Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

Flip Flop wrote: »
    For those who have On Demand, I found this good article in the Sunday Business Post on everything you need to know about the service.http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Technology/Features/UPC+movies-on-demand%3A+what%2C+where%2C+how+much/id/19410615-5218-4fbb-8f0e-169b72087823
    For those in Dublin like me who have not got On Demand yet, it also sets out the timetable for the rollout of the service. According to it, it looks like the rest of Dublin will get On Demand sometime in July.

Don't hold your breath on that one, they can't even provide a date for the upgrade of the rest of their network (to enable HD and phone-the last great thing!) in large areas of Dublin so I would take "sometime in July" to be "sometime in some July".....

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

biggebruv wrote: »
    Just Tried noting has anybody in dub17 got ondemand??

I just checked and I have the on demand here in D17 ( near northside SC )

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

Don't hold your breath on that one, they can't even provide a date for the upgrade of the rest of their network (to enable HD and phone-the last great thing!) in large areas of Dublin so I would take "sometime in July" to be "sometime in some July".....

Well the network has been upgraded in my area and I have HD, although I still can't get phone and broadband. Like others I'll just have to hope that they stick to their plan and I'll have On Demand sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not getting it for the mo in D18, found out from them on Twitter when I DM'ed my a/c number.

Unfortunately the On Demand service is not currently available to you. We will contact you in advance of any future release date. Apologies that we can't be of more assistance at this time.

Never got the pizza letter either so it looks like UPC knew well who would and would not have it but they deliberately put out that vague press release about 160,000 homes in Dublin getting it while conveniently omitting to say what % of their customers that represented.

Does anyone live in the area of Dublin SE where HD is not yet available but they do have on-demand today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to confirm that all of our fully upgraded Dublin cable network excluding Swords and Malahide was enabled this morning for On Demand. This means that if you have a UPC remote control with an On Demand button on it, you should be able to access the service.

If you have one of our old boxes, and would like to upgrade, call us now on 1908 to upgrade to a new On Demand capable one for just €30 and you will have access to On Demand by early next week!

If you are in Dublin, have the correct box and still see ‘service unavailable’ messages please call our call centre on 1908 and the team will help you out.

Don’t forget the RTE Player, 3 player and box sets are all free for all digital select extra and max customers. If you are a Digital Value customer, you can access the TV players for free. If you want more you can upgrade for just €5 and you will not just get On Demand but over 20 more channels!

I hope this helps

Regards

Jason

• Advertisement

Jason, can you please read my post immediately above yours - why did the UPC people on Twitter tell me I have to wait for the service if it's available now? That was after I sent them my a/c number in a Twitter DM.

And why when I press the On-Demand button does the screen tell me to go to upc.ie to see when the service will be available when there's no info on the website for the people not enabled for On-Demand today?

And if it's available to everyone, why didn't I receive the letter with the pizza offer?

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I just wanted to confirm that all of our Dublin cable network excluding Swords and Malahide was enabled this morning for On Demand. This means that if you have a UPC remote control with an On Demand button on it, you should be able to access the service.

If you have one of our old boxes, and would like to upgrade, call us now on 1908 to upgrade to a new On Demand capable one for just €30 and you will have access to On Demand by early next week!

If you are in Dublin, have the correct box and still see ‘service unavailable’ messages please call our call centre on 1908 and the team will help you out.

Don’t forget the RTE Player, 3 player and box sets are all free for all digital select extra and max customers. If you are a Digital Value customer, you can access the TV players for free. If you want more you can upgrade for just €5 and you will not just get On Demand but over 20 more channels!

I hope this helps

Regards

Jason
    Just rang UPC customer service and they told me that the reason I didn't have On Demand was that, Phone and Broadband isn't available in my area. Seemingly you don't have to subscribe to Phone and Broadband from UPC but you have to have the ability to receive it, in order to be able to receive On Demand, or so I was told anyway. Maybe Tarquin1970 is right, I might never get it so, with the slow pace of the upgrade programme.

Nice bit of back tracking there Jason!

Exactly how much of Dublin has not been "fully upgraded" if only a third have this service from today?
    Why are UPC reluctant to give upgrade dates for the rest of the Dublin network?

Nice bit of back tracking there Jason!

Spotted that. For the benefit of those who didn't, Jason's post was changed from 'all of our Dublin cable network excluding Swords and Malahide was enabled this morning for On Demand' to 'all of our fully upgraded Dublin cable network......'
    Exactly how much of Dublin has not been "fully upgraded" if only a third have this service from today?
    Why are UPC reluctant to give upgrade dates for the rest of the Dublin network?

