Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I got a text from 'DHLExpress' regarding customs charges. It has sent me a number to ring and that i can pay by debit or credit card. Is this normal practice? It price of the customs charge on the monitor (52). Just want to check prior to giving any bank details over the phone! Thought some people on here may have experienced this, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i and a few others got letters..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think I got one too but I just paid the delivery driver iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

OMG! Just had a freak out because mine had developed tow dead pixels - turns out its just boards have put two white dots on either side of the screen. That's it I'm officially spending too much time on boards.

... what

where are the dots

• Advertisement

... what

where are the dots

Full screen either side of the advert banner (I use the dark scheme)

so do I... dont see anything

well i dont see adverts either.. thats probably why

236301.jpg

someone on boards is clearly jealous of our 1440p screens and is just acting the bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Heretofore

jive wrote: »
    I got a text from 'DHLExpress' regarding customs charges. It has sent me a number to ring and that i can pay by debit or credit card. Is this normal practice? It price of the customs charge on the monitor (52). Just want to check prior to giving any bank details over the phone! Thought some people on here may have experienced this, thanks.

This is normal Jive, i paid via phone and everything was okay, you will recieve an invoice for it in the post in a weeks time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Monitor is here :D - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA-Shimian-QH270-Lite-27-LED-Quad-HD-DVI-2560x1440-16-9-6ms-PC-Monitor-/110833856200?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19ce366ec8

Was charged €52 for customs also, so the total came to €325. I paid DHL over the phone as well, thanks for the advice; I was just skeptical due to only receiving a text and no other notification so wanted to confirm before giving out any details over the phone.

Monitor is a beaut. There is one dead pixel along the right hand side (at least I think it's dead, it's just a greyish dot) where the scroll bar is on chrome. I can see it on Chrome's white background but on coloured backgrounds it's not evident at all. Obviously I would have liked no dead pixels but I'll certainly take just one, especially when it's only on the very edge of the screen. Also, I don't appear to have any backlight bleed so I'm looking at this purchase as a win despite the dead pixel haha.

Happy out, it was delivered in 4 days (including the weekend, shipment seemed to go ahead as normal over the weekend judging by tracking anyway) also which is nice. Only got to see the monitor today as I was away.

If anyone has any questions/wants pics just ask.

I do have one question, I'm using the lead from a PSP charger as it's the only plug in the house that'll fit the adapter that came with the monitor, I'm assuming this is alright? It says 250V and 6A on the plug, the korean plug (not adapter to monitor) says 250V & 16A. Seems to be working alright but just said I'd ask haha

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Finally got my Catleap. Awesome monitor.
    Quick question for all the catleap veterans out there.
    The monitor only comes on when the pc finally boots into windows. I can't see any p.o.s.t information. Is this normal?

I'm running a HD5970 even though the blurb says the monitor doesn't work with that card. Would that be the problem?

Thanks

yeah the monitor not coming on until just before or at windows load is normal and iirc it said my 5850 wouldnt work with the monitor either, but it worked fine (until I tried to play the witcher 2 at 2560x1440p... jesus christ)

I get POST info

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

GarH wrote: »
    Finally got my Catleap. Awesome monitor.
    Quick question for all the catleap veterans out there.
    The monitor only comes on when the pc finally boots into windows. I can't see any p.o.s.t information. Is this normal?

I'm running a HD5970 even though the blurb says the monitor doesn't work with that card. Would that be the problem?

Thanks

Nah, the "problem" is more than likely somewhere in the rest of your build. Certain motherboard manufacturers have quickboot technology, such as ASrock. Also booting from an SSD would speed up boot times. Combine either/both of those with a monitor that's a little bit slow to respond initially, and it's normal.

Hey all. Got my replacement Catleap from Greensum today! And guess what? More issues! At least I get a pic on this one. I'm getting a red grainy screen with the cable supplied, and no picture at all with a second cable I have (this too is cheap). Any ideas?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Try a decent dual dvi cable?

Yeah am gonna get one tomorrow in the hope that thats the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

236301.jpg
    post 24

If you're wondering what they were/are.

