Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah they are fine. No worse than the catleap. I'd get one of them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Its jsut supply and demand, mre poeple bought catleaps, it has a **** stand. Sure loads of those monitors were 300$ or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Gbear wrote: »

I went for a Shimian, didn't regret it, such a lovely screen :)

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I went for a Shimian, didn't regret it, such a lovely screen :)

Ordered it yesterday!:)

Hopefully I'll get it by monday week.

Just in time for Crysis 3. Hopefully no major problems with bleed or anything.

I'll report back when I get it. salute.gif

• Advertisement

Hoping someone can help me with this...

I love my Shimian 27" so much, I want to get one for work, to go with my laptop. But, laptop only has hdmi out (or USB 3.0 to DisplayPort).

So, has anyone here managed to get full res into a hdmi port on one of these babies? Or into a displayport? I see newer models popping up on Greensum that have HDMI 1.4 and/or DisplayPort and are explicitly saying they will do full res into those ports. Anyone tried it? Anyone even bought one of those but using the DVI as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Would a HDMI-DVI adapter not work?

Serephucus wrote: »
    Would a HDMI-DVI adapter not work?

The general feeling is that passive adapters like that don't work (although I suspect that is mainly because the particular HDMI just isn't capable of pushing out the required res). They are so cheap though I might just get one to try it :D

Edit - Ordered one, looks like hdmi is only outputting single link (even if the adapter has a physical dual link connection). But, also looks like there is a possibility of getting full res (at reduced refresh rate) from hdmi, with a bit of jimmying of the graphics driver. All will be revealed when i get the adapter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lads anyone importing and selling these in Ireland? Looking for a 27" monitor but from what I have read any of the 1080p ones won't look sharp for typing/reading text etc? I would love to import one but seems to be some genuine risk of it being faulty dead/stuck pixels etc. Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Something I just watched that looks pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBndfueyaxY

Yamakashi Leonidas - 30" 2560x1600 matte Catleap, with a good stand.

There's also the Sparta, which is closer to a 30" Catleap. Still 2560x1600, but glossy, and not as good of a stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nice over €500 on ebay though which is still a bargain for what it is but not sure if it's worth almost double the price of a 27". I might go for a 27" soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

ok further reading has prompted me to go join the club and order 1 of these, just a couple of questions

1) Not too pushed on overclocking the monitor or if it's catleap or Shimian's although I'd like reliability and decent build quality any recommendations?
    2) Pixel Perfect, had a thing about dead or stuck pixels so I will pay extra for a perfect screen can someone recommend an ebayer that does actually check these before sending out?
    3) Watching some of the youtube videos some guys were saying that these don't work well with the ATI/AMD cards on the dual dvi and recommend Nvidia, is this rubbish? also someone recommend a midrange card to run this, not doing any heavy gaming, just a card that can handle these screens.
    4) Returns has anyone had to return these? What's the process/cheapest way to send them back and estimated cost?

Any help and advice appreciated

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 54,183 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Serephucus wrote: »
    Something I just watched that looks pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBndfueyaxY

Yamakashi Leonidas - 30" 2560x1600 matte Catleap, with a good stand.

There's also the Sparta, which is closer to a 30" Catleap. Still 2560x1600, but glossy, and not as good of a stand.

which one is better?

The Leonidas, but it's about $150-200 more expensive.

€394 for the Sparta

€516 for the Leonidas

Would the customs be more for them since they are dearer or customs price is the same for everything?

You could end up having to pay more if customs hold them up and yes it would be more. 23% is the Irish vat rate.

BloodBath wrote: »
    You could end up having to pay more if customs hold them up and yes it would be more. 23% is the Irish vat rate.
    516 one

vat could be 115 euro if my calculations are right

ouch

Got my Shimian last week - my internet crapped out so I'm only able to get back onto boards now.
    Up next is the OC forum.

The screen is a thing of beauty. Sleeping dogs looks glorious in 1440p and AA turned off. So smooth.
    I let out a squeeing noise usually reserved for pictures of cute baby animals the first time I turned it on.

Crysis 3 beckons.

I really want 1 of these now. Did you get stung by customs?

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    I really want 1 of these now. Did you get stung by customs?

55 quid.

Still, it was only 270 overall so a good deal and I'm pretty happy.

55 quid.

Still, it was only 270 overall so a good deal and I'm pretty happy.
    Was it not 270 plus 55?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Crysis 3 beckons.

Would like to hear how people get on with crysis 3 @ 1440

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭alex1997123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No bad value you have to pay duty on it.
    You can get a dell for cheaper, same res and size.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭alex1997123

tuxy wrote: »

No bad value you have to pay duty on it.
    You can get a dell for cheaper, same res and size.

Alright good to know, Thanks

Was it not 270 plus 55?

Yeah. That's what I said you idiot.

Gawd!

:pac:

Crysis 3 looks seriously amazing. I'm getting a solid enough framerate with only a gentle overclock on my HD7950.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

lads has the price of the catleap shot up a bit?? ... half looking in to getting a second one

They did yeah, I'm holding out til I get one of these kinda monitors second hand for like 200 some time.

• Advertisement

The Sparta went up by over €100 :S

Advertisement