Because UPC themselves don't know the answer to that question. On the 'Network Improvements' webpage..

http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/network_improvements/

there is a map of Dublin on which it refers to planned 2011 activities in the future tense e.g. areas coloured yellow are 'Proposed 2011 Rings'.

coylemj wrote: »
    Spotted that. For the benefit of those who didn't, Jason's post was changed from 'all of our Dublin cable network excluding Swords and Malahide was enabled this morning for On Demand' to 'all of our fully upgraded Dublin cable network......'

Yeah he updated that about a minute after my post. What's doublely galling in my case, is that I have HD and they cabled my apartment block for phone and broadband. However they never took down the old cable and they didn't connect the new cable to the network. So despite getting literature at the time promising phone and broadband, I have never been able to receive it. I think I might have to persue this further myself because it sucks missing out on new services because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to confirm that all of our fully upgraded Dublin cable network excluding Swords and Malahide was enabled this morning for On Demand. This means that if you have a UPC remote control with an On Demand button on it, you should be able to access the service.

Don’t forget the RTE Player, 3 player and box sets are all free for all digital select extra and max customers. If you are a Digital Value customer, you can access the TV players for free. If you want more you can upgrade for just €5 and you will not just get On Demand but over 20 more channels

I have the Cisco HD DVR in Dublin 15, near Blanchardstown and don't have the service. We can get all UPC services here and have press red coming up on the channels and on Demand shows up on the menu, but it tells me.

"Service unavailable. Please go to UPC.ie to see when the service will be available in your area."

1908 tell me it isn't in Dublin 15 until July.

I can no longer see channel 119 either in the EPG.

Hi coylemj

As you had given the twitter guys access to your account, they were able to see that your cable hasn't been upgraded for fibre power services just yet. I received your account details from our twitter team and I have pushed your account to our upgrade planners to try get a date for you, but can confirm that your area is about to be upgraded for fibre power this summer. (I will PM you with their reply from a release date perspective)

I wanted to clarify my post when I stated On demand is available to all upgraded cable area's now in Dublin, which is a very significant part of our network.

Thanks

Jason
    coylemj wrote:
    Jason, can you please read my post immediately above yours - why did the UPC people on Twitter tell me I have to wait for the service if it's available now? That was after I sent them my a/c number in a Twitter DM.

And why when I press the On-Demand button does the screen tell me to go to upc.ie to see when the service will be available when there's no info on the website for the people not enabled for On-Demand today?

And if it's available to everyone, why didn't I receive the letter with the pizza offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

coylemj wrote: »

Because UPC themselves don't know the answer to that question. On the 'Network Improvements' webpage..

http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/network_improvements/

there is a map of Dublin on which it refers to planned 2011 activities in the future tense e.g. areas coloured yellow are 'Proposed 2011 Rings'.

A bit of a mess from UPC. Nothing that new there. :rolleyes:

I have digital + HD TV service, 25mb broadband, but yet am getting the notice that Service on Demand is not available in my area. :mad:

On that network map, we're not even listed (white area).

Frustrating.

Hi coylemj

As you had given the twitter guys access to your account, they were able to see that your cable hasn't been upgraded for fibre power services just yet. I received your account details from our twitter team and I have pushed your account to our upgrade planners to try get a date for you, but can confirm that your area is about to be upgraded for fibre power this summer. (I will PM you with their reply from a release date perspective)

I wanted to clarify my post when I stated On demand is available to all upgraded cable area's now in Dublin, which is a very significant part of our network.

Thanks

Jason

Jason, thanks for the direct reply. Can I ask you a straight question:

Does my area need to be upgraded to provide the ability for HD and/or phone before I can get On-Demand?

It would have been very helpful if UPC simply said in advance of the availability of On Demand that anyone living in an area not yet enabled for HD cannot get On-Demand. I'm not saying that the customer needed to have a HD box, just that HD was available in the area.

If that is the case then I'd like to say that UPC succeeded in seriously mismanaging the launch of On-Demand. I have UPC TV and 25 Mb broadband so had no reason to suspect (based on the pre-launch hype) that I would not get On-Demand on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Rang UPC this morning and found out that the reason I was getting "not subscribed" when trying to play TV episodes was because I was still on an old package (66.08 euro) which only had Digital Value - so "upgraded" to the Fibre Power Essential package...for 66euro a month..with more channels and on-demand tv.

Win.

Hi Flip Flop

Please pm me your details, and I would be happy to pass them to our upgrade team to see if we can help in any way to get you connected.

Thanks

Jason

[QUOTE=Flip Flop;78869048I think I might have to persue this further myself because it sucks missing out on new services because of it.[/QUOTE]

Hi coylemj

Thanks

Jason

Jason
    I've given the twitter team my address but couldn't even get a rough estimate of an upgrade date. Is there a secret map that they can't access? The network upgrade team weren't much help either. It would help if the network upgrade map on the website was up to date or if the communications teams were more informed.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I have 119 UPC on Demand back now.

