Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Serephucus wrote: »

oh look, its an affordable 4k tv! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nice except there is no way of delivering that resolution except over analog vga.

Until they come up with a digital solution of delivering that res I wouldn't touch it.

That and the fact there is 0 content for it and you will not be able to run even the best multi gpu setups at that res for gaming.

Give it 5 years.

they deliver it over dual hdmi on the existing content delivery systems

edit: actually thats incorrect, its either 4xhdmi 1.3 or a single 1.4

http://www.red.com/store/products/redray-player

Max res 1 hdmi can handle is 1920x1200 @ 60hz so it would take at least 4 alright which is just stupid.

Is that monitor true 120hz? I doubt it at that price and it would mean the bandwidth would need to be doubled again.

Does the monitor above use hdmi 1.4?

it doesnt say on there but another review i read on it suggests it does deliver it via hdmi 1.4. it only has 3 hdmi ports anyway so it cant be over 1.3

• Advertisement

HDMI 1.4 can do 4096×2160p24.

4K in the context of TVs is 'only' 3840x2160 so at this slightly lower resolution there is maybe enough bandwidth for 30Hz.

Most movies are 24fps so for a TV it's not a complete disaster. The only 4K sources for consumers (outside of a PC) are upscaling Bluray players and Sonys dedicated 4K player. Both are limited to 24p output anyway at 4K.

HDMI 2.0 is being developed specifically with 4K content in mind, and 3D at 4K, higher framerates and all that other stuff. So these first generation of 4K TVs are premature but they wanted to get them out to early adopters and start recouping R&D costs.

HDMI 1.4 can do 4096×2160p24.

4K in the context of TVs is 'only' 3840x2160 so at this slightly lower resolution there is maybe enough bandwidth for 30Hz.

Most movies are 24fps so for a TV it's not a complete disaster. The only 4K sources for consumers (outside of a PC) are upscaling Bluray players and Sonys dedicated 4K player. Both are limited to 24p output anyway at 4K.

HDMI 2.0 is being developed specifically with 4K content in mind, and 3D at 4K, higher framerates and all that other stuff. So these first generation of 4K TVs are premature but they wanted to get them out to early adopters and start recouping R&D costs.

yeah that tv linked is 30hz for that res

sony announced a couple of new 4k tvs at NAB, still quite expensive but over 10000 dollars less than their initial models which were announced only a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Serephucus wrote: »
    if it wasn't for the refresh problems of a 4k screen at the moment, I'd absolutely find a way to buy that, beg, borrow, or steal. $1200 isn't that expensive is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

BloodBath wrote: »
    Give it 5 years.

Of course if they're available for $1200 now then in five years time when the supporting technology catches up they could be perfectly affordable then, perhaps on the scale that the Catleaps are to us now.

I hope so but I still don't see pc hardware being able to run games at that res unless you are willing to spend 3-4 grand on a pc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The time has come, I have money, now which one to get?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA-Shimian-QH270-Lite-27-LED-Quad-HD-DVI-2560x1440-16-9-6ms-PC-Monitor-/110833856200?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19ce366ec8

Anybody see any better?

EDIT: it doesnt say IPS?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd go for this

What is the difference in that and the other crossover? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CROSSOVE...item3380d5344f

And also this one at 322$ http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330906047410&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
    This one probably has pixel problems?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

as far as I can see, it can pivot and doesn't have built in speakers

There was a post outlining all the difference between the different crossover models but I can't find it.

I think the main difference is the non blade has a full metal housing compared to the plastic housing on the blade.

The stand is a much higher quality as well. There is a p version of the blade as well though. The p just stands for pivot meaning it has that good stand. There's a normal 27q that doesn't have the adjustable stand that's probably cheaper again.

-Edit-
    Found a link, it doesn't have all the models on it though.

http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/14/budget-korean-27-ips-monitor-information-and-comparison-of-the-different-brands-and-models/

Ah I see, might be worth extra for that all right. Do the stands go up? I fecking hate how low my current monitor is.
    It's a bit misleading how all the pictures show pivoting
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CROSSOVER-27Q-LED-BLADE-27-S-IPS-MONITOR-2560-X-1440-QHD-Built-in-Speaker-/221204788303?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item3380d5344f

Do they all have adjustable stands and pivoting refers to putting the screen sideways as opposed to just forwards/back?
    Must have a look for that thread showing the differences.

I think you can only tilt that one.

Any of the crossover's that have p in the title are the pivot variations with the good stand.

Some nice pictures of it here.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1280755/review-tests-crossover-27q-led-p-pivot-edition-gallery-with-apple-cinema-display

That is one sexy monitor

For sure. Been tempted to get one myself for a while now.

• Advertisement

Seems to be the best for 400$. the one I linked seems the only one for 350$. decisions decisions! Even love the white back of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

wish you could buy the pivot stands for the crossovers to allow non-pivot owners to upgrade their monitors

wish you could buy the pivot stands for the crossovers to allow non-pivot owners to upgrade their monitors

You can buy pivot stands.

What you think of this for 317$ http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-QNIX-QX2710-Evolution-2-ll-2560x1440-WQHD-Samsung-PLS-Monitor-Matt-Screen-/130868312541?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1e785bf9dd

People on OC.net reccommending it. Dunno the difference between PLS and IPS. Anyone have one of these?

Apparently you can OC these new monitors.

You can get that qnix in matt or glossy(no idea which is nicer) for 317$. They OC to 120hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,183 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hey Tar can you give me a link about the OC of the Qnix please

Hi Im just reading this atm http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/the-korean-pls-monitor-club-qnix-x-star poeple are saying tehy are getting them and sticking them to 120hz, will post a link as I see it. Looks pretty sweet. qnix or teh corossover pivot for me 317$ vs 400$. Would be nice to pivot but a 317 inch ips @120/130hz... awesome.

what ye guys think of matte vs glossy? I only have matte screens so cant comment on glossy as a desktop screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,183 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hmm I was going to get that 30" Yamakasi but seeing that QNIX QX2710 and can be overclocked to 120hz has me thinking twice

Love the price too

Glossy screens are a bitch for reflective screens

Found this vid

• Advertisement

Haha I just watched that video! 120hz for that price. I think I'll get one. The x-star is even cheaper. I saw it for 286$ but everybody is buying the qnix mostly so there must be a reason. Feck these huge threads!

Im in a dark enough room so glossy might look better than matte, duno. half the people on there bought matte and half bought glossy. All teh catleaps on here were glossy etc and poeple seemed to lvoe them. Torn. My matte screen is great but i hear colours are nicer on a glossy.

Advertisement