Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

+1 With the matte screen. Shiny screens are a pain in the hole unless you're in a darkened room all the time. The slightest bit of direct sunlight is a nightmare to deal with and you end up straining your eyes trying to see what's going on. The matte screen is pretty vibrant by itself. I'd sacrifice some potentially better brightness or contrast for something that you can actually look at at a wide angle and is easier to keep clean.
    If you're coming from a TN screen, the IPS will seem a lot more colourful anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Yeah definitely go for the matte.The glossy will drive you mad.Dont think I went for the pixel perfect and still ended up with a perfect screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Cheers guys!

So finally just before i order this i wanted to make sure my GPU has the connections this monitor needs.

I will be using the Saphire HD 7970 GHz Vapor-X edition card. Their website states that it has the following connections:

Output
    1 x HDMI (with 3D)
    1 x Single-Link DVI-D
    1 x DisplayPort 1.2
    1 x Dual-Link DVI-I

If im right doesnt this monitor need Dual-Link DVI-D? Am i screwed for using this monitor?

Cheers

DVI-I just means that it can output digital and analogue. So in other words, it's DVI-D and DVI-A in one connection. They give you a dual link cable with the monitor too.

When looking at this though Dual-Link DVI-I is different to Dual-Link DVI-D

sldldvi.jpg

According to the card outputs it only has one Dual Link connection which is Dual Link DVI-I the other is listed as Single-Link DVI-D. Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure this stuff will work :)

Are you saying I will be able to plug in the Dual-Link DVI-D cable they give me into the Single-Link DVI-D slot on the card? Because that is the only looking slot that it seems it will fit in? Which would be the black port in the image below.

1347832385B4YeOSFnvp_1_7_l.jpg

• Advertisement

:-/ I thought I was being clear.

A DVI-I connection on your card supports DVI-D or DVI-A cables.

See the DVI-I Dual link connector in the upper right of that diagram?
    You can connect all of those types of cables below into that - the DVI-D, DVI-I, DL-DVI-D*, DL-DVI-I* as well as DVI-A.
    *Assuming the connector is dual link.

Even if you're not using all the holes, it doesn't mean it's incompatible!

You don't plug it in into the single link DVI-D connector as that will only work for lower resolutions - i.e., dual link is doubling the bandwidth, which is necessary for a high resolution monitor like this.

Ok that makes perfect sense. Apologies im useless with the different connection types and compatibilities. Appreciate you explaining it like that.

Thanks again!

I came across this very details review of the Qnix QX2710. Not sure if it had been posted already so sorry if it has.

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/13500-qnix-qx2710-review-2560x1440-matte-overclock-able-pls.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Questiion - Should I be using HDMI / DVI / DP with my monitor?

I got one that has all of the above but unsure of the advantages each one has over others.

There shouldn't be any difference between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

Hi Everyone can anyone tell me please, will a Sapphire HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 card handle one of these babies ?

Many thanks.

Handle one, yes.

Run every game at full resolution, no. You'd have to be lowering the in-game resolution on some of the recent games.

Monotype wrote: »
    Handle one, yes.

Run every game at full resolution, no. You'd have to be lowering the in-game resolution on some of the recent games.

Thanks for that Monotype, any suggestions on best cost effective solution for running at highest settings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Hi Guys,

Thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. I have 2 460GTX 1gb in SLI. Will they be able to handle one of these?

peneau wrote: »
    Thanks for that Monotype, any suggestions on best cost effective solution for running at highest settings ?

You'd want to go with at least a 7950. They're about €260+. Even at that, I think that Crysis 3 might struggle at that resolution, so you might consider a 7970 or two cards even if you want everything at maximum.
    Overclocked, the 7950 should be able to do fairly well.

Alternatively, you could just get the monitor and see how it goes before you upgrade the card.

Or get a second 6870 if you can find one cheap, assuming your motherboard and PSU supports it. You might take a small hit with the RAM as newer cards have more and at high resolutions, it's usually advantageous to have more than 1GB.
    Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. I have 2 460GTX 1gb in SLI. Will they be able to handle one of these?

About the power as a single GTX 660ti... it wouldn't everything on maximum, but it should run most things fairly well.

Again, the 1GB might be a slight issue and could hold you back a little. I would probably go with the monitor, turn down the details now for a little while and pick up a new card next generation or upgrade if you're unhappy -- unless you'd prefer to have detail at maximum and stick with what you have.

About the power as a single GTX 660ti... it wouldn't everything on maximum, but it should run most things fairly well.

Again, the 1GB might be a slight issue and could hold you back a little. I would probably go with the monitor, turn down the details now for a little while and pick up a new card next generation or upgrade if you're unhappy -- unless you'd prefer to have detail at maximum and stick with what you have.

Thanks, just got the white screen of death on what I have so sticking with what i have isn't an option. Will pull trigger on 780gtx soon enough..

You'd want to go with at least a 7950. They're about €260+. Even at that, I think that Crysis 3 might struggle at that resolution, so you might consider a 7970 or two cards even if you want everything at maximum.
    Overclocked, the 7950 should be able to do fairly well.

Alternatively, you could just get the monitor and see how it goes before you upgrade the card.

Or get a second 6870 if you can find one cheap, assuming your motherboard and PSU supports it. You might take a small hit with the RAM as newer cards have more and at high resolutions, it's usually advantageous to have more than 1GB.

