Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

darragh16 wrote: »
    I presume that on-demand is not/will not be available on the standard digital box. Its available on the digtal+ box but I've got the multi-room box and its only the older box.

You don't need a digital+ box, one of their newer digital boxes (last 2 or 3 years) will do. The on-demand stuff is streamed so not actually stored on your box.

If your multiroom box is the older type you can upgrade for I think it's €30 to avail of the on-demand features

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

bombidol wrote: »
    I have it in Glasnevin and its working grand. Not a lot on there yet, video quality is fine but audio quality is dirt. Sounds like a 96k MP3.

I live in Glasnevin but still don't have it! I'm Dublin 11 though, so maybe that's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Nah, I'm in D. 11 and it's working here

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

got a brochure in from UPC today RE On Demand. looks like Californication, Top Gear and Medium will be on their way to the free box sets.
    Will be interesting to see how shows such as Dexter and Californication play out with On Demand. They're both produced by Showtime which intends to not renew its contract with Netflix during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Eamo71 wrote: »
    got a brochure in from UPC today RE On Demand. looks like Californication, Top Gear and Medium will be on their way to the free box sets.
    Will be interesting to see how shows such as Dexter and Californication play out with On Demand. They're both produced by Showtime which intends to not renew its contract with Netflix during the summer.

Hope this doesn't happen UPC with Dexter, started watching it over the weekend, really is addictive viewing and already half way through the second series. Hoping that season 3 will be added soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Do we?

It's not working on my tv. My UPC box is not two years old and has the button for it. Is it maybe just not available here yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

We don't even have UPC in Galway. :pac:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056660203

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

It's only out in some parts of Dublin at the moment. Galway is due to get it in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wiki:
    On May 25, 2012 UPC Ireland launched its UPC On-Demand TV service in Ireland, with a full roll-out expected to be complete by September.

There is a huge thread on it over in IPTV
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056587272

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Itll come in when Upc offer 100mbits in Gakway....any sign of that yet?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Itll come in when Upc offer 100mbits in Gakway....any sign of that yet?

I think we were offered it a few weeks back...

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

nommm wrote: »
    Nah, I'm in D. 11 and it's working here

Thanks for that, guess I'll have to call them at some stage so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ahh... disappointing. Why launch nationwide ads for a service a small part of Dublin has. Thanks for the replies y'all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

On Demand is Live in Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Well that answers that question. I was in Dublin last weekend in my wife's house, (long story). Came across UPC on demand and was delighted with it. Then came home and was puzzled. Where was it?

Looks good, look forward to it arriving here.

Techless wrote: »
    Hope this doesn't happen UPC with Dexter, started watching it over the weekend, really is addictive viewing and already half way through the second series. Hoping that season 3 will be added soon.
    Interestingly, Dexter Season 3 was recently added to Netflix. Maybe outside the US it's a different deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Just something to be aware of - in order to get the On Demand system I swapped out an older Pace box for the Digital+ box; the digital audio out on the new box is coaxial (RCA) and not optical (spdif). I'll have to get a new switch that takes both RCA and SPDIF inputs or some form converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to Tech as initial question is answered and any technical followup questions can be answered by the experts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Apologies if this has already been mentioned - the 'TV Picks' option is not working when selected on 119

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

darragh16 wrote: »
    I presume that on-demand is not/will not be available on the standard digital box. Its available on the digtal+ box but I've got the multi-room box and its only the older box.

My understanding is that only works on UPC boxes, not NTL and Chorus boxes which use different middleware. UPC will swap the box on demand for a €30 or so fee.

Merged moved thread into this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Not everything that's on RTE Player is on On Demand tho, am I right?

YEp, not all the content on the Player is present. For instance there seems to be no sports. These are either rights issues or RTE taking the step of withholding some content so traffic still drives to its website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

dohboy wrote: »

It seemed to be a fairly small subset of what is available on the RTE Player. This is not clear in the advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

dohboy wrote: »

Its a similar (I'd say the same but havem't checked fully) selection to whats available on the ipad/iphone RTE player.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Eamo71 wrote: »
    YEp, not all the content on the Player is present. For instance there seems to be no sports. These are either rights issues or RTE taking the step of withholding some content so traffic still drives to its website.

its rights issues in relation to sports

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Okay, I was looking for Green Is The Colour and no sign of it on on demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What's the deal with the "subscribed" function?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

Rang UPC today to upgrade my set top box to a digital plus box to get on demand As i already have a digital plus box in a bedroom in the house and am subscribed to digital plus i assumed i would get it for no extra monthly charge
    I was told i would pay an extra 8.27 a month for th plus box but nothing for an ordinary on demand ready box. Is this right ?
    I was also told i can order a switch out online and not be charged the 30 euro upgrade charge. Cant see where that option is only to order a new point
    More confused now than before i rang. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭lauraww

has an exact date been given as to when the rest of u s in ireland will get on demand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

lauraww wrote: »
    has an exact date been given as to when the rest of u s in ireland will get on demand?

No. Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear

Advertisement