Got the new cable and still no go, only getting a black screen with flashing coloured lines now. Also got a dvi-d to hdmi cable to check to see if the dvi-d port on the graphics card is faulty, ran it to my tv and it works just fine so that rules out a faulty gpu. Set it up with dual screen last night using the catleap as a second monitor, i was getting a terribly lined and bouncing screen, dont seem to get any picture when using the catleap solo. What are the odds of getting two faulty monitors from Greensum?

Anybody got any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Heretofore wrote: »
    Got the new cable and still no go, only getting a black screen with flashing coloured lines now. Also got a dvi-d to hdmi cable to check to see if the dvi-d port on the graphics card is faulty, ran it to my tv and it works just fine so that rules out a faulty gpu. Set it up with dual screen last night using the catleap as a second monitor, i was getting a terribly lined and bouncing screen, dont seem to get any picture when using the catleap solo. What are the odds of getting two faulty monitors from Greensum?

Anybody got any ideas??

This is eerily similar to a friend of mine who got one last year but had to send it back, in total it took him 12 weeks and a lot of hassle after ordering the first one to receiving a working one which wasnt perfect, had 2 dead pixels but he was so sick of waiting he kept it.
    It was his issue that encouraged me not to buy one so i bought a Dell ultrasharp U2412M instead but the curiousity didnt leave me and i just had to buy one to see for myself which i did but after the initial delight of everything working and only one tiny dead pixel i was very disappointed when i put it side by side to the Dell, the Dell blows it out of the water.
    I sold my Catleap soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Dcully wrote: »
    This is eerily similar to a friend of mine who got one last year but had to send it back, in total it took him 12 weeks and a lot of hassle after ordering the first one to receiving a working one which wasnt perfect, had 2 dead pixels but he was so sick of waiting he kept it.
    It was his issue that encouraged me not to buy one so i bought a Dell ultrasharp U2412M instead but the curiousity didnt leave me and i just had to buy one to see for myself which i did but after the initial delight of everything working and only one tiny dead pixel i was very disappointed when i put it side by side to the Dell, the Dell blows it out of the water.
    I sold my Catleap soon after.
    Yeah, I've heard this before in another forum. They're not great. I think i'll go with an ultrasharp or an Asus PB278Q 27.

Okay tried the Catleap on a mates computer and it works fine (and looks good) so its not the monitor, ill open a new thread seeing as its not a catleap issue any more, if anybody has any advice please comment!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Heretofore wrote: »
    Okay tried the Catleap on a mates computer and it works fine (and looks good) so its not the monitor, ill open a new thread seeing as its not a catleap issue any more, if anybody has any advice please comment!

Ah nice one man, glad your getting somewhere.

Dcully wrote: »
    Ah nice one man, glad your getting somewhere.

Thanks.
    More progress made, scrutinised the pins on the gpu, its seems on is slightly damaged so i reckon thats my problem. Email sent to Hardwareversand so i'll see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

i chickened out of the Catleap ppurchase. Bought a iilyama X2485WS. 1920x1200 and can say that im quite pleased with it.
    Having a 24" in front of me I now really dont see the need (personally) for 27 inches or that res, I cant imagine how tiny icons and text would have been but I this this res is good enough for me.

Paid €225 ex vat and no risk involved.
    I guess Catleaps just aren't for everyone, for me it was mainly the risk that put me off.

Ill take a look at them again next year, hopefully there will be better more reliable options.
    I still have a sinking feeling that a good percentage of these Catleaps sold this year will be faulty next, but that's just me qualifying my latest purchase. Still you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Your S Korean bulk buy contact is in a bit of Boards bother.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056860099

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

I had a very similar problem using leshcats ati driver. To fix turn off windows aero. Give it a shot and you'll know how if its the same driver issue

EDIT - WRONG QUOTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Are Achieva Shimians any good?
    I noticed that only 1 person on the owners spreadsheet bought one.

They're significantly cheaper than the Catleaps. The cheapest one is €100 less (260 vs 360 for the catleap).

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/green-sum/m.html

Advertisement