Thanks for that comprehensive reply Mono and for taking the time.
    I'll try the 6870 first and see how it goes if it doesn't cut the mustard I may well go for the 7970 option, many thanks again, much appreciated.

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Thanks, just got the white screen of death on what I have so sticking with what i have isn't an option. Will pull trigger on 780gtx soon enough..

Trigger pulled on both...

Ordered my monitor on Friday and its already in Dublin! That was pretty fast! Latest from the tracker:
    Travel History Help Hide Date/Time Activity Location
    - 7/30/2013 - Tuesday
    11:44 am International shipment release - Import DUBLIN IE
    11:05 am Clearance delay - Import DUBLIN IE
    In clearance process.
    8:14 am Clearance in progress DUBLIN IE
    8:13 am In transit DUBLIN IE
    Package available for clearance
    5:44 am At destination sort facility DUBLIN IE
    4:47 am In transit STANSTED GB
    4:29 am In transit ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR
    2:15 am Departed FedEx location ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR

Any ideas if ill be due to pay any customs?

AntDub wrote: »
    No VAT+admin charge this end.... yet.
    Not sure if they can contact you after the delivery has arrived to charge you for the vat or not or if it's slipped through the system. I don't think they can, as far as I'm aware VAT has to be paid before the goods are handed to you unless you have an account TAN account with them ( which I don't ).

Were you ever charged VAT or anything? It's been a couple of weeks now and nothing so far for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

Danger781 wrote: »
    Were you ever charged VAT or anything? It's been a couple of weeks now and nothing so far for me.

Nothing yet, someone on here reckons they can follow up on it so who knows. I'n all my time dealing with shipments in work from outside the EU they always look for payment on the day. Not sure if they treat business different to the public.

Looking good so far :)

Nothing yet, someone on here reckons they can follow up on it so who knows. I'n all my time dealing with shipments in work from outside the EU they always look for payment on the day. Not sure if they treat business different to the public.

From personal experience receiving a delivery via DHL they asked for money at the door when I was importing a few items of clothing from South Korea, so I would have assumed money at the door was standard practice.

However - Saying that, a friend of mine had this experience when he lived in the UK after importing jewellery via FedEx to his college accommodation over in the UK. Similar to us he was not charged at the door but an invoice was sent out to him a couple of weeks later.

He was refusing to pay the ~€20 charge as he genuinely didn't know about needing to pay VAT from outside Europe and would have declined delivery if he realised. They sent a debt collector to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 philroche

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info. Two Fridays ago I bought a pixel perfect version of http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-STAR-DP2710-LED-MDP-Matte-27-2560x1440-SAMSUNG-PLS-DP-HDMI-DVI-PC-Monitor-/111101616152 direct from accessorieswhole (support@snpbiz.com) as they had no QNIX left in stock. I paid $407.38 USD (€321.44 EUR). The attached invoice stated $200 but I have yet to be charged any VAT. Delivery was by Fedex who outsourced the Irish leg of the journey to Nightline and it arrived last Friday.

I am very very pleased with the unit. Build quality is not as per a Dell of Apple monitor but it is also a fraction of the price. Vesa mount works well but the vertical part of the original stand cannot be removed. There is a slight light bleed at the bottom but it doesn't bother me at all.

Two thumbs up from me..........soooooo many pixels

I think it was three weeks later when I got the letter about the VAT.

So ... Anyone that would have been tracking their own monitor come across this at all?
    -

7/30/2013 - Tuesday
    6:59 pm
    In transit

MUNICH AIRPORT DE
    5:58 pm
    International shipment release - Import

DUBLIN IE
    11:44 am
    International shipment release - Import

DUBLIN IE
    11:05 am
    Clearance delay - Import

DUBLIN IE

In clearance process.
    8:14 am
    Clearance in progress

DUBLIN IE
    8:13 am
    In transit

DUBLIN IE

Package available for clearance
    5:44 am
    At destination sort facility

DUBLIN IE
    4:47 am
    In transit

STANSTED GB
    4:29 am
    In transit

ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR
    2:15 am
    Departed FedEx location

ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE CEDEX FR

Korea > France > UK > Dublin for all of today and then later this evening its showing in Germany after already being in Ireland?

Any ideas?

Looks like it's heading back home :)

Sorry, couldn't stop laughing, I wouldn't believe that site, missus was just telling me that she bought something a few weeks ago from the US and it said it was in the UK but arrived the same day and still had the UK on it after she'd signed for it.

I'd just let it make it's way to you and don't call them just in case you draw attention to it.

Google your address and see if there's somewhere similar in Munich lol

Haha ill see but I'm gonna think no! Cheers ill leave it be hoping to get it Thursday!
    Sorry, couldn't stop laughing, I wouldn't believe that site, missus was just telling me that she bought something a few weeks ago from the US and it said it was in the UK but arrived the same day and still had the UK on it after she'd signed for it.

I'd just let it make it's way to you and don't call them just in case you draw attention to it.

Google your address and see if there's somewhere similar in Munich lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Had the same kind of thing happen with mine.It was apparently in Australia when it got delivered to me,

• Advertisement

Fu**ers! I spoke too soon about the vat, accounts dept in work just handed me an invoice to approve and confirm what order on the system it's for, turns out it's the SNP crowd I ordered the Monitor from.

Vat = €34.31
    Admin Fee = €10.50
    Total = €44.81

Can't complain with that really

Advertisement