Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dcully wrote: »
    Did you say you had a U2412M?
    If so id stick with that tbh.
    Much better colours,vibrancy,contrast and brightness than the catleap not to mention a lot more features and the difference between 1200 and 1440 isnt as huge as you might think.
    Going from 1080 to 1440 is quite big but i found going from 1200 to 1440 not so.
    For sure if you want a bargain 1440 monitor its a great monitor but for gaming in particular the games were just so much more alive on the Dell thanks to its better contrast and brightness range and faster response time and less input lag [although after 20 mins on the catleap and adjusting to the difference all was well].
    The catleaps screen real estate is fecking awesome,it really is a great monitor for the price but for me everything was just so dull compared to the U2412M again only really noticeable side by side.
    It seemed pointless to keep the catleap when the U24 offered so much and i found myself using it more than the catleap when set up together.
    The catleap etc are lovely if you want 1440 for a decent price but from my experience atleast the catleap i had was just too dull compared to the U24.
    Some people dont mind this and maybe prefer it this way but me personally i love high contrast/brightness and vivid colours above anything else.

If you already have a good 1200 IPS it might be wise to hold on to your cash or maybe save some more and get the Dell U27 1440 or Asus 1440 if you really want to go with 1440.

As always it boils down to personal taste.

If your hell bent on a cheap 1440 id suggest one of the others as the catleaps stand is really terrible although i stopped the wobble and shaking when i propped it beside the U24 :)

No Cully I have the BenQ 24" was the business at the time...still does a great job TBH

http://http://www.trustedreviews.com/BenQ-FP241W-24in-Widescreen-Monitor_Monitor_review

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

Dcully wrote: »
    the difference between 1200 and 1440 isnt as huge as you might think.
    Going from 1080 to 1440 is quite big but i found going from 1200 to 1440 not so.

That really doesn't add up though.

1920*1080 vs 1920*1200 =

A gain of 120 pixels on the Y axis. (so 120*1920=230,400 more pixels. (11%)

1920*1200 vs 2560*1440=

A gain of 640 pixels in width on the X-Axis and 240 pixels in height on the Y-Axis.

That is 1,382,400 extra pixels or 60% more.

Now to say that an increase in resolution from 1080 to 1200 is big at an 11% increase and 1200 to 1440 is not so at a 60% increase is a bit ridiculous and misleading.

Also in relation to the increase in size from the 24" to 27". The PPI is still a lot better at 108.79 vs 94.34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Thanks Tar, yeah that was the one I got.
    It had a 5 dead pixel maximum I believe.

No word yet on what the customs duty will be, it was FedEx'ed from Korea,
    so I believe FedEx will probably send out an invoice for it.

I'd agree with Dcully, the screen is wonderful... but the stand is bad,
    it might be a deal breaker for some people.
    In fairness the Catleap is not too bad on a solid table maybe on a solid floor,
    but in room with wooden rafters under the floor, the screen can jiggy around slightly when walking around the room.

If anyone is worried maybe check out the Achieva Shimian which seem to be
    a good equivalent to the Yamakasi Catleaps ("It has an LG IPS LCD panel found in 27" iMacs");
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

God Father wrote: »
    That really doesn't add up though.

1920*1080 vs 1920*1200 =

A gain of 120 pixels on the Y axis. (so 120*1920=230,400 more pixels. (11%)

1920*1200 vs 2560*1440=

A gain of 640 pixels in width on the X-Axis and 240 pixels in height on the Y-Axis.

That is 1,382,400 extra pixels or 60% more.

Now to say that an increase in resolution from 1080 to 1200 is big at an 11% increase and 1200 to 1440 is not so at a 60% increase is a bit ridiculous and misleading.

Also in relation to the increase in size from the 24" to 27". The PPI is still a lot better at 108.79 vs 94.34

In real world terms and actual ingame the difference is minute.
    Also the higher you go on the res scale the difference gets smaller infact, for example theres feck all to the naked eye between 1440 and 1600 while gaming.

I could see little to no difference while gaming between 1200 and 1440 but the difference in image quality,colours,contrast and brightness etc was very big between the two and ultimately was what made games look better to me on the U2412M.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

just saw this - LG being fined for LCD price Fixing.
    LG being the makers of these fine 2560 panels hopefully this will shake up the price of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

56 Million between the 6, pfft, chump change to Samsung alone.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Started emailing a few sellers, got a few replies from them, they are situated very close to me, but I never followed up with them. Thinking I might do so now though. I'm just ansy about ending up buying the wrong seller and product to test.

So, Catleaps are out, Crossovers and Shimians in? Who are the best sellers pixel guarantee and stand wise? If I could find one with a HDMI in that would be great too. Cheapest sellers possible would also be great. :) Then I can start talking to them about buying in bulk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cs[at]astrobileDOTcom is the person who emailed me the price list above for bulk to ireland, maybe talk to them. His name is kevin and I saw that email on a few seller pages. Anyway, send me a cheap monitor :P

any shimian or crossover is fine. Sellers are greensum, bigclothcraft etc I just look at the amount sold on ebay and the reviews of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Was in the Apple store Section at Arnots earlier, spotted a 27" iMac so hovered around for ten minutes waiting for the couple on it to move along.
    Eventually i got a look at it, first thoughts are holy bat**** tits its BIG.

