337bc8b39a#ht_9047wt_1111

worth a punt @ €290?

hmmmmm, input appreciated. have read entire thread and done some googling but still undecided!
    Posted a similar one recently for 350 dolla

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Posted a similar one recently for 350 dolla

got a link or is she gone?! Perfect pixel for €290 seems a good enough deal though. Tis harsh on the brain trawling through all the top rated sellers items!

Edit:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA-Shimian-QH270-Lite-27-LED-Quad-HD-DVI-2560x1440-16-9-6ms-PC-Monitor-/110833856200?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19ce366ec8 this one I see!

I think I'll pay the extra 25 or so for the perfect pixel thing. I'm just going to assume that the ones that aren't perfect pixel they sell on as the non-tested monitors. A few pixels are probably unnoticeable but for €25 I think I'll take the chance of getting a perfect monitor (unlikely but worth the squeeze i think)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

got a link or is she gone?! Perfect pixel for €290 seems a good enough deal though. Tis harsh on the brain trawling through all the top rated sellers items!

Edit:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA-Shimian-QH270-Lite-27-LED-Quad-HD-DVI-2560x1440-16-9-6ms-PC-Monitor-/110833856200?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19ce366ec8 this one I see!

I think I'll pay the extra 25 or so for the perfect pixel thing. I'm just going to assume that the ones that aren't perfect pixel they sell on as the non-tested monitors. A few pixels are probably unnoticeable but for €25 I think I'll take the chance of getting a perfect monitor (unlikely but worth the squeeze i think)

Dont quote me but i think someone mentioned in this thread or could be another forum that the pixel perfect thingy is a waste of money,i dont recall why however but just remember reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Dcully wrote: »
    Dont quote me but i think someone mentioned in this thread or could be another forum that the pixel perfect thingy is a waste of money,i dont recall why however but just remember reading it.
    20 stuck pixels is still classed as perfect. Or maybe it was 15.

Too many anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Edit:

AFAIK there is no difference, you can still get dead ones, better off with the cheaper 1/5 dead pixels policy, a lot of people get no dead ones anyway

• Advertisement

AFAIK there is no difference, you can still get dead ones, better off with the cheaper 1/5 dead pixels policy, a lot of people get no dead ones anyway

Cool I'll go for the cheaper one then. Thanks for the advice folks

I'll probably end up getting the same one, let me know how it goes. I emailed the seller, if 10 people buy together they give a discount, he is getting back to me on price. Probably can't organise that many but just seeing is there much off

Will do if I take the plunge. Will be another week yet though as I'll have to get the funds into paypal and I'm away over the next few days. If you get anywhere close to 10 give me a shout and I'll see if I can scrape a few more... 10 is some number to get for a discount though ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

from reading the reactions to this monitor I'm well and truly sold on one, 27 inches and amazing res I'll finally have a decent monitor again. I currently have a 10 year old Dell 1903FP @1280x1024 which is amazing in itself that it still works but was the best available at the time.

Some of you haven't had that many dead pixels but im worried my luck will be as it usually is and ill end up with the full amount of allowed dead pixels. Considering the screen has soo many pixels though, are the dead ones really noticeable to the naked eye?

Also the price seems to have steadily been on the rise since they were released has anyone got any recommendations of where to purchase?
    Its clear Big Cloth Craft and Green Sum are the most reliable but just looking on ebay there I see they have about 40 variants between them.
    To narrow it down;
    Don't want tempered Glass
    Don't mind speakers included or not as they wont be used,
    Don't want to plug my phone into the screen (MHL)
    Don't really need it to Pivot. (-P variants)
    Matte - have seen glossy screens in well lit rooms tend to relfect too much light and obstruct the screen
    So this leaves about 10 I'd say.

So out of Crossover, Catleap, Shimian, Qnix then.

Red-Cap Sells Shimian, seems to be the only one on offer that is Matte, also has No Dead-Pixel and €355 Here

BigCLoth Sells Crossover, is Glossy, has max 5 dead pixels, €279 Here

I'm tempted to go with the Crossover because of the apparent better build quality.
    Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

One thing to look at is the delivery charges some listings have the same monitor listed multiple times sometimes the delivery is included but the original price is more. When I ordered mine I ordered the slightly more expensive version but with free delivery. It worked out cheaper than the pay delivery separately version.

• Advertisement

platinums wrote: »
    from reading the reactions to this monitor I'm well and truly sold on one, 27 inches and amazing res I'll finally have a decent monitor again. I currently have a 10 year old Dell 1903FP @1280x1024 which is amazing in itself that it still works but was the best available at the time.

