Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Not working in Co. Dublin (north) yet. Rang UPC and they said it could be a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Dublin 8 area (Echlin St/James St) - due to go live on 26/05 according to UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

I had one set up box HD working while the other one a dvr not working.

Rang them up they tried a few things over the phone then sent out two technicans today after I rang them on Saturday.

Turns out the old box on the wall and cable ( which had been there about 7 years) was out of date and couldnt handle the new technology. They updated it in about 15 minutes and now the on demand and the remote record is working on both boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

Eamo71 wrote: »
    First two seasons of Dexter just added to the box sets!
    How much to watch a box set?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Stollaire wrote: »
    How much to watch a box set?

They're free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    They're free.

Nice, I seen a button for "subscription" for the box sets and assumed it would charge me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    They're free.

Are UPC streaming free TV series???:eek:

Will the RTÉ Player and TV3 on demand be the only catch up services?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Shifty11

just noticed today that its there. North Dublin. Nice Feature (portmarnock)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Yes they are and Movies on Demand that you pay for. TG4 player will be available in the coming weeks. No word on 4OD BBC player etc...

Just a quick note - the On Demand programming is available, at the moment it seems, for a specified amount of time. For example Dexter seasons 1&2 are available till October. Some of the kids stuff has already gone such as Fish Hooks and Jake and the Never land pirates has less episodes that it had yesterday. I noticed Jake had a "Last Chance" after some of the episodes yesterday. Also The Thick of It special and Royale Family episode are, at the moment, gone.
    So make sure you check out the stuff you want to watch and take note of when it expires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Thats definitely the netlfix model. Cheers for the heads up though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I dont have it yet but my parents (who wouldn't be the most technological people) do. Is it easy to accidentally click on a film and order it or are there a couple of steps like "are you sure you want to watch this film" etc? Dad has a habit of hitting buttons and getting lost in menus so I'm afraid he'll build up a bill by ordering films he has no intention of watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I dont have it yet but my parents (who wouldn't be the most technological people) do. Is it easy to accidentally click on a film and order it or are there a couple of steps like "are you sure you want to watch this film" etc? Dad has a habit of hitting buttons and getting lost in menus so I'm afraid he'll build up a bill by ordering films he has no intention of watching.

You need to enter your PIN code to order a movie. So its not easily done by mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

You need to enter your PIN code to order a movie. So its not easily done by mistake.

Thanks, that's good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

There's a catch up/on demand service on MGM Movies as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

One idea might be to include "On Demand" in the "What services are available at my address?" section on the UPC website. So that customers can be certain if On Demand is available.

Digital Televisionico_green_tick.pngBroadbandico_green_tick.pngHome Phoneico_green_tick.pngDigital+ HDico_green_tick.pngDigital+ico_green_tick.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

One idea might be to include "On Demand" in the "What services are available at my address?" section on the UPC website. So that customers can be certain if On Demand is available.

From talking to one of their field techs ... even they don't know until they get to site to run a test.

It seems that they can't be sure from the system end, only from the client end. Strange but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Paulw wrote: »
    From talking to one of their field techs ... even they don't know until they get to site to run a test.

It seems that they can't be sure from the system end, only from the client end. Strange but true.

they 100% can tell from the system end, on demand shows up if it is available at that address, their just not sure on release dates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

shane. wrote: »
    they 100% can tell from the system end, on demand shows up if it is available at that address, their just not sure on release dates
    I dont think they can, ours isnt working here so we got onto them about it. They did all the checks and sent an engineer out to check it out for us. As soon as he arrived, first thing he said was it wasnt available in the area for 6 to 8 weeks for us. They werent able to tell us that over the phone so obviously they cant be sure from the system end

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Simply Red wrote: »
    I dont think they can, ours isnt working here so we got onto them about it. They did all the checks and sent an engineer out to check it out for us. As soon as he arrived, first thing he said was it wasnt available in the area for 6 to 8 weeks for us. They werent able to tell us that over the phone so obviously they cant be sure from the system end

From this quote it looks like they can...
    UPC CC wrote:
    Thank you for your recent email.

Unfortunately having reviewed the services available in your area, I can confirm that the on demand service you are requesting is not yet available.

We are currently upgrading many areas and when the service is due to be released in your area you will be notified by our Sales Department.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

For more helpful information or to contact us again please visit the Customer Support section of our web site

Kind Regards,
    UPC Customer Care Team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Davy wrote: »
    From this quote it looks like they can...
    looks like they can alright, but why would they send someone here to check it for us if its just a simple case of looking at their system and seeing its not even available for us yet.....

Simply Red wrote: »

where i work we sign people up to upc, when an address is entered on their system it shows if on demand is available at that address, i dont have on demand yet and it doesnt show up when my address is entered

shane. wrote: »

Well, according to UPC support, I should have On-Demand.

A technician came and checked and said that On-Demand was not available, as no signal was coming through on that frequency.

So, seems that UPC office can see if your system can support On-Demand, but can't tell 100% if you have On-Demand or not.

My system supports On-Demand (line quality, services I have, type of device), but it is not available to me yet.

Paulw wrote: »
    Well, according to UPC support, I should have On-Demand.

A technician came and checked and said that On-Demand was not available, as no signal was coming through on that frequency.

So, seems that UPC office can see if your system can support On-Demand, but can't tell 100% if you have On-Demand or not.

My system supports On-Demand (line quality, services I have, type of device), but it is not available to me yet.

paulw, im in the same situation, my system should support it also but it is being realised in batches, so some areas in dublin have it and some dont so i wouldnt really believe what the technician tells you, in the upc sales office they cant see if your system supports it, if on demand is available at your address it will show up on your account in big bold red letters, pm me your address and i can check 2moro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I have it in Glasnevin and its working grand. Not a lot on there yet, video quality is fine but audio quality is dirt. Sounds like a 96k MP3.

Someone must be working hard on this, because today my On-Demand works.

Thurs, it didn't work when field technician from UPC came. Fri it didn't work, Sat it didn't work, but today .... it works. :D

As others have said, not a whole lot of content yet, but at least it's working for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

EnterNow wrote: »
    Lads I've probably missed it somewhere in the thread, but are the box sets only free to HD subscribers? I've an SD sub, but get a not subscribed message for the box sets

Eamo71 wrote: »
    No you don't need HD sub BUT you need to have Digital select or Max packages. otherwise access to the players and Movies on demand
    EnterNow wrote: »
    I only have the basic tv sub & multiroom so no joy I suppose? Ah well
    I guess I have the same problem, but it tells me I have to have a HD box when I try to see any of the box sets. Bit of a misleading error message if the problem is down to my subscription level.

Very misleading advertising too, I reckon.

more info now on UPC's website about On demand in terms of what you get for packages you have http://www.upc.ie/television/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Was just onto UPC and they confirmed that On Demand will not be avaialble until 13th of August in Swords.......

UPC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I presume that on-demand is not/will not be available on the standard digital box. Its available on the digtal+ box but I've got the multi-room box and its only the older box.

Advertisement