Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'm looking to get a monitor with the new build and I was looking at the ASUS PB278Q.

I know its more expensive inch per inch (550ish) than these monitors but I'd be worried about getting the screen and having dead pixels etc and have to send it back over.

Is there one seller that has really high feedback etc that may tempt me?

Also liking the look of the 30" ..mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

There's also Dell's U2713HM to consider, very similar to the ASUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Not that it's terribly relevant but I think that the 55 quid extra I had to pay was VAT as opposed to import duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You can pay for pixel perfect versions of the monitors.

Almost 30k sales, 99.4% positive feedback. Free delivery. 0 dead pixels. €460

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PerfectPixer-30-Yamakasi-300-Sparta-Multi-HDMI-1-4a-2560x1600-S-IPS-Monitor-/130857761790?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item1e77bafbfe#ht_22661wt_959

You are covered by paypal insurance anyway if the product isn't as advertised. E-bay shopping is about as safe as it gets.

Expect to get stung by customs for maybe an extra €100.

Serephucus wrote: »
    There's also Dell's U2713HM to consider, very similar to the ASUS.
    Its been a while since I looked at both to be honest, is the Dell the better one? I've an idea on monitors but im no guru on them
    BloodBath wrote: »
    You can pay for pixel perfect versions of the monitors.

Almost 30k sales, 99.4% positive feedback. Free delivery. 0 dead pixels. €460

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PerfectPixer-30-Yamakasi-300-Sparta-Multi-HDMI-1-4a-2560x1600-S-IPS-Monitor-/130857761790?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item1e77bafbfe#ht_22661wt_959

You are covered by paypal insurance anyway if the product isn't as advertised. E-bay shopping is about as safe as it gets.

Expect to get stung by customs for maybe an extra €100.

So the same price as the dell + 3". Are these LED?

And what would the delivery time be?

Thanks for the answers btw

• Advertisement

It's express shipping so it should be 3-5 working days.

I'm not sure if the sparta is LED. The Leonidas definitely is and it's probably worth the extra.

The Leonidas has a better adjustable stand but you're looking at €100 more for that.

Review here.

The resolution is slightly higher over the Dell as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Its been a while since I looked at both to be honest, is the Dell the better one? I've an idea on monitors but im no guru on them

So the same price as the dell + 3". Are these LED?

And what would the delivery time be?

Thanks for the answers btw

I'm going for the Dell as they offer pixel perfect versions and if you find dead stuck pixels they will swap it out for you plus 3 year warrenty, these CatLeaps are to much of a rish if something goes wrong any savings you make will be lost on you shipping them back. Recommned buying the Dell's from Amazon as cheaper then the 800 euros Dell are looking for through their shops and there's free supersaver shipping.
    I just need to find a reasonable graphic card to power one.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,183 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You know I had my eye on one of those 30" Korean models but just looking at this dell one has me interested

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrasharp-U2913WM-inch-Monitor/dp/B00ABYDSWC/ref=sr_1_3?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1363308486&sr=1-3

Only an inch smaller too, thoughts?

edit just read it does 21:9 ratio, that kinda puts me off

Any recommendations on the 27" panels? I'm looking for 1440p, preferably not tempered glass.

Something that can overclock to the 80hz+ region.

Ideally additional inputs than just dual dvi but I can live without that.

Sub €300 and pixel perfect. Probably asking a bit much. Can maybe stretch to €350.

These will do 125hz apparently. Anyone got one?

-edit- Scratch that. No it won't.

All you lucky people who got the catleap 2B's cheap :(

I'm going for the Dell as they offer pixel perfect versions and if you find dead stuck pixels they will swap it out for you plus 3 year warrenty, these CatLeaps are to much of a rish if something goes wrong any savings you make will be lost on you shipping them back. Recommned buying the Dell's from Amazon as cheaper then the 800 euros Dell are looking for through their shops and there's free supersaver shipping.
    I just need to find a reasonable graphic card to power one.

Do you mean the Dell U2713HM?
    Its over on komplett for about €560, roughly the same price as the ASUS PB278Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Do you mean the Dell U2713HM?
    Its over on komplett for about €560, roughly the same price as the ASUS PB278Q

Yeah that Model, it works out €528.46 delivered from Amazon, and that includes the irish vat rate, not sure if Asus offer the same pixel perfect warrenty as Dell, it's a lot of bucks but again you get what you pay for

Yeah that Model, it works out €528.46 delivered from Amazon, and that includes the irish vat rate, not sure if Asus offer the same pixel perfect warrenty as Dell, it's a lot of bucks but again you get what you pay for
    Just had a quick google that threw this up - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18483443

Seems ASUS will replace it with a new unit if faulty.

Question now is which one looks better?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cristobal

Hey, I posted here before asking if anyone had similar problems to me (backlight but not monitor working) with my Korean monitor off of ebay. It was a Qnix qx2700, well I just wanted to relay the hassle I've had with this process.

First off, that monitor was faulty, I tried it on 3 different machines, I took it into the IT dept at work, and to the repair guy in RightClick. No one could get it working and it looked like a problem with the monitor. I returned it to bigclothcraft and a week went by with no word, so I emailed early in the morning to catch them because of the time difference and asked if there was any update. I got a reply from them saying they were waiting to hear back from the manufacturer as they're just the reseller.