Some of you haven't had that many dead pixels but im worried my luck will be as it usually is and ill end up with the full amount of allowed dead pixels. Considering the screen has soo many pixels though, are the dead ones really noticeable to the naked eye?

Also the price seems to have steadily been on the rise since they were released has anyone got any recommendations of where to purchase?
    Its clear Big Cloth Craft and Green Sum are the most reliable but just looking on ebay there I see they have about 40 variants between them.
    To narrow it down;
    Don't want tempered Glass
    Don't mind speakers included or not as they wont be used,
    Don't want to plug my phone into the screen (MHL)
    Don't really need it to Pivot. (-P variants)
    Matte - have seen glossy screens in well lit rooms tend to relfect too much light and obstruct the screen
    So this leaves about 10 I'd say.

So out of Crossover, Catleap, Shimian, Qnix then.

Red-Cap Sells Shimian, seems to be the only one on offer that is Matte, also has No Dead-Pixel and €355 Here

BigCLoth Sells Crossover, is Glossy, has max 5 dead pixels, €279 Here

I'm tempted to go with the Crossover because of the apparent better build quality.
    Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA-Shimian-QH270-Lite-27-LED-Quad-HD-DVI-2560x1440-16-9-6ms-PC-Monitor-/110833856200?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19ce366ec8

about 265E on xe.com also that crossover has 35$ shipping, 26 euro more.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Yeah Red-Cap seems to allow up to 5 dead pix in the centre area, where as the other see's 1 in the dead center as a fault.

Its hard to choose cause i suppose it comes down to pot luck in the end from all the sellers whether or not you get a dead pixel.

Bulk buy you say? Would that reduce the ebay fee cost of 10% up to a maximum of €95.00. more than 3 would have to be bought to see a saving. I'd say customs would definitely hit you for a fee buying in this manner.

I'd be interested though, moneys there just hesitant to buy.

Here are the list of FOB prices for a bulk order of 10+

Don't know the difference in some monitors but the 269.7 achieva and 264 crossover are pretty sweet deals.
    Also those 30 inch IPS monitors for 441$.

9g9pv.png?1

Cutsoms would be harsh. Be about 280E per crossover monitor if hit by customs for them all.
    If you somehow managed to avoid that it's 190E each, doesn't seem like you'd save enough for a bulk order if hit by customs. Maybe on the 30 Inch ones but no way 10 people are gonna buy those.

Total customs value: €1990.65
    - Duty: €278.69
    - VAT: €521.95
    Total import duty & taxes due: €800.64
    Total landed cost: €2791.29

Still somebody could buy them in and sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what does FOB stand for?

there is no way 10 monitors slip through customs... I don't know of anyone getting away at all in recent times?

what you could do is arrange to pay in 2 parts. customs always asks for your PayPal receipt, so you send them a low value one (say €100 per monitor)

I have no problem low balling customs on this. customs is meant to be there to protect the Irish economy, or essentially give you more of an incentive to buy locally, however, these monitors cannot be bought here at any price, so they should be customs exempt.

basically it's that they pay for shipment etc, i'd have to ask in more detail as it varies around the world and sometimes i think they transfer the goods rights to you at shipment, so faults would be on you. But I'm sue their same return policy would apply in this case. I think they just mean including shipment.

Yeah that receipt idea would be good. the customs is quite excessive. Great deal with lower customs. I'd say there would be no problem selling them even if somebody just bought 10 themselves but who would do this madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Customs can be quite trusting of PP receipts....thats all I'll say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've been circling around this like a vulture and I reckon it's about time I swoop.

I have no experience with eBay. Do I need paypal? One option is doing it through my dad. I think he has a paypal account.

I'm sold on the general concept but I've seen a few different brands bandied about. Which is the best make/model and which is the best seller?

Just to be clear, does it come with the correct DVI cable? Will the power lead off any other monitor work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

My Yamakasi Q270 finally arrived today!

First impressions are, wow, awesome colours and huge screen real estate.

Here is a side-by-side photo of my old BenQ Q2400W and the Yamakasi.

Good news too, I've Zero dead pixels. I've done the Pixel Check on the doihaveadeadpixel.com website a few times and all looks good.

Also, the monitor worked perfect with my Sapphire 5850 graphics card, despite all the eBay ads saying it isn't compatible.
    The supplied Dual-Link DVI lead is a bit short for my taste (I'm guessing it's 1.5m), but I can get a longer one sometime later, no biggy.

There is some back-light bleed which is noticable at the corners, especially on the highest brightness setting (black screen, in a dark room),

234855.JPG

...but gets much reduced as you take the brightness down a bit.