Maybe too big though, if its going to be on a desk around 3 feet in front of my face.
    On the plus side of this though, I can imagine being totally immersed in what ever game I play on it what with not seeing the edges of the screen.

Does anyone else have it at around 2/3/4 feet in front of them and find it too close?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

platinums wrote: »
    Was in the Apple store Section at Arnots earlier, spotted a 27" iMac so hovered around for ten minutes waiting for the couple on it to move along.

Maybe too big though, if its going to be on a desk around 3 feet in front of my face.
    On the plus side of this though, I can imagine being totally immersed in what ever game I play on it what with not seeing the edges of the screen.

Does anyone else have it at around 2/3/4 feet in front of them and find it too close?

Not a catleap/etc, but I've my new Syncmaster S27A650 about 2-3ft infront of me, and yeah, it is a bit "holy **** big" at first. Does actually require a bit of effort to look around the screen now :D But it is totally usable day to day, no issues at all IMO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nah it wouldn't be too big at all imo, I sit about a foot from my 23 inch also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mine's about 2 feet from my face and it's fine, you get used to it very quickly

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I think I have a 32" T.V. on my desk at the mo. Could be 27" though. I forget. It is big alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Mine is arms length away (maybe 3ish feet) I do find on MMOs I tent to bunch everything to one side. On FPS you actually WANT the screen bigger than you can see for your peripheral vision. Most other apps again bigger is better - I love being able to have two side by side pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I use my 24 incher about six inches from my face, depending on what I'm doing. I very rarely use maximised windows though, only if I'm scrolling through a thread with really big pictures or using 3DS Max, Maya, or Photoshop, that's about it. The rest of the time I'm using a bunch of windows and moving them around, sometimes using two side by side. I don't find it too big (I'm looking into 27" options now).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Guys, if I were to wall mount my Potalion, what sort of VESA mount should I be using? There's a lot to choose from on Amazon, and it's confusing me. Is it just a case of getting the cheapest? Or is there a reason to spend more?

If anyone here has theirs wall mounted, I'd like to hear your opinions on it :).

Was looking at that monitor today, pretty sweet size and resolution isn't it, great colours/clarity. nomnomnom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Eboggles wrote: »
    Guys, if I were to wall mount my Potalion, what sort of VESA mount should I be using? There's a lot to choose from on Amazon, and it's confusing me. Is it just a case of getting the cheapest? Or is there a reason to spend more?

You need to get the correct size, which depends on where the mount points on the display are spaced - most 24" and 27" monitors will be using 100x100(mm) for example, but you can have other types like 75x75 for example.

Not sure about the Potalion, I just got a DELL U2713HM and it's got 100x100 mounts. I'm using Ergotron LX arms for both my monitors and they are amazing but expensive. If Ergotron has cheaper mounts, they might be worth looking into. Make sure you know what size your Potalion is using for the mounts though, a quick Google shows that some of these 27" Korean monitors are using 75x75 instead. You could always just measure the distance since you already have the monitor.

I just got my FedEx import duty invoice in the door, the invoice is for €60
    I've updated the Catleap Club Boards spreadsheet with the info;
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuTDzkLDoLrsdFdvNU8xZVl1MnZsQnA5RjFOQzBiT3c#gid=0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

60?!!?!

still a decent price for the screen but my god

• Advertisement

Couple of people have been higher than that! 80e...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

couple of people dont pay at all and stop receiving threats ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Couple of people have been higher than that! 80e...

Yep but it was still worth it :pac:
    Tea_Bag wrote: »
    couple of people dont pay at all and stop receiving threats ;)

some of us only got one notice and they forgot. i got what 3 fedex threats, 2 months of collection agency threats and a legal threat.

Buy monitor, move house. got ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

buy monitor under false name. job done.

Lol, yeah I meant to say I was happy with the €60 duty, though.
    Total cost for me was €367 including duty, but well worth it, imo.

Also, I just wall mounted my Catleap tonight.:D
    I used the Aldi Dual-Arm Wall Bracket for €25, and it's pretty solid.
    What's great is that the keyboard can get stored away under the monitor now, which is neat.

235655.JPG

One thing to watch though if you are Vesa mounting it,
    is to use about 3 or 4 extra washers at each of the back vesa mount points.
    That's to make sure the screws doesn't go too far and possibly
    damage an electronic board on the back of the monitor,
    see pic below;

235657.JPG

Very Nice job moon...very nice indeed. Looks purdy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Finally tidied the desk up enough for a picture of the crossover in it's new home.

235978.jpg

• Advertisement

Very nice...love the 70's disco theme.

Advertisement