Fair enough, at least I know what the story is.

But then, half an hour later I get another message from bigclothcraft but signed off by someone else(usually the mails are signed "hayley" or "tom" or something.) and it said that they'd been testing the monito, it worked fine and it was a problem on my end. So which was it? did they send it away or were they testing it there in the office? I asked them that question and they said thats what the manufacturer said to them. It just so happened they heard back at the same time I emailed.

Bull****. So I asked for a refund because I simply didn't believe them and I received the refund a week or so later. Pain in the arse, but no harm no foul.

So about two weeks ago I went with green-sum and ordered a more advanced version of the qnix with a hdmi and dvi-d port. It arrived last week, and lo it worked perfectly. magic. I was delighted.

Until yesterday. And it wouldn't turn on at all.

I contacted the seller, they said yes, this has happened before and its either the power supply or the power board thats faulty. The three pin plug to the adapter works fine, because I swapped in another one, and the light on the adapter works fine too, so it doesn't look like its the power supply, which means I have to ship a monitor back to Korea... again. I borrowed a multimeter from work so I'll be testing the output voltage tonight , which eliminates all possibilities except that its the monitor itself thats banjaxed. I should also point out that I have a UPS and a surge protector on my computer and monitor sockets.

To be fair to green-sum, they've been swift in reply, pretty helpful apologetic and all that, especially compared to bigclothcraft where it took up to a week and threats of a paypal chargeback to get a reply out of them at times. I'm just putting this up here as a warning to people as to just how awkward these things can get. Cheap though they may be, and I'm sure I've just had bad luck, but these monitors are not perfect, and I'd be interested to know the hardware failure rate if mine died after just two days...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Why am I finding so hard to find these monitors for the prices quoted on ebay.ie :(
    Also how does the built in speaker work with a 2.1 Sound setup... Does it just make it into a 3.1 setup?
    Also is the speaker actually any good, as a LOT of sound will run through the centre speaker in a 3.1 setup, I don't want to risk messing up my sound

Monitor speakers are usually crap. I'd have them muted if you have dedicated speakers.

I'm liking the crossover 27Q led-p out of the current range of 27" koreans. I might have the muster up the money for one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

BloodBath wrote: »
    Monitor speakers are usually crap. I'd have them muted if you have dedicated speakers.

I'm liking the crossover 27Q led-p out of the current range of 27" koreans. I might have the muster up the money for one soon.

Yeah, given the price jump in the Yamasaki since this thread began they seem better value

This may be of interest to you:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1280755/review-tests-crossover-27q-led-p-pivot-edition-gallery-with-apple-cinema-display

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

anyone know roughly how much power one of these draws? or where on the monitor i'd check?

had a look on the back of it a while back but couldn't see anything

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

-Power Supply Voltage : DC 24V 5A (all you need is a kettle lead)
    -Power Consumption : 63W(ON), 0.6W(Standby, off)

Have a look at the back of this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

if someone reminds me in a week when I'm back from holiday I can test it with a kill-o-watt to get an exact figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

anybody successfully got 2560x1440 resolution with this monitor under linux, Ive tried the few solutions floating around the net for the EDID failure but cant get the high res.

Using the latest x64 nvidia linux drivers

GeForce 680, tried ubuntu 12.04, && 12.10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Stuxnet wrote: »
    anybody successfully got 2560x1440 resolution with this monitor under linux, Ive tried the few solutions floating around the net for the EDID failure but cant get the high res.

Using the latest x64 nvidia linux drivers

GeForce 680, tried ubuntu 12.04, && 12.10

I tried 12.04 a while back on a USB, and it just booted into 2560x1440. This was with a HD7950 without any drivers so I don't know if that helps :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i can do a live 12.1 run if you want?

Is that real? I thought that 4K TVs were still like $5000 or something.

Apparently it is, no-one knows what the quality of it is going to be like yet though.

Apparently it is, no-one knows what the quality of it is going to be like yet though.

4K is still 4k though... And 120hz? I didn't even think that we had 1440p @ 120hz? Excluding some Catleaps, of course.

I don't know, to be honest. I'm not that interested in 4K or 120Hz, so I haven't looked into any of it with anything more than a quick glance. I just figured the high-res crazy people here would like something to gawk at. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Can anything run something like Crysis at 4k?

Maybe a pair of crossfired Titans?

That's many many pixels.

I think even that would struggle. Titan SLI manages about 35FPS on surround Crysis 3, and 4K is ~33% more pixels to push. That said, Titan has a buttload of memory to spare, so that doesn't mean it'll get 33% less performance. Then again, it's not like 35FPS average is that enjoyable to begin with.

• Advertisement

TV manufacturers use numbers like 120Hz and 200Hz to describe backlight scanning technology and motion interpolation etc. They are just makey-upper marketing numbers. It's not the panel refresh rate and it certainly can't handle a 120Hz input signal.

At 4K resolution the most it could support is 24Hz input signal. That's due to the bandwidth of HDMI 1.4

Advertisement