Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Working fine for me in Lucan, I've had it since the pilot about ten days ago.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

where are you in lucan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Hey.
    I live in Dublin 7 (ashtown) and can navigate through menus etc. but when i try to watch a program it says loss of signal?
    any help appreciated. thanks.

img20120526183253.jpg

img20120526183757.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

Having problems in cork city, can get into the player menu etc , but when i choose a program it stays on the please wait screen forever!!!

According to this article in the Irish Times and the previous article I posted from the Sunday Business Post, On Demand won't be available in Cork until July, so maybe that's why you can't access it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/minibyte/2012/05/25/upcs-on-demand-service-goes-live/

Just wondering is there anybody in an area where you can't subscribe to HD, Broadband and Phone but who has On Demand nevertheless?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

icdg wrote: »
    Been playing some more with it. Am very impressed with the picture quality and delivery - its really just like watching another channel and much better quality and a much better experience than streaming online. I see content is growing already since yesterday so hopefully the content will start building up.

I'm not so impressed with the RTÉ and TV3 catch up services, they are the poor relation of their web counterparts. It would have been better if they were delivered through the same application as the other on demand content but I guess RTÉ and TV3 want the services fully branded. The TV3 one in particular is slightly difficult to navigate. Individual parts of Ireland AM appear to be broken out, for instance, but you can't watch the entire programme in one go.

Some other issues...Doctor Who: why is Journey's End (which is part two of a two-parter!) missing? Part Two of An Unearthly Child is actually Part One again! Tennant's final specials are missing and there's none of Matt Smith (yet).

And to add another small thing - Yes Minister is actually Yes Prime Minister.

• Advertisement

animan wrote: »
    Probably am yeah. Must try convince the father to upgrade
    If you offer to pay I'm sure there'll be no problem. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Anyone having any problems with it tonight? It was working fine but now I am getting a message saying it is unavailable at this time and to check my wires or check on UPC's website. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

SB-08 wrote: »
    Anyone having any problems with it tonight? It was working fine but now I am getting a message saying it is unavailable at this time and to check my wires or check on UPC's website. :rolleyes:

It only appeared on my box this evening but when I pressed into On Demand it said it wasn't available, I'm in Dublin 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Flip Flop wrote: »
    According to this article in the Irish Times and the previous article I posted from the Sunday Business Post, On Demand won't be available in Cork until July, so maybe that's why you can't access it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/minibyte/2012/05/25/upcs-on-demand-service-goes-live/

Just wondering is there anybody in an area where you can't subscribe to HD, Broadband and Phone but who has On Demand nevertheless?
    thanks for this much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Droichead

I got the letter but today 27 may the response to pressing on demand is that it is not available to me - check shows the following - Ip Address cable modem fail ; Mediabox ip address fail ; Network ip connectivity error 3 fail. So why work on RTE yesterday and now fail ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Droichead wrote: »
    I got the letter but today 27 may the response to pressing on demand is that it is not available to me - check shows the following - Ip Address cable modem fail ; Mediabox ip address fail ; Network ip connectivity error 3 fail. So why work on RTE yesterday and now fail ?

I think they may be doing some sort of an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Can I ask, and it may already have been answered on this thread a few queries in relation how this is being implemented?
    1. Is the mediabox also getting an IP from the UPC network?
    2. What have UPC had to do to its infrastructure to bring about this (I notice a lot of large-ish metal, green boxes popping up around Galway Cities, at roadsides and estates in the past number of months, would this be UPC or someone else?
    3. Where are the servers that host the media located (I realise RTE/TV3 players are redirects to their infrastructure, are the films and box sets provided by another third party?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

rev1890 wrote: »
    I'm in Lucan also and don't have it yet. Got a letter a few weeks ago that they would be doing upgrade works over the next while. Presume this is related to on demand service. Have broadband and HD Digital since the beginning. Strange how some people have on demand but don't have other UPC services available to them e.g. HD.

Also in Lucan south without the service. RTE / TV3 show the player options but selecting them just says this service is not available.

I suspect it is something to do with the same reason that I cannot get 100mb broadband (yet have 50mb). UPC don't really know anything as their sales told me I couldn't even get the 50 mb package

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Could we have more information on what free box sets are on demand lads? I thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

This may be unrelated but I noticed a €30 charge appear on our bill. In the news articles there is a mention of a €30 charge for upgraded to the service. Anybody else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

I have multiroom viewing and have the service on my main dvr+ box but not on the other box (Pace).
    I rang UPC and they said it wasn't available on the Pace box but that this could be upgraded/swapped for a one off €30 charge.
    Other option was to replace it with another dvr+ box at a monthly charge of €3.81 (provided it was self instal).

decies wrote: »
    Could we have more information on what free box sets are on demand lads? I thank you.