It still says I need to subscribe to the channel though.

We're on Fibre Power 25 Meg + Digital +HD + Sky Sports and Digital Plus Select.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Jason
    I've given the twitter team my address but couldn't even get a rough estimate of an upgrade date. Is there a secret map that they can't access? The network upgrade team weren't much help either. It would help if the network upgrade map on the website was up to date or if the communications teams were more informed.
    Thanks

I am the same.

Talked to a customer service agent, who was less than helpful. "Keep checking channel 119 for the On-Demand service", which is not available to me yet. But, likewise, no information/date/plan when I might get it, even though I have 25mb broadband, Digital + HD and Digital Max tv.

The only info was to keep checking 119. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

Hi Jason,

I think despite some of the problems, this is a great addition to the UPC lineup. Well done !!

Can you clarify what the content that will be available to rte player.

Will the US series be available ?

This morning when I checked online at http://www.upc.ie/on_demand_tv/TV_Player/

There was a picture of desperate housewives with a caption that it was available on rte player, even though I could not see it on my Boxes.

Now when i checked again online, I see that the Desperate Housewives has been removed from website ..

Just see from your twitter that this should be available

UPC Ireland ‏@UPC_Ireland
    Missed your fave episodes of Desperate Housewives @Desperateabc or Grey's Anatomy @Greysabc? Catch up with UPC #ondemandtv

Can you clarify when they will be added ?

Cheers,

Bob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hi Guys,

if you have a UPC remote control with an On Demand button on it, you should be able to access the service.

Talk about a vague and unhelpful statement. "You should be able to access the service"? When, now or in July?

If he meant now, he couldn't be more wrong as it still depends on where you live (confirmed by 1908). If he meant July, why bother posting that as we knew that already?

Thanks for trying jason but this whole 'communication' thing has been a disaster. If the reps are getting it wrong or don't even know the correct story, what hope is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

No offence to Jason but I think his earlier post has caused even more confusion,again as confirmed by their support it is not released in all areas in Dublin,they cannot give customers any timescale or dates on when it will be released(ie crumlin where I live), it has nothing to do with wether you have an on demand button on your remote or if broadband tv and phone are available, the simple fact is they just haven't switched it on in certain area's, I just talked to support who said it is available in maynooth and clane which also had no relavence to what I was asking, they eventually put me through to the loyalty team who offered me half price on my bill for 4 months!!, I'm not looking for a discount I just would like to have access to the service, simple as that, upc's marketing is truly dreadful in my opinion and puts a dampener on the release for a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I appear to be getting everything in D8. However - two simple question first.

1) I'm on digital + with phone and 50 Mbs broadband . Please clarify if the boxsets (ie. House of Cards, Nurse Jackie) are free ? I realise the movies are not.

2) Why not provide a map with estimated delivery dates for the service to all subscribers.

Other than that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dekop

anyone getting on demand in the dub 24 area, i'm getting the 119 channel coming on, but when you press say rte player nothing, bit of a pr disaster for upc, some get it, some don't.

From what i have seen on the thread someone in d12 is getting it, someone in d12 is not, this seems to be the same in d18, ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sandcastle

I'm in Lucan. I have Cable Digital Max+, Fibre Power Broadband and
    I get "Service unavailable. Please go to UPC.ie to see when the service will be available in your area." message on my box.

Do I have to wait until July? Why not do you put up an area list on your website? "this area got the new service, this one will get from July etc." That would be much more professional...

So anyone in Lucan got the service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

sandcastle wrote: »
    I'm in Lucan. I have Cable Digital Max+, Fibre Power Broadband and
    I get "Service unavailable. Please go to UPC.ie to see when the service will be available in your area." message on my box.

Do I have to wait until July? Why not do you put up an area list on your website? "this area got the new service, this one will get from July etc." That would be much more professional...

So anyone in Lucan got the service?

yep, working for me finnstown area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Ok this is doing my nut in whats an old UPC Box??? jason??

The website should have put a picture of all the boxes that are compatable with this service that would be really helpfull

I have an old Box from like 2005 but it has an on demand button on my remote so is it compatable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I just stumbled across this here in D18. Working fine on a few week old Cisco HD box - also get HD and 25MB BB

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dekop wrote: »
    anyone getting on demand in the dub 24 area, i'm getting the 119 channel coming on, but when you press say rte player nothing, bit of a pr disaster for upc, some get it, some don't.

Yep, have on Demand in D24.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Great new addition!

Advertisement