234856.JPG

Anyway, during normal usage I've never noticed it or worried about it.
    I just left the brightness down a few notches from the max setting and it's just right.

Now onto the stand. It's shaky, yes I knew that when I was buying it.
    But it is bad.
    Luckily for me it's not an issue as I've it propped against an attic roof, but I'm going to have Vesa mount this someday.

Photos really look great on this monitor and the extra screen real estate is welcome,
    ....notice the Recycle Bin in the pic below.... it used to be on the bottom right on my BenQ monitor. Overall Photos and Text are sharp and readable.

234863.JPG

A Good Tip: If you find browser text too small, a good tip is to hold down Control and use the mouse scroll wheel, to zoom in or out, until you find a happy medium. ( Control +/- works as well)

I just tried a bit of gaming with the recently purchased Dead Island on the 2560x1440 resolution, and it looked great, super-detailed.
    I can only imagine what it would be like in a good game, lol, or a game like Skyrim with the HD texture pack etc.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the purchase. :D
    No word about import duty cost yet. It was FedEx'ed from Korea and NightLine delivered it today,
    but I guess I can expect an invoice in the door at some stage, hopefully not too big a bill.

Thanks to all the fellow Boardsies for all the advice & info.

• Advertisement

Think I'm going to make the purchase later today, any advice regarding customs or anything else that I should consider before payment?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA-Shimian-QH270-Lite-27-LED-Quad-HD-DVI-2560x1440-16-9-6ms-PC-Monitor-/110833856200?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19ce366ec8
    Seems to be the best deal about atm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ask them to ensure that when they mark the value they include the shipping cost as well. If they only place the item value then customs will estimate a shipping cost and charge you vat on the cost.

They seem to use estimates based on using a sherpa to personally carry it half way around the world for you. (I.e. they massively overcharge)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Moon54 wrote: »
    Now onto the stand. It's shaky, yes I knew that when I was buying it.
    But it is bad.
    Luckily for me it's not an issue as I've it propped against an attic roof, but I'm going to have Vesa mount this someday.

A flatscreen strap might keep it safe in the meantime ?

You could screw it to the roof ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babydan-Anti-Tip-TV-Strap/dp/B00442IDEK

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Still sitting on the bench like a big wuss I am....but the end is nigh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Moon54, which one did you buy? was it a perfect pixel model or anything?

don't forget to add yourself to the google doc in the OP.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Still sitting on the bench like a big wuss I am....but the end is nigh.....

Did you say you had a U2412M?
    If so id stick with that tbh.
    Much better colours,vibrancy,contrast and brightness than the catleap not to mention a lot more features and the difference between 1200 and 1440 isnt as huge as you might think.
    Going from 1080 to 1440 is quite big but i found going from 1200 to 1440 not so.
    For sure if you want a bargain 1440 monitor its a great monitor but for gaming in particular the games were just so much more alive on the Dell thanks to its better contrast and brightness range and faster response time and less input lag [although after 20 mins on the catleap and adjusting to the difference all was well].
    The catleaps screen real estate is fecking awesome,it really is a great monitor for the price but for me everything was just so dull compared to the U2412M again only really noticeable side by side.
    It seemed pointless to keep the catleap when the U24 offered so much and i found myself using it more than the catleap when set up together.
    The catleap etc are lovely if you want 1440 for a decent price but from my experience atleast the catleap i had was just too dull compared to the U24.
    Some people dont mind this and maybe prefer it this way but me personally i love high contrast/brightness and vivid colours above anything else.

If you already have a good 1200 IPS it might be wise to hold on to your cash or maybe save some more and get the Dell U27 1440 or Asus 1440 if you really want to go with 1440.

As always it boils down to personal taste.

If your hell bent on a cheap 1440 id suggest one of the others as the catleaps stand is really terrible although i stopped the wobble and shaking when i propped it beside the U24 :)

Thing that appeals to me is that it is 27 inches (main thing) and the resolution. The colours are going to be fantastic on either monitor so it doesn't matter to me. Having seen the apple panel I thought it was brilliant personally.

I'd stay away from the more expensive dell U27 with it's antiglare destroying the image.

Catleaps are dearer than the others, have a worse stand and have to dismantle it to get to the VESA mount...I'd get a crossover or a shimian, unless the custom 120hz pcb becomes anything more than a pipe dream.

• Advertisement

Ahh decisions decisions. It's the weekend anyway so I have time to think about it a bit more, have the funds in paypal ready for action though :~D Serious value in the shimian's atm though, depending on customs too I guess

Advertisement