Well, at the moment:

US:
    The Good Wife
    Nurse Jackie
    Blue Bloods
    Dexter (coming soon)
    America: The story of the USA
    Ice road Truckers
    American Pickers
    Pawn Stars

Best of BBC
    Ashes to Ashes
    Dr Who
    Black Adder
    Edge of Darkness
    Horrible Histories (can I just say this is a great show for Adults too)
    House of Cards
    Royale Family
    Thick of it (one off special)
    Torchwood
    Walking with Dinosaurs
    Wallander (Branagh version)
    Yes Prime Minister

Other UK favs
    Touch of Frost
    Cold Feet
    Cracker
    Skins
    Wild at heart

Children
    Good mix of Disney stuff. Ben 10 coming soon and other cartoon network and Boomerang stuff.

New content will be on the way. I'd say by the time other people get it in July/Aug it'll be meatier. Nonetheless, a very good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Yeah, not a bad start. Obvious new additions (I'm sure theres more) would be Life on Mars (sequel to Ashes to Ashes), To Play The King, The Final Cut (sequels to house of Cards) and more than one episode of the Royle Family (like now please).
    Oh, could we have a re-run of Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭lauraww

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Well, at the moment:

US:
    The Good Wife
    Nurse Jackie
    Blue Bloods
    Dexter (coming soon)
    Ice road Truckers
    American Pickers
    Pawn Stars

Best of BBC
    Ashes to Ashes
    Dr Who
    Black Adder
    Edge of Darkness
    House of Cards
    Royale Family
    Torchwood
    Walking with Dinosaurs
    Yes Prime Minister

Other UK favs
    Touch of Frost
    Cold Feet
    Cracker
    Skins
    Wild at heart

Children
    Good mix of Disney stuff. Ben 10 coming soon and other cartoon network and Boomerang stuff.

New content will be on the way. I'd say by the time other people get it in July/Aug it'll be meatier. Nonetheless, a very good start.

can you tell me what movies are available on MGM on demand?thank you

im delighted to hear American Pickers is available on demand
    cant wait til july

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I thought 'Ashes to Ashes' was the sequel to 'Life on Mars' and not the other way 'round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭lauraww

Yeah, not a bad start. Obvious new additions (I'm sure theres more) would be Life on Mars (sequel to Ashes to Ashes), To Play The King, The Final Cut (sequels to house of Cards) and more than one episode of the Royle Family (like now please).
    Oh, could we have a re-run of Cheers.

a rerun of cheers would be great,id love married with children to be added aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Wonder if they will be able to get any of the HBO series - The Wire, Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Techless wrote: »
    Wonder if they will be able to get any of the HBO series - The Wire, Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm etc ?

And game of thrones now that'd be cool.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Sky have the rights to all HBO content I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lads I've probably missed it somewhere in the thread, but are the box sets only free to HD subscribers? I've an SD sub, but get a not subscribed message for the box sets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

lauraww wrote: »
    can you tell me what movies are available on MGM on demand?thank you

A dry white season
    Childrens hour
    Coming home
    Cotton comes to harlem
    De-lovely
    Desperate hours
    Electra glide in blue
    Eureka
    F.I.S.T.
    Hannah and her sisters
    High Noon (2000)
    How to succeed in business
    Irma la douce
    Its a mad, mad, mad, mad world
    Khartoum
    New york, new york
    Platoon
    Radio days
    Rollerball (1975)
    Salvador
    Semi tough
    Stanley and Iris
    Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

True Moves on Demand

A christmas romance
    Baby comes home
    Behind the mask
    Field of honour
    First do no harm

EnterNow wrote: »
    Lads I've probably missed it somewhere in the thread, but are the box sets only free to HD subscribers? I've an SD sub, but get a not subscribed message for the box sets

No you don't need HD sub BUT you need to have Digital select or Max packages. otherwise access to the players and Movies on demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

No you don't need HD sub BUT you need to have Digital select or Max packages. otherwise access to the players and Movies on demand

I only have the basic tv sub & multiroom so no joy I suppose? Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Well, at the moment:

US:
    The Good Wife
    Nurse Jackie
    Blue Bloods
    Dexter (coming soon)
    Ice road Truckers
    American Pickers
    Pawn Stars

Best of BBC
    Ashes to Ashes
    Dr Who
    Black Adder
    Edge of Darkness
    House of Cards
    Royale Family
    Torchwood
    Walking with Dinosaurs
    Yes Prime Minister

Other UK favs
    Touch of Frost
    Cold Feet
    Cracker
    Skins
    Wild at heart

Children

Just a point on the sets. Not all the shows have every series. Nurse Jackie and Blue bloods are only series one for example.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    I only have the basic tv sub & multiroom so no joy I suppose? Ah well

Upgrading to select extra only 7 euro a month more or a tenner extra for max (assuming you're paying 25 for basic). If you already have bband and phone you can bundle in the digital select and phone and bband for 66euro per month.

Advertisement