Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on "sufficient funds" for NZ WHV

Options
  • 26-03-2012 2:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

From: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/irelandworkingholidayscheme.htm

have a passport from the Republic of Ireland that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
    be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
    not bring children with you
    hold a return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket*
    have a minimum of NZ$4,200 available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here

meet our health and character requirements
    be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work or study being secondary intentions for your visit
    not have been approved a visa under a Working Holiday Scheme before.
    AND
    If you are already in New Zealand you also need to hold a valid temporary visa.

*You are required to hold sufficient funds for the duration of your visit and for the purchase of an outward ticket from New Zealand. Such evidence may be requested on arrival at the border.

So I applied for the one year WHV for New Zealand and I have a few questions regarding the "sufficient funds" section. Does it mean that I just need the funds for an outward ticket/an actual return flight booked or the $4200 and a return flight? How strict are they on this, do they check, how do they check?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You need an outward ticket OR sufficent funds to buy a ticket AND $4200 for living costs.

THe $4200 is money to survive while you find work. It's not related to the flight money. They don't often check, but the amount is there for a reason. You will find it very hard to survive on less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Mellor wrote: »
    You need an outward ticket OR sufficent funds to buy a ticket AND $4200 for living costs.

THe $4200 is money to survive while you find work. It's not related to the flight money. They don't often check, but the amount is there for a reason. You will find it very hard to survive on less.

I have a job lined up over there, I'll be starting two days after I arrive so money won't be that big an issue for me, I have the price of a one way flight and about 1500 euros in savings.

So if I go over and lets just say have an outward ticket for two weeks after I arrive and just the 1500 euros would that do, I could then move my flight back a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Could anyone in the family or friends transfer €1100 into your account ? Then simply print a statement and they can withdraw the money soon afterwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Could anyone in the family or friends transfer €1100 into your account ? Then simply print a statement and they can withdraw the money soon afterwards

Thanks, I'd say I'll end up doing this.

I'm just wondering because I have casual work lined up for the second I land and a few euro behind me and my deposit paid on my accommodation it would make more sence for me to get a one way ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FearDark wrote: »
    I have a job lined up over there, I'll be starting two days after I arrive so money won't be that big an issue for me, I have the price of a one way flight and about 1500 euros in savings.
    Jobs fall through. Especially Casual jobs.
    So if I go over and lets just say have an outward ticket for two weeks after I arrive and just the 1500 euros would that do, I could then move my flight back a year?
    Why would you book an outward ticket for two weeks after.
    Don't book a ticket that you ahve no intention of using. Waste of money.
    If you have a credit card, than can count towards the money. It's easy to make it look like you have enough, thats not the issue really. Its up to you if you want to risk it with little funds. I wouldn't advise it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement